14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Has it been reveled yet who's movies are who's?

Also: I'm still having a headache trying to find these movies.

I got two of them, but the English subtitles which were there online, didn't get saved to the movie file to watch later.

Does anybody know how to fix that?

Early thoughts-

Mommy is my nomination and I'll be watching it again this coming weekend. I've seen it recently enough where I don't need to, but I'm curious to see if my wife likes it. It may be a divisive nomination, but I found it to be an emotionally powerful film.

I watched Black Snake Moan about a year ago thanks to Miss Vicky. I liked it but didn't love it, and I'll be watching it again.

I saw Lone Star about 20 years ago, but it's as if I've never seen it with what I remember. I only remember it as a good movie. My taste is much more geared to that kind of movie now. I definitely have to watch it again.

I saw Passengers very recently so I won't have to watch it again. My wife picked it out and I was shocked by how much I enjoyed it, especially considering I'm not a Sci-Fi fan. There's a brilliant hook to this movie, and I think it's an excellent nomination that will generate discussion, most notably the what would you do kind.

I was definitely going to watch M and La Grande Illusion for the eventual 30's countdown. I almost watched M once but had to shut it off because my wife didn't want to watch an old silent movie. My early thought is that M is the favorite in this tournament.

Barton Fink is probably the most notable Coen movie I've yet to see. It was already on my watchlist.

I've heard of Night on Earth. I'm interested to watch it since I hate the director's Dead Man.

I've had The Hurricane at the top of my Netflix queue for several weeks since I saw it pop up on Raul's favorite movie countdown. Every time I've been ready to get a new shipment, there has been a wait on it. It looks like my kind of movie.

I had never heard of Contratiempo, Time of the Gypsies, or Empire of Passion before.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I can reveal what everyone picked now I guess.

M- Cosmic Runaway
La Grand Illusion- Edarsenal
Mommy- Cricket
Passengers- Citizen Rules
Black Snake Moan- Miss Vicky
Contratiempo- Sarge
The Hurricane- Rauldc
Barton Fink- Yam12
Lonestar- Joel
Dom Za Vesanje- Jeff Costello
Empire of Passion- Jiraffe
Night on Earth- Nestorio

I almost watched M once but had to shut it off because my wife didn't want to watch an old silent movie.
M is indeed old, but it isn't silent. Would that difference make her want to watch it with you this time?

Hey HOF Mofo's, I picked up "Mommy" and "Barton Fink" today. It was the only one my library had available. I'll hunt the rest down later this weekend.

As far as "Lone Star" - there's a really crappy link on youtube which I would ADVISE AGAINST.

Let me track a reliable source down, even if I have to make it by doing a burn myself. It's too rich a film to waste watching on a bootleg source, as if it was shot with an iphone from a screen. Yuk!

There is. There are a few silent moments in the film, or ones that play with music but without other sounds, which are done for effect.
I might be able to get her to watch it then. This was like 5 years ago when I tried before.

If she does watch it with you, hopefully she can enjoy it. M is one of the first films to really experiment with how sound is used. Dialogue plays a part of that, but the use of sound effects and sound as part of the plot will probably make the film feel more modern than most other films of the time.

movies can be okay...
I want to join, but I really don't want to watch Passengers.
EDIT: Never mind, I just saw that the deadline has passed.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
and raul gets the ball rolling!! Since it has spoilers I'll have wait to read it.

My initial thoughts as well

M- Cosmic Runaway It's been decades since I saw this and scarcely remember anything so a rewatch is gonna be a lot fun and I agree with Cricket, this may be the favorite at the get go

La Grand Illusion- Edarsenal Have not seen this and looking VERY forward to seeing it, especially after seeing the trailer for it before nominating it.

Mommy- Cricket I am surprised a little bit that this was nominated by cricket and I did check out a trailer for this one and should be a really good watch.

Passengers- Citizen Rules I usually really enjoy CR's noms and I have been curious about this one

Black Snake Moan- Miss Vicky Own this and have watched it numerous times but it has been a year or two and time for a rewatch.

Contratiempo- Sarge another one I checked out the trailer for and got intrigued about and even more seeing Raul's high rating

The Hurricane- Rauldc Its Denzil, and Denzil delivers

Barton Fink- Yam12 Actually saw this about a month ago and accidentally fell asleep for the last third of the movie, so, rewatch.

