Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Midnight Express (1978)

After several posters mentioned it I gave it a watch. It’s fantastic. This is cinema and the type of film that has remained fresh. An American man’s experience in a Turkish prison. It is simply captivating watching the character and characters inhabit this foreign, gritty and violent environment.

Based on a true story although I’d want to really find out what really happened as the only thing that somewhat let this excellent film down was the ending and my believability regarding it. I felt it was contrived in terms of the protagonists final interaction with the main villain. But perhaps fact can be stranger than fiction.

Recommended for anyone interested in an intriguing personal drama showcasing the darker side of life that has stood the test of time.

4.5/5
Great film! Yep based on a true story. He was a regular smuggler but got caught when the PLO started up their terrorism in turkey and the authorities were checking planes for bombs. Young and dumb. When he got home he joined the speaking circuit. Sadly Brad Davis died after that movie from a first time hot shot of heroin or coke - cant remember which. Excellent acting in that. Really believable. Destroyed tourism in turkey (so very different to travelling in that beautiful country) nd I seem to recall it was banned for decades.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Great film! Yep based on a true story. He was a regular smuggler but got caught when the PLO started up their terrorism in turkey and the authorities were checking planes for bombs. Young and dumb. When he got home he joined the speaking circuit. Sadly Brad Davis died after that movie from a first time hot shot of heroin or coke - cant remember which. Excellent acting in that. Really believable. Destroyed tourism in turkey (so very different to travelling in that beautiful country) nd I seem to recall it was banned for decades.
Wow that’s full on. Thanks for the info. Have you read the book? Any difference regarding the ending and what happens to the warden? If you remember....

The House By The Cemetery

Had to watch this dubbed as the subtitles i had weren't syncing up right with the video, think that affected my enjoyment somewhat. My problem with the regular scenes here wasn't even that they were jarring, they were so so dull. Great horror as usual though. Man the first kill in this is outstanding, the sound when the knife strikes her head is incredible. I'd definitely watch a documentary explaining how these Fulci/Argento films made all the sounds and gore. My low rating was due to those regular scenes, my mind wandered constantly when there was no killing, wasn't able to follow the film properly due to this. Also the dubbing and the performances. On the plus side the kid Bob looked like a young Klaus Kinski, creeped me right out haha, then again he was terrible.

That's the 22nd Horror i've watched this month and the fourth and final Fulci. This was the only misstep for Fulci so far, enjoyed the others. I'd go:

01. The New York Ripper
02. The Beyond
03. Zombi 2
04. The House By The Cemetery

Wow that’s full on. Thanks for the info. Have you read the book? Any difference regarding the ending and what happens to the warden? If you remember....
Yeah really obsessed with it. I remember being dragged onto the tarmac at kashmir airport to have my bag researched when found with a swiss army knife in my fanny pack just after a plane was blown up and all I could hear was the theme music.
I havent read the book yet but a lot of articles on the net. Billy didnt kill that fat bastard warden - someone else did. I dont think it was connected to his escape. There were a few discrepancies but not many - main one that pissed off Billy is Stone made him out to be a first time smuggler. That was his fifth crossing.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Mate lol, the guy the movie is based on Billy Hayes is still alive. I’ve fond and article and yea the ending wasn’t accurate but that’s ok and a minor cripe from me. The actor who played him, Brad Davis died a decade or so after the film was released...apparently was diagnosed with hiv and committed suicide via overdose,

Mate lol, the guy the movie is based on Billy Hayes is still alive. I’ve fond and article and yea the ending wasn’t accurate but that’s ok and a minor cripe from me. The actor who played him, Brad Davis died a decade or so after the film was released...apparently was diagnosed with hiv and committed suicide via overdose,
Yes he's alive but the actor is dead. I think Billy is now a yoga teacher. Probably still doesnt think he did anything wrong.

My god, Turkey was absolutely hammered after that came out. Ended up with a much maligned reputation.

The House By The Cemetery

Had to watch this dubbed as the subtitles i had weren't syncing up right with the video, think that affected my enjoyment somewhat. My problem with the regular scenes here wasn't even that they were jarring, they were so so dull. Great horror as usual though. Man the first kill in this is outstanding, the sound when the knife strikes her head is incredible. I'd definitely watch a documentary explaining how these Fulci/Argento films made all the sounds and gore. My low rating was due to those regular scenes, my mind wandered constantly when there was no killing, wasn't able to follow the film properly due to this. Also the dubbing and the performances. On the plus side the kid Bob looked like a young Klaus Kinski, creeped me right out haha, then again he was terrible.

