The Greatest Film Ever Made (In My Opinion)

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
lol.
sarcasm noted.
Doesn't change anything but I can totally appreciate it!
No seriously, I liked your post (I also really had to post that gif. That scene is when I walked out of the cinema. Could not stop laughing)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
No seriously, I liked your post (I also really had to post that gif. That scene is when I walked out of the cinema. Could not stop laughing)

ROFL!
My bad. I misread the poster as Nameless. I though that was his post ribbing me. It made me laugh though!!!

Yeah, that gif pretty much sums up my take on Interstellar.

Nice post Paladin, as is always. I respect your opinion to a enormous degree. Here's mine someone else summed up for me:

Woe to the union! (Don't really do that.)

I absolutely loath films where love is depicted as this mystical, spiritual, metaphysical connection between 2 human beings whereas in reality it's an utterly solitary fixation. Love is series of chemical imbalances in your body caused by excess hormone production. There's nothing mystical about it, it's very physical. If I inject you with a giant dose of oxytocin, you will literally feel like you're in love with the thing right in front of you (it could be your wife or it could be your dog) and if I treat you with a session of electroshock therapy that sucks all the oxytocin out of your brain, you'll feel like you can never love again. To equate love between human beings to some special signal that connects spatially/temporally separated events is to give hormone changes in human beings a privileged role in determining the grand structure of the universe which is something I cannot take seriously. I'm all for artistic abstractions but there is a limit to how far you can take an idea before it becomes downright ridiculous. Interstellar crosses that line and then some. Maybe if Nolan had read a little more Freud, he would've made a decent film here.
I believe there's more to love than just physics. I reckon you're an atheist, or agnostic? Just wondering, I don't wanna cause trouble, since I'm Christian. I understand there's scientific approach, but I don't believe in it. Love, imo, is God.

ROFL!
My bad. I misread the poster as Nameless. I though that was his post ribbing me. It made me laugh though!!!

Yeah, that gif pretty much sums up my take on Interstellar.
I looked at my husband with a silently screaming look on my face and he started giggling. Set me right off, and people around me then started. Just had to get up and leave.

It was also the sound. Whispery voices followed by BOOM score which blew me off the seat every time. Such an irritating trend at the moment.

I believe there's more to love than just physics. I reckon you're an atheist, or agnostic? Just wondering, I don't wanna cause trouble, since I'm Christian. I understand there's scientific approach, but I don't believe in it. Love, imo, is God.
If you ask me am I an atheist? I would say Yes.
If you ask me, does the universe admit a complete physical description? I would be very hesitant to comment. I would say probably but I can't say for sure.
If you ask me assuming that there is an immaterial aspect of this world that doesn't admit a physical description, is it plausible to think that this immaterial feature plays some role in describing love? I would say no.

I'm not going to try to challenge yours or anyone else's religious beliefs on here because although I don't believe in any particular religion, I have enough respect for other people who are devout. I'm not the sort of person to go around mocking other people's beliefs for no reason. But I do like conversations. So in that spirit I want to ask you a question. Why do you not believe in the scientific approach? You go to doctors when you get sick, you drive cars to work, you use mobile phones to call people who're in a different place, you watch television and films for artistic inspiration. All of these things have been made possible because of the scientific approach. Science is the foundation for all of technology. So how can you not believe in it?

If you ask me am I an atheist? I would say Yes.
If you ask me, does the universe admit a complete physical description? I would be very hesitant to comment. I would say probably but I can't say for sure.
If you ask me assuming that there is an immaterial aspect of this world that doesn't admit a physical description, is it plausible to think that this immaterial feature plays some role in describing love? I would say no.

I'm not going to try to challenge yours or anyone else's religious beliefs on here because although I don't believe in any particular religion, I have enough respect for other people who are devout. I'm not the sort of person to go around mocking other people's beliefs for no reason. But I do like conversations. So in that spirit I want to ask you a question. Why do you not believe in the scientific approach? You go to doctors when you get sick, you drive cars to work, you use mobile phones to call people who're in a different place, you watch television and films for artistic inspiration. All of these things have been made possible because of the scientific approach. Science is the foundation for all of technology. So how can you not believe in it?
Nice to see that this looks like it's going to be a friendly talk.

Is it possible that everything, including the real world, isn't in fact "real"? What does real even mean? I mean, thoughts exist, and they're not real. I reckon you'd respond that thoughts and emotions are also physical. Neurons, I don't know much about that. If you ask me, it ultimately boils down to what you believe in (or not). What you believe, becomes real, or "real", if you ask me. Like, if someone punches you in the head, it will hurt only if you believe it will hurt. I'm just wondering, do you believe in anything?

Nice to see that this looks like it's going to be a friendly talk.

Is it possible that everything, including the real world, isn't in fact "real"? What does real even mean? I mean, thoughts exist, and they're not real. I reckon you'd respond that thoughts and emotions are also physical. Neurons, I don't know much about that. If you ask me, it ultimately boils down to what you believe in (or not). What you believe, becomes real, or "real", if you ask me. Like, if someone punches you in the head, it will hurt only if you believe it will hurt. I'm just wondering, do you believe in anything?

You sound like a student of Richard Bach's The Reluctant Messiah. Good book.

really liked interstellar, but the best film ever made, there must be over 100 films better imo

If by romance you mean some spiritualistic metaphysical connection between 2 human beings, its inaccurate to say that it's dead because it was never alive in the first place. If you want to live in your own bubble of self-delusion (perhaps you'd prefer to call it artistic escape?) go ahead. Some of us, who are more interested in the real world, cannot take ideas of this sort seriously anymore in the 21st century. The value of all great art ultimately comes from the fact that it reveals truths about the real world not that it runs away from them.
Wow. I don't remember ever reading such a misinformed paragraph. Do you believe in the soul, Nameless? Do you believe of what exists underneath all the judgments and labels manufactured by the programming of the human mind? I'm genuinely curious.