Lonestar- Joel Remember seeing this when it first came out and do remember enjoying it.

Dom Za Vesanje- Jeff Costello Another one I checked out the trailer for and, also since Jeff nominated it, should be pretty d@mn good.

Empire of Passion- Jiraffe the trailer I saw didn't really show anything to get a handle, so it'll be a curious one to see.

Night on Earth- Nestorio I like Jarmusch and have been tempted to nom Only Lovers Remain and not sure if I would, but I haven't seen this one and looking forward to it.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Passengers (2016)

When I'd heard about this film being released the plot interested me, however,
I passed on it due to mediocre reviews. When this film was nominated for the Hall of Fame,
I was looking forward to it despite mixed reviews.

Despite the film having some good aspects to it, such as the cinematography,
which I thought was fantastic, as well as Chris Pratt's performance, I have to say that overall I didn't like the film.

This is largely due to the fact that the films wastes most of the potential it has to be a dark sci-fi thriller but discards that in favour of a standard romance plot. I probably would've preferred if the story was told from Jennifer Lawrence's point of view. I would've also preferred if the film opened with Lawrence's character being awakened instead of Pratt's because the film taking that angle might have turned this into a much better suspense sci-fi thriller.

Overall, Passengers was film that had the potential to do something interesting and definitely raise some moral issues with its plot, but abandons that to go with a much safer and more basic plot

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Passengers (2016)

....I have to say that overall I didn't like the film.

This is largely due to the fact that the films wastes most of the potential it has to be a dark sci-fi thriller but discards that in favour of a standard romance plot. ...
Standard romance plot? I don't think so. The whole idea of the film is it takes the view point of a lonely man, so obsessed with a woman that he's never met, that he's willing to do to her what he did... it's about obsession and violation. That's what's great about this film.

Contratiempo (2016)

The Invisible Guest (English title)

Spoilers
(most of my reviews don't have spoilers, but this one does)

I liked it. It's a smart film, that pulled me in right away and kept me interested for the most part. I went into this film completely blind and that's the way I think it's best watched. Why? It's first and foremost a crime mystery-thriller, and the enjoyment is trying to figure out who did it!

Right at the start of the film we get the murder of the girl in that photo, and that's too bad because she was really pretty. But don't worry as most of the story is told through flashbacks and we get to see her live again!

I liked the story premise of a retired jury lawyer expert grilling the murder suspect who's under house arrest for a murder and has only hours to tell his story before he's arrested. That gave the film a sense of urgency that was ramped up by the ticking stop watch....damn good idea! At the start it seems like a clear cut case, and that he's guilty as hell. Or is he?

That's the beauty of the film, it has lots of twisting and turning plot developments as the suspect tells and retells his strange story. At the 18 minute mark I thought I knew who did it and how the movie would end...or so I thought!....I was wrong, and this movie really challenges you to pay attention to the details and figure out the puzzle. For people who love a who-done-it murder mystery, you'll be in nirvana.

Oh, I loved the opening title credits too....Yeah-yeah I know who cares about the credits? I do! Both the way the letters appeared and disappeared on the screen and the score, really set the tone for the movie and put me in the right frame of mind.

The film was beautiful shot and edited and avoided some of the usual overly-fancy camera work that has become du jour in the last few years.

Kudos to the casting department. These actors fit their roles like a glove, they seemed like real people and not actors. Perhaps the best casting was the older man who's the father of the missing kid. If this was a typical Hollywood movie he would have been an arch type antagonist, but here he looks like a loving father...and that throws us off guard.

If there was one thing I would change about this film is that towards the ending they included so many twist and turns, and so fast, that I got lost in what was happening and so the ending didn't have the emotional impact for me that it should have.

In a way this reminded me of Rashomon (1950), in the way it shows the crime being commented with a different viewpoint which then is based on the story that's being told at the moment.

Great nom Sarge.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Contratiempo 2016.jpg
Views:	7207
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	33816  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
gonna have to move Contratiempo up to the front so I can read these reviews lol
I even had to stop at CR's first paragraph - taking his advice to go in blind.