The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Been wanting to see this for a while. Actually considered watching it for my October Horror Challenge thing but it didn't fit into any of the categories that weren't already covered. It's not a new favourite but i did like it. Beautiful film. Alot of modern B&W films i question whether it would have been better in colour but this was definitely the right aesthetic for the tone, themes and story. It was very stylish too. I absolutely love the design of the town and that street they kept travelling up and down throughout, so eery creepy and it fit the loneliness theme very well. The acting was good, wasn't blown away but i wasn't really bothered by anything either. Sheila Vand was my favourite. Also OMG Hossein is the taxi/limo driver from How I Met Your Mother! I knew i had seen him somewhere haha. The love story was pretty well done i preferred the similar one in Let The Right One In but overall enjoyed it here and it certainly had its moments.

I thought this was actually Iranian when i watched this so you can imagine my shock at the violence, drugs and nudity. Had so much more to say but obviously most of it doesn't apply since it's an American film, no clue how i missed that haha. Probably because it's self described as "The first Iranian Vampire Western". I definitely tippled early on and felt like confirming my suspicions but didn't want to stop the movie as this didn't just feel western inspired it felt like it was made by someone far removed from Iranian Culture. Still think it's interesting and expected this to be alot tamer and less blatant in its criticisms and themes than it was. Blatant in this case isn't a bad thing because it's not being so obvious because it doesn't have faith in its audience, it's being obvious to say we shouldn't have to speak in metaphors and pretend like we are talking about something else we should openly speak our mind against the problems in our society. That's how i took it anyway. Definitely a brave film and i'm glad i watched it so soon after Taxi Tehran, i think this would be a good companion piece to Panahi in general even though i haven't seen any of his other films with this being a similar female perspective. Seems like Amirpour was born in England and raised in America so i do feel weird about such a Iran bashing film when she doesn't seem to have experienced it, but i don't know her story and she is obviously of Iranian descent and probably has family there. Also its feminist commentary is universal and its criticisms can easily be applied to western society so whatever.

I loved the reversal of expectations with the title: a girl walks home alone at night...and encounters a "bad man" then it flips it on its head with what the vulnerable seeming woman who is violating societal codes turns out to be. The same sort of thing happens at the start of Near Dark with the confident Caleb acting like he's in control of the situation and acting pretty forceful (although this is probably just part of the rapey 80's) in getting Mae to stay so he can have sex with her before we find out Mae's secret. It was very effective here. Moreso than Near Dark because it was obviously intentionally making Saeed unlikeable while to me at least Near Dark wanted you to just find Caleb a typical 80's bro trying to "get lucky" and sympathize with him immediately afterwards; perhaps even dislike Mae. Near Dark was directed by a woman too though so maybe she was subtly criticising and mocking the reactions or non reactions that scene most likely got from most.

The soundtrack was hit or miss for me. I wasn't into the evil/dramatic music that was chosen it seemed almost comical to me. Although again maybe i'm giving this a bit too much leeway but i'm open to the idea it was intentional because there was also some Morricone like music which seemed hilarious to me. I dunno. Think i would have preferred more obviously Iranian or at least Asian music, it was already so western (as in the west not the genre; that too though haha) inspired that i think it would have been good to blend the two cultures with the soundtrack. Actually that was an overall problem i had with it; it didn't feel very Iranian to me. Not sure if the director was too removed from that culture to make it seem like a fusion or what but that's how i felt.

Anyway glad i finally saw this. Good nom TN.

Morvern Callar

I had seen 2 other movies from this director previously, and while I wasn't in love with either, I was looking forward to this one. It just seems that her style is favorable to me. Even though this movie is the lowest rated of the three, I ended up enjoying it the most. I just enjoyed watching it and was fascinated with the main character. She is so disconnected that I wonder if she is a sociopath. Anybody that can do some of the things she did is dangerous, and she does them seemingly with no emotion. The three movies I've seen from this director are all slow moving and do not rely on story. I thought this movie had more style. The soundtrack and how it is filmed add a lot to the movie. Samantha Morton's performance will probably turn out to be one of the best in this Hall of Fame. What has been missing for me from this director are moments that make me say wow. There are no scenes I can point to that will stick in my mind, and I think that's what is preventing me from really loving her movies. She does deal with subject matter that I enjoy so I would consider myself a fan.

