14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I haven't seen the Gypsies film yet so I'm skipping reviews for now, and BTW, if anyone needs a reliable and clean source for Lone Star, just PM me, I got the hook up, buddy :P

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
there's been a number of films I have held in anticipation of seeing and this is one of them. Especially after seeing a couple of scenes while checking out the rendition on dailymotion. And now reading your post, Jeff and CR's review I quite curious to see what my experience will be with this movie.

So far I have links to 11/12 movies here. If someone could please hook me up with somewhere to watch Grand Illusion then that would be extremely helpful

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Barton Fink (1991)

The Coen brothers' Barton Fink is simply a fantastic experience. Set in 1940s Hollywood, the film follows New York playwright Barton Fink (John Turturro), who moves to Los Angeles to writes scripts for movies. He suffers from writer's block and at the same time forms a friendship with his neighbour Charlie Meadows (John Goodman). The supporting cast includes Barton's new boss Jack Lipnick (played by an Oscar-nominated Michael Lerner), film producer Ben Geisler (Tony Shalhoub), novelist WP Mayhew (John Mahoney), and Mayhew's secretary Audrey Taylor (Judy Davis).

Throughout the film the performances were fantastic, especially John Turturro as the title character, and John Goodman, in what I think is his best performance, as Barton's neighbour and friend. The cinematography of the film is especially fantastic, which is expected from Roger Deakins. The Coens' script is fantastic and the film is peppered with their signature black comedy. Overall this film is an extremely smart satire of Hollywood and one of the Coens' finest works, and I would possibly rank it as one of the best films of the 90s.

I went into this movie with the worst attitude possible. I'd seen this advertised when it first came out, and I immediately said to myself, 'no way am I watching Jennifer Lawrence in outer space!'

I'm not a fan of Jennifer Lawrence and the few movies I've previously seen her in, I didn't like. But when I watched the trailer and seen this was about two people stranded for life on a huge spaceship. I was intrigued. So I watched it, and to my surprise I was impressed with the themes that it explored.

I know a lot of people wanted to see an action packed, thrill-a-minute movie, not me...I don't like those. I like my movies more esoteric and reflective.

Passengers explores the loneliness of a human soul that's cut off from the rest of humanity. And that exploration isn't always pretty, in fact it gets ugly, and that to me is interesting.

Jim, the unlucky man who finds himself alone on a huge ship, reminded of Tom Hanks in Castaway. We see him do the things that I image I would do in that situation...He tries to get help and makes a call to Earth. Then he tries to break into the command center and even tries to go back into hibernation. All of his attempts felt logical to me. The 'what would I do if I was there' is an important part of the film.

We see his spirits lift as he breaks into a posh cabin and entertains himself by shooting hoops, shadow dancing, and drinking in the bar. And he drinks, and he drinks. Each time we see him, the time line has advanced and the toll of isolation begins to show on his face.

His beard has grown with food embedded in it, and he looks like Howard Hughes as he wonders around the ship naked. Then as he hits rock bottom and complainants suicide, he stumbles upon Aurora, which saves his life...but at what cost to her? And that's when the movie gets really interesting!

When Jim first walks into the bar, it reminded me of a similar scene from The Shining. I loved the way the bar looked too. It was quite peaceful, like a sanctuary with a friendly face, on an otherwise impersonal ship.

I loved the scene were he first mentions Aurora to the bartender who then replies, 'ahh, the sleeping girl'...that was brilliant writing! With that one sentence we know Jim has been fixating on her for a long time. I really like Michael Sheen as an actor, and as the android bartender he played a pivotal role in the story.

So much of the writing is brilliant...the way Aurora reacts to learning she was deliberately woke up by Jim, was impressive acting...and writing. I could really feel her outrage at having been violated, and having her life stolen from her. That and her complete anger and avoidance of Jim, gives even more weight to the moral dilemma of what Jim has done.

My favorite line in the entire movie comes from Gus (Laurence Fishburne) who doesn't have much screen time but makes a memorable impact. When Gus examines the pods and looks at Jim and ask 'if he did this?' And Jim answers, ' yes I woke Aurora up'...what follows gave me goose bumps...Gus looks at him and says, 'D a m n'...just the way he delivers that one word and the look on his face is pure sublime. That moment was an epiphany.

I respect the way the film doesn't shy away from Jim being like an obsessive stalker and yet, we can understand why he did it too. To me that's powerful stuff. No other film has made me ponder the morals of it's story like Passengers has.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passengers-002.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	34666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passengers.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	34667  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
yeah, once I found out what it really was about it made absolute sense WHY you chose it and as I watched it, it only confirmed that.
that WAS a good scene with Fishburne. Though it is hard a find scene with Fishburne, anywhere, that ISN'T good lol

For those of you who haven't seen Night on Earth yet, it is scheduled to air on TCM at 3:45 AM (Eastern Time) on Saturday, September 9th.

(That's this Friday night/Saturday morning, in about 2 days).

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS FOR THE CORRECT TIME IN YOUR AREA!!!
REMINDER

M (1931)
Director: Fritz Lang

I had some high hopes for M and though I really got inspired by the photography, just about everything else disturbed me. The story is of a child killer and the manhunt that ensues eventually handled by criminals. The premise isn't one I could get comfortable with no matter how stylish the film itself was. I tried to stick around for the humor but found myself nodding off and being woken up violently by a loud WHISTLE!!! Some of the film segments are completely silent and they last a stretch, so when the whistling happens, or the screeching siren type whistle anyway, it is very jolting if you're trying to sleep. I'm not trying to be a wise ass about it, it's just the subtitles were on full blast and there was so much exposition that I couldn't track the visuals. The dialog delivery was shrill by cutting voices all around and that made me very exhausted. Soon enough I turned down the volume and just stared at the screen appreciating the compositions. They were very striking. A lot of reflections and shadows, which I love, were on display and I loved the care put into the lighting with choice cucoloris.

