The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

About to post my Nothing Bad Can Happen review. Just one last time there's spoilers so please don't read this until you see the film. The reviews will be kept in the third post of the thread.

Nothing Bad Can Happen

Yep this was absolutely horrific but it was really great. Sascha Alexander Gersak as Benno was unbelievable. Such a disarming presence at first, i could figure he was going to be the villain of this film right away but it was also completely believable that Tore wouldn't feel anything was off. His interest in him and offers to help felt genuine, like someone you'd want to hang around with particularly if you had no one outside your church like Tore. What really got to me was what lead him back to Benno was something that deeply disturbed him which shouldn't have, seeing his church buddy and a girl; it seriously messed him up like he was going to have a fit again, like that's the worst thing that could happen. You could feel something horrific coming from Benno which made his overreaction to seeing that seem all the worse. Not to mention him thinking Benno was a gift from god and obviously getting something in the early stages of their relationship that he was missing without a real family. Got to say the film did an amazing job of breaking us in, it took its time and increased the tempo bit by bit making it all the more effective when it got properly heavy. Letting us know Benno has an aggressive and macho streak with the bumper car scene and his demeaning his son following it, then the wooden pallet scene was such a tiny little forgettable thing that was kinda perfect; even if he didn't mean to drop that he still didn't apologize instead looking at it for a couple of seconds before walking away. For such a small thing it set things in motion perfectly.

The atmosphere in some of the scenes was crushing. Actually i'm not even sure if it was the atmosphere or just me expecting something to happen, either way some of the scenes while there was still an illusion of everything being fine were very tough to watch. Like the presents scene at the party; my lord that party scene if i watch this again i'll probably skip that before any of the actual violence. Everything about it; the girls treatment of Benno in front of everyone including this stranger Tore, Tore's weirded out reaction to how hands on Benno was with his daughter, and more than anything his daughter genuinely thanking Tore for the gift when she had to be prompted by her mother to thank him. I mean just his tone when he asks where Tore got it, such a well masked dark scene thinking that this aggressive macho dude Benno has been one upped by this skinny albino looking kid who literally calls himself a jesus freak. At first i thought the punch was overkill, feeling it should have came later as it was too early and it didn't make much sense that he stayed. I still think that and i think it could've worked better if the punch happened after his moment in the tent with Benno's daughter that night, it would have given him reason to stay and Benno reason to do it. The abruptness of it was definitely what made it work though. Thinking about it i think it worked alot during that moment because it brought up alot of questions. Mainly why did Benno's friends and especially his wife barely react to it, made it seem like there was something dark going on in this family and it wasn't just a sociopathic dude.

The only thing i'm not sure about is the faith theme. Maybe i was just preoccupied with everything else to notice but i didn't really see how it tied in with everything other than in superficial ways. Stuff like Benno's wife asking if he's afraid of hell then Benno throwing him a glare when Tore said no was too on the money for me, or Benno's "save her" about the cat after Tore discover the sexual abuse. Another was the second 'get jesus to fix the car' scene, as if Tore has finally been broken and he evil Benno had suceeded, guess that's just my atheism showing as this film was spiritual and kind of leaned towards Tore having a connection to god that was taken from him when he could no longer believe in good. I'm probably taking things too literally though. For the record i definitely think his faith being broken worked just not the car breakdown scene that seemed too on the nose and kinda supernatural to me. I think this being a test of faith and him believing in the good in people was taking to extremes at times, particularly when he kept acting in ways he had to know would anger Benno after his violent nature and quick temper had became apparent, unless Tore was just stupid. I hate saying something like that because it's similar to blaming a rape victim for the way they dress. Maybe that actually improves the portrayal as it shows the denial and the "things will improve" mindset abuse victims can fall under particularly when they have nothing else like Tore. If that's the case i think it was a misstep having Tore on guard at times then, or maybe that indicates it was more acceptance of the abuse which seems to be a common thing in certain victims. Either way i'm overthinking this haha, all that matter is it was horrible. I mean i don't even know what to say about what happens to him when he returns.

