Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

Seen ten Hawks films now. I have to say he is a mixed bag for me. Definitely want to watch his whole filmography someday, of course, I can't say that I will be running to do so however. As with a few other well known old Hollywood directors I am not sure how much of an auteur I see in him. That is not necessarily a negative as a lot of cinephiles would probably take it. I think to be adaptable and work with the material you want and as you see fit can be very much a positive. Here are my rankings:

The Big Sleep

Only Angels Have Wings

Rio Bravo

His Girl Friday

Barbary Coast

To Have And Have Not

Red River
(Have to rewatch this one, my memory has it ranked higher than this)
The Big Sky

Scarface

Bringing Up Baby

We are going to be watching Jim Jarmusch films next if anyone is interested in joining in.

This looks interesting but I haven't seen any Jarmusch films except for Night on Earth, which I quite liked and it made me want to check his other stuff out too.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

This looks interesting but I haven't seen any Jarmusch films except for Night on Earth, which I quite liked and it made me want to check his other stuff out too.
Join us. I have only seen three that's a big reason I chose him. Just watched another last night.

Join us. I have only seen three that's a big reason I chose him. Just watched another last night.
Alright I guess I'll give this a try then

if you ever do herzog, wenders, godard, or bresson count me in

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Seen ten Hawks films now. I have to say he is a mixed bag for me. Definitely want to watch his whole filmography someday, of course, I can't say that I will be running to do so however. As with a few other well known old Hollywood directors I am not sure how much of an auteur I see in him. That is not necessarily a negative as a lot of cinephiles would probably take it. I think to be adaptable and work with the material you want and as you see fit can be very much a positive. Here are my rankings:

The Big Sleep

Only Angels Have Wings

Rio Bravo

His Girl Friday

Barbary Coast

To Have And Have Not

Red River
(Have to rewatch this one, my memory has it ranked higher than this)
The Big Sky

Scarface

Bringing Up Baby

We are going to be watching Jim Jarmusch films next if anyone is interested in joining in.
He's mixed for me too. But there is something that compels me to watch more of his stuff as well.

Already seen a Jarmusch? Look forward to the thoughts.

He's mixed for me too. But there is something that compels me to watch more of his stuff as well.

Already seen a Jarmusch? Look forward to the thoughts.
Yeah, watched Stranger Than Paradise last night. Get something up tonight.

Stranger Than Paradise

This put me in the mind of Breathless, which isn't a good thing. I don't know if that's just the aesthetic, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I like this a bit more and that is almost exclusively to do with the character of Eddie who is the only character that gave me some enjoyment. I love a good hangout movie but I really want the characters to have much more life than is given here.

I also grow pretty frustrated by conflict in films or television when it could be avoided by simple communication. There is a ton of that here and it bothered me quite a bit. It even ends on that note which I am sure fans of the film like but I found irritating.

Like Breathless the editing in the film also bothered me. The long black transitions just drew attention that I didn't find necessary. I really didn't find another purpose for these, nut maybe I am missing something.

In addition to the character of Eddie the other thing I enjoyed was the theme of everywhere being the same no matter where you go. I like how they are always just in the living space, pretty bored and looking for the next thing. Jarmuch shoots the exteriors so it feels this way as well. Even the walk on the beach feels very grey and fairly depressing. The gift shop Eva visits in Florida really drives this point home. Eddie fits in with this theme when every place that is brought up he responds by saying, "that place is beautiful". Then when asked if he has ever been there always the same, "no". Definitely the humor I got from the film.

There is enough here that I am looking forward to going further with Jarmusch. Really I didn't enjoy this all that much.

Stranger Than Paradise ranks high on my list of acclaimed films i don't understand the love for. I constantly heard that it was a masterpiece and Jarmusch' best film, i've since watching it read several reviews on why it's apparently so great but man i don't see it at all. It's kinda enjoyable at times but for the most part it is very dull this is what i posted about it:

Stranger Than Paradise -
-

This may be the most disappointing film ever for me. I was so ready for a
film after everything i'd heard about this and after how much i loved/liked both Dead Man and Ghost Dog. It's so so dull though, i get the point of everything and got the low-key jokes and just the subtle humour and sadness in the overall situation throughout but it was mind numbingly boring. Maybe it will work for me at a later date but for now i found this mostly very dull and at times difficult to sit through.
I like Jarmusch alot but Stranger Than Paradise wasn't for me either.