-

Really glad you like it Cricket. For the record i don't think it's her lowest rated film as much as its her least seen and her least conventional. Ratcatcher is her British critical darling film. It's my favourite of hers and one of my favourites in general but if there's something critics love it's bleak British drama's about poor housing estates; Ratcatcher gets bonus points for being about kids. We Need To Talk About Kevin is a Hollywood thriller about a school shooter. So both of those tick alot of boxes, Morvern Callar is her most feminine film and it's like a weird plotless fever dream so i don't think it readily appeals as much her other two.

Think i'm going to watch it again so i'll expand on some things but a "wow" for me is
WARNING: "callar" spoilers below
everything from the start until she "deals" with the body.
I love the whole film but that part really messed with me when i watched it.

Glad you agree on Morton her performance is one of my favourites this century, and i think it's by far the best in a Ramsay film.

Also for the record i've read that her new one is incredible. Ramsay directs Joaquin in a Taken like story is something i didn't even know was on my bucket list

Think i'm going to watch it again so i'll expand on some things but a "wow" for me is
WARNING: "callar" spoilers below
everything from the start until she "deals" with the body.
I love the whole film but that part really messed with me when i watched it.

Glad you agree on Morton her performance is one of my favourites this century, and i think it's by far the best in a Ramsay film.
I agree with that being the most memorable parts of the film but I do have to admit it when things like that are handled in such a matter of fact manner I kind of start doubting what I am seeing. After you know for certain it is fine but in the moment it kind of takes me out of the film a bit. Definitely an effective tactic that has been used many times but I am not sure I love it when directors use it.

This whole film is a little surreal feeling though, but in the way I like. Anyway, more thoughts later.

I agree with that being the most memorable parts of the film but I do have to admit it when things like that are handled in such a matter of fact manner I kind of start doubting what I am seeing. After you know for certain it is fine but in the moment it kind of takes me out of the film a bit. Definitely an effective tactic that has been used many times but I am not sure I love it when directors use it.

This whole film is a little surreal feeling though, but in the way I like. Anyway, more thoughts later.
WARNING: "morvern callar" spoilers below
What i liked about it was it made us: the audience like the voice in the back of her head saying "uh yeah cool partying but...your boyfriends body is lying in your house and you're pretending like he's still alive, you should probably ya know deal with that" haha. Mostly Morton is just so detached and mysterious during that part, you or at least i was completely sucked in wondering what the hell was going on with her, and she goes through various emotions and moods during it yet it's not confirmed if it's due to the death or we are just watching her over several hours change moods like everyone does.

What tactic do you mean? And what do you mean with "it is fine"? I'm confused and kinda think we're talking about something different haha.

Saw your rating. Glad you thought it was alright or whatever, hope you got something out of it.

WARNING: "morvern callar" spoilers below
What i liked about it was it made us: the audience like the voice in the back of her head saying "uh yeah cool partying but...your boyfriends body is lying in your house and you're pretending like he's still alive, you should probably ya know deal with that" haha. Mostly Morton is just so detached and mysterious during that part, you or at least i was completely sucked in wondering what the hell was going on with her, and she goes through various emotions and moods during it yet it's not confirmed if it's due to the death or we are just watching her over several hours change moods like everyone does.

What tactic do you mean? And what do you mean with "it is fine"? I'm confused and kinda think we're talking about something different haha.

Saw your rating. Glad you thought it was alright or whatever, hope you got something out of it.
WARNING: "morvern" spoilers below
Like the dead body is there and she does nothing with it...then it's still there...then it's still there. I have seen this done before where the director isn't acknowledging something to the point where the viewer begins to wonder if it is even there physically.