One thing i'm curious about is what people will think of the wife. Was she evil herself or was she scared of Benno and just doing what she thought he wanted? I guess it could be that she has been through his abuse herself and figures it would be better for it to be directed towards this stranger than her or her family. The rotten chicken scene which is one of the most vile things i've seen especially when he starts eating himself, is the big one for her and i'm not sure what to think. She is the one who suggests it and she feeds it to him, at times it kind of looks like she's smiling during it but that's when she looks at Benno when she looks away she looks like she is going to be sick. There's also her emptying the plate Tore is trying to eat the scraps off of when Benno first stops feeding him and her aformentioned non reaction to the first punch. As i said i'm not really sure what to think. Obviously what she is doing is horrific but i'm not sure if she has been conditioned into this and it's possibly some twisted attempt to protect her family at the expense of a stranger, if that's what it is i think that's a very interesting take. Either way she is so confusing. What she does to him after he was beating to the tv would suggest she is just evil herself, but from her words she sounds like she blames him for ruining her family now as if she has been manipulated by Benno, as if she is telling herself Benno is not a bad person since she is stuck in this situation and it was Tore who caused it. There's also stuff like her helping him after the chicken scene. I dunno, throw her friend in and i'm starting to think i missed something.

Anyway i don't want to keep going on i was trying to keep this short but different things kept coming to mind. This is also pretty scattered as i haven't been able to collect my thoughts properly and no way am i editing this haha. Not a pleasant film but extremely effective. One of the most harrowing depictions of abuse i've seen and it's not the violence, the violence is messed up but i've seen more graphically violent films than this that don't get under my skin this way. It was the little things i mentioned; the atmosphere, the writing, the buildups in general and more than anything the character of Benno. For the record i didn't think this was like Funny Games, the films i thought of most were The Girl Next Door and An American Crime and just the real life crime in general minus the religion. Excellent nom Cricket.

Glad you thought highly of it as I was unsure if anyone would.
Think most will agree it's well made and acted. It's a very heavy film though so they may have problems there. Think it will do pretty well overall anyway.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night next for me.

Little Women: I wanna read the book before seeing this.
Ack! reading the book first is a sure way of ruining the movie, IMO Seriously so many times people have said they didn't like the movie because it didn't live up to the book. But no movie really can ever match what the reader can image in their own head. Anyway, I'm glad you haven't read the book

Citizen brought up the possibility that the accents could be too strong in Morvern Callar. I seriously don't think they are but i'm not going to be a good judge of that so if they are ask me and i'll try and find subs for it.

It's definitely a lot less than Ratcatcher so if you could handle that then you should be fine.
I'll try and watch it soon and report back. Though bear in mind I struggle with any strong English accents. Often with British films I need to use sub titles, unless it's what is called 'Queen's English' then I can understand it fine.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Think most will agree it's well made and acted. It's a very heavy film though so they may have problems there. Think it will do pretty well overall anyway.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night next for me.
As usual, I'm curious to see what Cricket's film will be like. I've enjoyed a few of his recent ones: Barbara, Sorcerer, Body and Soul just to name a few off the top of my head. So I am pretty curious.

And I'm DYING to see what you think of AGWHAAN.

I just did a quick search of movies and the majority of them are actually at my library with a couple that I did find links with the only exception being The Last Supper which I was kinda surprised that I didn't find right off the bat. So, maybe, I may holler out for assistance at some point if I don't find it.
Otherwise, it definitely looks like I'm good to go for this.

EDIT: made a mistake, Barbara was CosmicRunaway's, THANKS CR for letting me know. But he DID nominate Little Foxes in the first one I was in for the 40's which I loved

Ack!
I'll try and watch it soon and report back. Though bear in mind I struggle with any strong English accents. Often with British films I need to use sub titles, unless it's what is called 'Queen's English' then I can understand it fine.
that actually sounds like a fun little challenge.
I do pretty good with british, irish and scottish accents normally, so we'll see if I can understand or be reading subtitles. No worries since I'll probably getting this from my library so I'll be covered when I check it out.