Perhaps it is because you've never experienced anything that you'd deem real but instead would consider it a chemical imbalance. Hey, there's a place for psychology and medicine. Of course there is. I'm just wondering how you can come off so robotic and dismissive of anything outside the realm of science.

Your comments on the 21st century gave me a good laugh.

Great art has no allegiance to reveal any kind of truth that matters to anyone, exclusively. That's absurd. Art can run all it wants to. Tell me, if you were chained up with cold rice being stuffed into your face while rats chewed at your feet for months on end, would you rather discuss science and reality or maybe take a vacation with some pretty colors and sounds?

You come off very convinced of yourself but I hope you see the other side, sometime.

Not to sound like I just came back from a snowy mountain retreat but when you were young, before you knew that a bird was called a "bird" and no name was attached to it, no knowledge of that bird or what it was an ancestor of or how it could fly, what did you think and how did you feel?

It's a dumb question but it points to actual human understanding rather than that of a book or popular gospel. Definitions, etc. Labels.

Science is awesome. But I think, as always, it has some catching up to do. It's been spending its entire career "catching up". I absolutely believe in Love and I don't care how "naive" or "silly" or "delusional" that sounds. I'm not upset because I've been triggered by the possibility that science is correct about love and now I'm awake and cranky about it. No, that's not the reason.

Here's an example. I once saw this coffee mug of a kid pushing on a door that clearly says "Pull". He was trying to get into the School for the Gifted. Smart kid but he couldn't see what was right in front of him. Spent his whole young life in books reading. Couldn't even read the sign 2 inches from his own nose.

I don't get mad if a kid with down syndrome and a learning disability can't drive a stick shift, but I do get upset when a spelling bee champ can't remember their own child's birthday.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Haven't heard of that one, but I saw the beautiful movie Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a great book, but the movie wasn't very good. However it has an amazing soundtrack by Neil Diamond.

Movie Forums Extra
Avengers

I feel I should say something poignant, but I'm too lazy to read all of those prior post

So, in a nutshell what's it all about?
You Rule as always.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a great book, but the movie wasn't very good. However it has an amazing soundtrack by Neil Diamond.
Haven't read the book actually, I adore the movie, and yes, it has a lot to do with the soundtrack. I adore Neil anyway. No wonder, he's Aquarius. Aquarians are in a league of their own imo - MM, Mark, Sean...

https://www.astrotheme.com/celebriti...aquarius/1.htm

Very musical, like John Williams or Mozart, them, Sagittarians, Gemini (guess why Derek hangs out on "what you're listening..." all the time) The only reps I get from him are there. And Libra (none other than the guy in my avatar).

Out of the female signs, only Taurus. you're Taurus, I think.

Those are the only musical signs.

At least that's what I've read.

Wow. I don't remember ever reading such a misinformed paragraph. Do you believe in the soul, Nameless? Do you believe of what exists underneath all the judgments and labels manufactured by the programming of the human mind? I'm genuinely curious.

Perhaps it is because you've never experienced anything that you'd deem real but instead would consider it a chemical imbalance. Hey, there's a place for psychology and medicine. Of course there is. I'm just wondering how you can come off so robotic and dismissive of anything outside the realm of science.

Your comments on the 21st century gave me a good laugh.

Great art has no allegiance to reveal any kind of truth that matters to anyone, exclusively. That's absurd. Art can run all it wants to. Tell me, if you were chained up with cold rice being stuffed into your face while rats chewed at your feet for months on end, would you rather discuss science and reality or maybe take a vacation with some pretty colors and sounds?

You come off very convinced of yourself but I hope you see the other side, sometime.
I'm not going to argue semantics with you about how one ought to define art but to respond to your previous enquiry about whether I believe in a soul or not, I have no clue what to say to that. I've yet to come across a proper definition of soul so I don't really know what that term even means. So until you tell me what it is you exactly mean by that word, I cannot answer the question of whether I believe in it or not. If you're referring to some spiritual immaterial aspect of all living beings, everything I know about this world tells me that there is no such thing.

And even if I do choose to believe in such a thing, I'm left with answering a series of very odd questions such as do dogs have souls too? How do I know that? What about plants? Yes? No? What happens to the soul when the person dies? Most of these questions are simply unanswerable so I'm not sure what it is I'm gaining by choosing to believing in it. I feel the same way about God. God is simply not a useful way to think about this world. One of the big questions in Science today is what triggered cosmic inflation (or the big bang) and when people say God, I often think to myself, have they even contributed to the discussion. God, like soul, is not a well-defined concept so it is hopeless to try to use this concept to answer a precise question.

Going back to the idea of love, before you get carried away perhaps you should've read my comment more carefully. Have I said anything to denigrate the feeling of "falling in love"? Love is a beautiful emotional state to be in and I know that. It is an important feature of all social species and without it most of them would've gone extinct by now. So the emotion of love is clearly both beautiful and important for our species. I do not deny that. I was simply denigrating this superstition that love is some sort of mystical connection between 2 human beings. There is nothing mystical about it, it does not deserve the privileged position that it gets in the context of all emotional states. What bothers me is when people blindly assert that it is something more than what it really is without any justification whatsoever.