I am just considering it a tactic because I have seen it done in other films and have to think it is deliberate. Maybe I just over think it though by needing an acknowledgement.

I liked it, not as much as her other films obviously, but I did like it.

Like the dead body is there and she does nothing with it...then it's still there...then it's still there. I have seen this done before where the director isn't acknowledging something to the point where the viewer begins to wonder if it is even there physically.

I am just considering it a tactic because I have seen it done in other films and have to think it is deliberate. Maybe I just over think it though by needing an acknowledgement.

I liked it, not as much as her other films obviously, but I did like it.
Right. Think it was the "it is fine" that threw me off. Morvern Callar is an adaptation and the same thing happens in the novel so it wasn't Ramsay's tactic.

Glad you liked it.

For the record i haven't read the novel but i did read a plot summary after watching it, i've got no interest in the book or the author but i was curious if the ambiguity and tone was Ramsay's doing or not. It largely was the novel kinda had to tell you how Morvern was feeling about things and it did. Plus Ramsay's filming and soundtrack choices changed it into something completely different, surreal as Sean put it i found it like a weird stressful...and then calm and reassuring fever dream. That was from a summary and a few reviews at least.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
So glad I saw a movie previously so that I could read your review right away, Camo. I'm always intrigued with your insight and perspective on the films you watch and you find some extraordinary things within them.
I had no idea this was an American film and simply assumed it was Iranian due to language and the people involved. Being impressed by the bravery of subject matter and characters within the story.
I also never really considered the political aspect of it, which is food for thought, and since I wanted to do a rewatch for a more in depth review, this'll be a wonderful seedling planted in my viewing mind.
Trying to remember some of the music to the soundtrack you wrote about so I can't quite comment about them accurately. I do remember the personal music the girl listened to when alone and when she brought the boy home, which I enjoyed.
And yes, the street was ideal for creepiness and expressing loneliness. Very much so.

I'll be going to my library today, so I may try to find your nom and whatever else from the list that may be in at this time.

I had no idea this was an American film and simply assumed it was Iranian due to language and the people involved.
Yep it was filmed in California and was funded by an Indiegogo campaign, can't get any more American than that The director was born in England and raised in America. Sheila Vand who plays The Girl is American too. Think the others are as well not sure. I tippled because it seemed really American to me, like if actual Iranian's were trying to do something as American as this i think it would've felt like a bad parody; and this wasn't of course which is a compliment. Another thing was the dude from How I Met Your Mother being in it, he's one of the few Iranians working in Hollywood i know would have been weird if he went back to Iran to film something like this what they'd be at risk of being arrested for.

Trying to remember some of the music to the soundtrack you wrote about so I can't quite comment about them accurately. I do remember the personal music the girl listened to when alone and when she brought the boy home, which I enjoyed.
I really liked the music the girl was listening to as well. The two examples i gave are within a couple of minutes of each other the evil/dark music was
WARNING: "girl walks" spoilers below
when Saeed was killed and in the following scene that dude was driving to Spaghetti Western music which cracked me up.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

About Morvern Callar

...She is so disconnected that I wonder if she is a sociopath.

Samantha Morton's performance will probably turn out to be one of the best in this Hall of Fame.

What has been missing for me from this director are moments that make me say wow.
-
For some reason it never crossed my mind that she was a sociopath. As the film was linear without any flashbacks or backstory (which I liked), I figured at first she was reacting out of shock, then her actions were guided by greed for money and stupidity. I kept thinking when she buried the body, bad mistake! you're going to go jail for murder! Though I never thought she was a murderer myself. I kind of thought it might have ended with her being arrested.

I thought she did fine as an actresses. But nothing in her performance captivated me, I suppose that's because her character is unlikable, so I didn't have any emotional feelings for her. I was never emotional moved by the film, so I wasn't wowed per say, but I did appreciate and like the style of film making. I was thinking of the rating I would give when I review it, and I would rate it as same as you.