I think I may have to try this film again possibly. I cannot guarantee it will grow on me as a film to watch as much as it seems more a film to study for aesthetic reasons only, at least to my personal taste.
I appreciate the nomination and can understand to a degree why this film was chosen. It's a striking visual film. As far as sound pioneering, well, it's not quite a feathery experience and that's all I'll say about that.

M (1931) : It's difficult to watch "M" and not see thousands of films standing on shoulders of this cinematic giant. From a technical standpoint this film is near perfection and definitely way ahead of its time. The exquisite camera movement, the masterful use of shadows&glass and delicate utilization of sound and silence are simply flawless. Peter Lorre, an actor best known for portraying goofy exotic villains in " Arsenic and Old Lace " and " Maltese Falcon " is arguably playing the role of his life as a psychopatic child killer. With a relatively limited screentime, he manages to provide such an unforgettable performance, primarily focusing on his amazing face expressions. His ghoulish stare and his big wide-open eyes are images that will surely stay with me. When I finished " M ", I was under impression that the film suffered from overly prolonged investigations scene and a lack of screentime for Peter Lorre. However I realized this was an extremely good decision, in order to make "M" as mysterious as possible and add enigma to his character. The final chase scenes were gripping and permeated with a heart-pounding suspense. And the grand finale where director challenges us to empathize with the antagonist in a fashion of " Clockwork Orange " and ultimately providing us with a moral dllema is just great filmaking. In the end rationality prevails, kangaroo court is dismissed and we're left with a haunting shot of a victim's mother telling us to " keep closer watch over our children ". Brilliant !

have never seen them. They worthwhile? I do see youtube has a several of them including the very first one; Think Fast Mr. Moto
I think you'd like them, they're not deep, but they have a flair. Think Fast Mr Moto was one of the best as it was the first, but the next few in the series are pretty good too.

PASSENGERS (2016)
Director: Morten Tyldum

I wanted to give a more fleshed out review of this movie because there were definitely elements of it I liked. But first I want to reiterate what I didn't like about it.

SPOILERS BELOW

I didn't care for the writing of the characters, especially when the broken up montage was being laced in on how the Jim Preston character is falling in love with the Aurora Lane character. Wanting coffee is the only memorable thing from those too brief moments, and I only remember it for being such a "blow off" method of generic writing. Dude..coffee? Serious? I didn't buy it, and I want more writing here. I felt as if the audience deserved more writing, better writing, more believable reasons for him falling for her. I could fill in the blanks and say "yeah well, he was lonely", but I'm not going to. That'd be dumb to do that as an excuse. For all of the potential this movie had, I was actually pissed off that this got treated so haphazardly. It's typical pop film making where the writer assumes the audience doesn't need anything deep because we gotta get on with the story. I guess I cannot help the way I feel but I felt it a big mistake. I want to see him read her journal and I want to hear her really reaching into her own condition and disarming us along with him. I wanted something substantial besides coffee.

I hated the ending song. I thought that was another "blow off" move by the film maker. Just throw up a random garbage tune to keep the masses happy. I'm sorry, it's personal taste for me, and that kind of music isn't music in my book. It's an insult, and if I were the average butt hurt individual that was offended by everything, that song would be the number one offense. Luckily I have an easy going disposition most of the time, just not this time.

I also didn't like their backstory. They didn't even have one. I looked and listened. Listening and looking...looking and listening. Nothing. Not a damn thing. Just some quick "blow off" blurb about something or other that was presented by a cheap gag in the form of a cell phone or tablet recording. Silly. Offended again. Oh, what to do?

What I did like was the ship, the effects, the mood, the premise, and some of the humor like.."Damn" (Fishburne). That was comedy gold. "Damnnnn". Haha! I got a real belly laugh out of that. Because it was one of the few real moments in the film as far as humanness went, at least humanness that I have been exposed to. "Damnnnn"..you woke her up? "Damnnnn"!

Still can't shake it.

I enjoyed the movie for the most part and did fall victim to my own hang ups and prejudices, I'll admit that. But I have to stand firm on what I really thought was lacking in the picture. Now that I've got that out of the way, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing this again some day, hopefully with a less vinegar reaction.

PASSENGERS (2016)
What I did like was the ship, the effects, the mood, the premise, and some of the humor like..
"Damn" (Fishburne). That was comedy gold. "Damnnnn". Haha! I got a real belly laugh out of that.
[/rating]
Wow, no wonder you didn't like it as, Laurence Fishburne's line of 'Damnnnn' was never meant to be funny. It was haunting. There's nothing funny about the scene. Fishburne delivers it with the pure shock of learning just what Jim did to Aurora.

Wow, no wonder you didn't like it as, Laurence Fishburne's line of 'Damnnnn' was never meant to be funny. It was haunting. There's nothing funny about the scene. Fishburne delivers it with the pure shock of learning just what Jim did to Aurora.
No, I know bro, I know lol! I was till laughing though, and maybe I shouldn't have....help me Jesus.

It was heavy and I laughed because it worked on two levels..the level you mention of it being very heavy...and another level of it being so heavy that it busted the dam, resulting in laughter. I'm going into obnoxious territory with my own reasoning, so let me just clench this by saying that I certainly agree with your reaction.