That's the 22nd Horror i've watched this month and the fourth and final Fulci. This was the only misstep for Fulci so far, enjoyed the others. I'd go:

01. The New York Ripper
02. The Beyond
03. Zombi 2
04. The House By The Cemetery
So overall, you give Fulci a thumbs up? I like your selection.

So overall, you give Fulci a thumbs up? I like your selection.
Yeah absolutely. The New York Ripper and The Beyond were great and i liked Zombi 2 a good amount too. House By The Cemetery is the only one i'd lean towards negative on so far.

Deep Red is still my favourite Italian Horror so far, it's actually first of all the Horrors i've watched this month, here's the list: https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...llenge-ranked/

Needful Things is the only horror i've watched that i'd call genuinely bad, so it's been a good month so far.

Oh and he never said I f your sons and your daughters to the judge either. He said I forgive you, but that wouldnt have been as interesting to watch.

I believe Billy went back to turkey a few years later for some speaking engagement and apologised for insulting the Turks - the only show of remorse he gave.

The Babysitter. I didnt get it but I was dozing on and off. Jonah was great and so was Samara who is also stunning, ending was fun but yeah, didnt get it. I love you to instantly declaring to his parents he doesnt love her anymore? Nup did not work for me.

Yeah absolutely. The New York Ripper and The Beyond were great and i liked Zombi 2 a good amount too. House By The Cemetery is the only one i'd lean towards negative on so far.

Deep Red is still my favourite Italian Horror so far, it's actually first of all the Horrors i've watched this month, here's the list: https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...llenge-ranked/

Needful Things is the only horror i've watched that i'd call genuinely bad, so it's been a good month so far.
Great list! And of course "Deep Red" is a fav Argento of mine too. With the Fulcis, try going earlier for a couple of movies. Like "A Lizard in a Woman's Skin", and "Don't Tortute a Duckling". The former scored by Morricone. Oh my god.

Great list! And of course "Deep Red" is a fav Argento of mine too. With the Fulcis, try going earlier for a couple of movies. Like "A Lizard in a Woman's Skin", and "Don't Tortute a Duckling". The former scored by Morricone. Oh my god.
Yeah will be checking out more from him, thanks for the recs. Have to see more from Argento too, only seen Deep Red and Suspiria. A big horror fan friend of mine says he has been awful for about 20 years but prior to that he was consistently great.

Would also like to give Suspiria another shot. It was the first film like that i watched and i just couldn't handle the dialogue and performances. Gotten more used to it though and i think it possibly has the best score of any film as well as amazing visuals so i'd be surprised if it didn't go up now i'm more used to those types of films.

Yeah will be checking out more from him, thanks for the recs. Have to see more from Argento too, only seen Deep Red and Suspiria. A big horror fan friend of mine says he has been awful for about 20 years but prior to that he was consistently great.

Would also like to give Suspiria another shot. It was the first film like that i watched and i just couldn't handle the dialogue and performances. Gotten more used to it though and i think it possibly has the best score of any film as well as amazing visuals so i'd be surprised if it didn't go up now i'm more used to those types of films.
Your friend is quite right. If I could be cheeky and recommend the next Argento, I'd say "The Bird with the Crystal Plumage". Another exquisite Morricone score.

I am going to watch one more for Halloween, at least...Ever been sucked out of a building and eaten by a giant monster_!@#*#*

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
The Spielberg doc was just not interesting. Short of the parts about Schindler's List, it seemed uninspired.

for Shia LaBeouf who is prefect rebel.
The movie is a waste of time, IMO. A lot of people recommended me it and I really don't know why. Maybe I didn't understand the message, but I didn't even notice any.
That's a real shame you didn't enjoy it. I thought it was one of the best movies of the year. That girl had never acted before and she gives an incredible performance. It had an almost docu-feel to it. Didn't you feel as if you were on a road trip with them? Excellent film.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
That's a real shame you didn't enjoy it. I thought it was one of the best movies of the year. That girl had never acted before and she gives an incredible performance. It had an almost docu-feel to it. Didn't you feel as if you were on a road trip with them? Excellent film.
I have to admit she was good, but the movie in general was unnecessarily long. The begining was gripping, I was waiting for some turnout till the end of the movie and didn't wait any.
Some scenes were shown vulgar. On the other hand, few threads were naive, like the one from Texas - one thousand bugs for whack job? Lack of implication.
Yes, I had a feeling like I was with them on a trip and I couldn't wait to get finally to our destination
Thanks for sharing Your view. I'm glad of our discussion. I was counting on exchanging opinions. I don't rmemeber, if You live in USA. What woudl You say about showing this country. I'm wondering, is it real. I've never been there.