I took it as anger at him for killing himself and leaving her. That would be consistent with her stealing his lifes work. Obviously that was meaningful to him and he wanted it and him to be known for it so she stole that from him as revenge.
It doesn't confirm anything though so it's anyones guess.

I think I know what you mean and it had a similar effect on me. I never felt a sense of urgency or consequences from the actions that Morvern took, which isn't a complaint, just an observation as it's the style of film making that the director choose. But it did seem to make her story a little surreal or observational.

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
That's probably why I never thought Morvern was a sociopath or a murdery, because when she cuts up the body it's done off screen and with little fan fare, that I didn't react to it emotionally, other than to think oh that would be gross, but the scene itself wasn't gross and didn't have much impact on me.

I took it as anger at him for killing himself and leaving her. That would be consistent with her stealing his lifes work. Obviously that was meaningful to him and he wanted it and him to be known for it so she stole that from him as revenge.
It doesn't confirm anything though so it's anyones guess.
That's interesting. I never felt that way about her. Did you feel any warmness towards her character? I didn't, but I did like her friend Lanna. I didn't hate Morvern (the character not that actress) but if she was a real person she struck me as someone without a clue. But no I didn't think of her as evil or even a wrong doer, though she does do wrong. It didn't feel really wrong, only it felt like a bad idea for her.

clueless tonight or tomorrow for me. Feeling sad

That's interesting. I never felt that way about her. Did you feel any warmness towards her character? I didn't, but I did like her friend Lanna. I didn't hate Morvern (the character not that actress) but if she was a real person she struck me as someone without a clue. But no I didn't think of her as evil or even a wrong doer, though she does do wrong. It didn't feel really wrong, only it felt like a bad idea for her.
I think the film confirms nothing about her and that's what makes it so intriguing in no small part due to Mortons performance. Whatever happened effected her in some way or she would have reacted immediately to the body. Instead we spend the movie watching so many different versions of her and never being sure which one is the real her and how deeply affected she was by this...or not. She could be a sociopath or she could be in the middle of a breakdown.

That's what made it interesting. Sounds like you guys wanted the book that had a straightforward narrative and spelled everything out for you. That to me sounds incredibly dull but whatever.

I think the film confirms nothing about her and that's what makes it so intriguing in no small part due to Mortons performance...
I agree, that's why I said it reminded me of Wanda (1970) we know something is going on in her head but are not told what, and I liked that we don't know.

Sounds like you guys wanted the book that had a straightforward narrative and spelled everything out for you. That to me sounds incredibly dull but whatever.
That's not what I'm saying. I don't want any answers about her as to why she seems 'off' to me.

I don't want any answers about her as to why she seems 'off' to me.
It sounds like you wanted the film to make you feel one way or the other though; either she is evil or she is deeply hurt. Unless i'm reading you wrong.

If i'm right then it sounds like a straightforward adaptation of the book would've been something you preferred. In that it's a much more simple tale of a breakdown, as it describes how Morvern is feeling at various points. This is Ramsay's own thing i'm guessing she just liked the story outline and wanted to bring something to a small Scottish Author. That would have attempted to get you to sympathise with her. To me though that would have been an incredibly dull film and we wouldn't be talking about it right now outside stuff like "yeah i really felt for her during this moment".

It sounds like you wanted the film to make you feel one way or the other though; either she is evil or she is deeply hurt. Unless i'm reading you wrong.
Yes...you're reading me wrong. I don't want the film to explain it all to me, nor do I want the film to decide if she is troubled vs evil. I liked the ambiguity of it all. As I said in my review I liked the mystique.

In my last few post...I'm trying to explain the thought processes in my own head, as I watched the film...And for some reason I never thought of her as evil or as a socipath (doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, it's just how I personally felt during the movie and how I interpreted what I was seeing).

So it was very interesting to read that Cricket did consider socipath her motivation and to read that you consider her possibly a murder...See that's interesting to me...the what, why and how we viewed the character's actions.