I just did a quick search of movies and the majority of them are actually at my library with a couple that I did find links with the only exception being The Last Supper which I was kinda surprised that I didn't find right off the bat. So, maybe, I may holler out for assistance at some point if I don't find it.
No problem just PM me when you need/want it.

I've sorted the Morvern Callar subs thing out so if anyone else needs them PM me.

why do i even try

I already had it private when i was keeping track of the nominated films, after i revealed i thought i may as well make it public. Don't even really not what use it is, at the end i can order it i guess.

Morvern Callar (Lynne Ramsay, 2002)

I'm glad to be able to say, I liked it...I wasn't sure at first if I would, but the film kept me interested by intrigue. That intrigue is generated by the mystery of why does Morvern do what she does, and what motivates her.

I find the mystique that the film presented to be interesting and in that aspect it reminded me of another movie directed by a woman Wanda (1970) Both showed an odd, yet interesting woman that we the viewer follow up close and personal. Both women seem to be heading towards trouble and yet they're mostly escaping from boredom.

I'd call this film honest filmmakingin that it never spoonfeeds emotions to us. And it never tells us what to think by use of heavy camera work or overly dramatic score. It seemed honest in that the POV is always from Morvern's view point. We follow her around as if we're standing right there beside her. That felt like a very personal style of film making. There's very few extreme closeups or majestic wide angle shots, no fast cut edits, it looked to be filmed with a hand held camera with a medium range telephoto lens and that made it feel like I was there. I like this style of film making.

I didn't feel connected to the character, but then again I don't think many people would, and that too is honest as not every person in this world is likable....or are they so evil that you love to hate them. Morvern is an open book, but never does the film tell us to like or hate her. That's refreshing.

The most emotional engaging part for me was the friendship bond between Morvern and Lanna. I liked both actresses and the fact it follows just those two. I really got a sense that this was directed by a woman director in that it's more about the shared time, then it is about an overly dramatic event. Even the scenes that could have been shown as deeply dark and disturbing where done in a more subdued way and I suppose one could call that a feminine perspective too. And I liked that.

Great nom for a Women Directors Hof

Glad you liked it Citizen I agree with alot of what you said and i loved the way it was filmed, it annoyed me a bit at first but i felt it suited it as it went on. Samantha Morton gives one of my favourite performances this century. That was the first time i had seen her, recently i saw her again in the Woody Allen film Sweet and Lowdown, she plays a mute character and is again fantastic. She's someone i'll be looking out for.

Did those subs work then or did you go without them?

Glad you liked it Citizen I agree with alot of what you said and i loved the way it was filmed, it annoyed me a bit at first but i felt it suited it as it went on. Samantha Morton gives one of my favourite performances this century. That was the first time i had seen her, recently i saw her again in the Woody Allen film Sweet and Lowdown, she plays a mute character and is again fantastic. She's someone i'll be looking out for.

Did those subs work then or did you go without them?
I knew she looked familiar to me while watching the film last night, and I just read she was also in The Minority Report. Haven't seen the Woody film.

Yes I used the subs and I needed them! I could understand Morvern...Samantha Morton as she's a British actress, but her friend Lanna...Kathleen McDermott, I couldn't understand a word at first. But with the subs on, I found I started understanding her so only needed them at times. Still totally worth having them. Even some American films have the actors dialogue so mumbled, that I use subs.

enjoyed the review, @Citizen Rules. Know what you mean about some mumbling in movies, we ALWAYS have the subs on.

Watched Orlando last night and nodded in and out for a large chunk of the second half of the movie so I'll have to do a rewatch of it.
Enjoyed the movie. Very introspect in composition. And the only reason I fell asleep was because it was very late at night.