Stranger Than Paradise ranks high on my list of acclaimed films i don't understand the love for. I constantly heard that it was a masterpiece and Jarmusch' best film, i've since watching it read several reviews on why it's apparently so great but man i don't see it at all. It's kinda enjoyable at times but for the most part it is very dull this is what i posted about it:

I like Jarmusch alot but Stranger Than Paradise wasn't for me either.
As usual, you said it better than me. I don't get the very high praise at al and agree with you completely. I was so excited to start with this when I saw Samoean Lawyer's 4.5 the other day. Oh well. Might do Mystery Train next.

Which Jarmusch films are you guys watching?

I'm guessing not Dead Man since both of you have seen it. The only other one i've seen is Ghost Dog and i really love it.

I'm guessing not Dead Man since both of you have seen it. The only other one i've seen is Ghost Dog and i really love it.
Mystery Train, Down By Law, Permanent Vacation are the other three definite. I really want to watch Dead Man again as well. I would like to see Ghost Dog because I haven't seen that. We will see how much of a head of steam I can get. I am going to have a lot of time for movie watching the week of Thanksgiving. I want to watch a few women directed films this month as well.

Mystery Train, Down By Law, Permanent Vacation are the other three definite. I really want to watch Dead Man again as well. I would like to see Ghost Dog because I haven't seen that. We will see how much of a head of steam I can get. I am going to have a lot of time for movie watching the week of Thanksgiving. I want to watch a few women directed films this month as well.
I'll join in with a few if i'm still around, been meaning to see more from Jarmusch. Not seen any of those.

Here's my Ghost Dog thing if you guys end up watching that:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

Just my second Jarmusch after Dead Man and i've completely adored both, got to see more from him. I read this is a homage to Le Samourai (one of my favourite films) and this is definitely evident but it also had plenty of Jarmusch's own touches with the humour and just general oddness. The film had certain cliches that at first bothered me; Ghost Dog being so gentle, well read, meditative, an animal lover (practically at one with them actually), etc with little personal life to speak of definitely is familiar territory for badass movie hitmen and the mafia were extremely typical; exactly how you expect them to be portrayed. It became clear early on that Jarmusch completely recognized these things and he made it evident that the film wasn't taking itself seriously which is why it worked so well, two similar scenes in particular show this well; Louie's meeting scene with the others were we find out about the hit on Ghost Dog, he is trying to convey this ridiculous story of a hitman called Ghost Dog who gets in contact with him by pigeon; Sonny repeating everything he was being told as it got more and more unbelievable made it clear in a funny way that the film is aware this is extremely silly and the other being the scene where Ghost Dog confronts Louie, again in a similar fashion Louie clearly ridicules the idea of Ghost Dog following samurai codes. These sorts of scenes allowed me to take this as it was a fun, silly homage to certain tropes rather than a serious crime film and thanks to this it worked wonders. As i said the mafia were typical, they were caricatures, no actual defining traits to separate them from the hundreds of other similar characters there are out there, but what they were was extremely funny. Just about every scene with any of them was hilarious, those two aforementioned scenes maybe being my favourite, this humour did well to counteract the more moody, serious Ghost Dog scenes for me. Ghost Dog himself was fantastic too, i loved the blending of two cultures, his conversation with the little girl and more than anything how cool he was. Jef Costello might be the most cool character in film for me and i like how Jarmusch took his own unique approach to that sort of character. Loved the soundtrack too, great film.

-
I really loved it, think Jarmusch is more than anything a huge movie nerd and this feels like a homage to genres he really appreciates that he doesn't think gets enough attention. You'll probably like it Sean as the Le Samourai references are abundant.

I haven't seen Dead Man so I'm hoping we do watch it.

Also, if we do actually end up watching it for this, here's my review of Night on Earth which I wrote for the 14th HoF.

Night on Earth (1991)

Night on Earth is Jim Jarmusch's 1991 anthology comedy-drama about taxi drivers and their passengers in five different cities around the world. This was another film I went into blind, but I quite enjoyed it.

Los Angeles: The weakest of the bunch. The plot of the segment was generally quite uninteresting and Winona Ryder seemed to be a strange choice to play a tomboy taxi driver, however Gene Rowlands was quite decent. -

New York: Quite a strong segment. Giancarlo Esposito and Armin Mueller-Stahl were solid as the passenger and driver respectively. The plot was also quite interesting and had some great humour. -

Paris: Pretty nice segment. The cast was quite good and plot was nice. Not much else to say. -

Rome: Favourite of the bunch. Roberto Benigni was absolutely hilarious as the eccentric cabbie who confesses his sins to his priest passenger. The film is probably worth a watch just for this and the New York segments alone. -

Helsinki: Another relatively strong segment about three workers, one of whom has been fired returning home in the early hours of morning. The story told by the driver was quite depressing and moving, but I thought this was definitely the best segment to end the film on -

Overall, quite a solid film and nomination for this Hof.