Fast and Furious series

Tools    

Legend in my own mind
Can someone please explain why these movies are so popular? They're completely ridiculous and filled with stupid, unlikeable characters. I just don't get why anyone likes these freakin' crap movies.
The first was ok. I stopped at Tokyo as they were ridiculous then.

Haven't watched one since. The trailers have been enough to know that I would hate them.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
You could say Tokyo is where they started to...drift.
Oh BOOM!!! I'll pay that one.

Yeah I said earlier I didnt like that one but I've hd lots of fun with the others.

"2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968) and "Furious Seven" (2015) couldn't be more different types of movies. "Furious Seven" is so much better where as the former is so much boring.
There are different films for different purposes. "Fast and Furious" for the adrenaline crowd, "2001" for the contemplative. Saying FF is better than Space Odyssey is like saying Commando is better than Schindler's List.

Never cared for the series myself. Might not be my thing but fast cars, action and explosions are a very clear appeal. It helps Vin Diesel and The Rock help make this a far reaching series.

Though I have long preferred the Mad Max series, others and I assume a little younger viewers prefer Vin and company.

watched fast five out of hte blue ans was shocked on how good it was. Very well made movies for what they are, a lot of passion and budget = teams of artists went to creating it. It may not be your cup of tea, but objectivelys, it' great at what it does. It can only be compared to other huge budget over the top fun action charming movies eg transformers, mad max, Against the transformers franchise, it compares very well; mad max best action move since t2. It's more light hearted than bond, and higher budget than ocean's 11, take's itself less serious than avatar. What other car action/chase movies have been better lately (other than mad max)?

Welcome to the human race...
I sure hope the OP is actually getting something out of these answers.

I sure hope the OP is actually getting something out of these answers.
I actually forgot about my post till now. At the time I was annoyed because a group of friends constantly tell me these are better than Mad Max in every way. But I appreciate the responses (mostly) and yeah, everyone has different tastes. Sometimes just seems like everyone I know has the same taste.

It's sad that people flock in millions to see mindless B-movie style action, yet they turn away from the real art of movies that have something to say, be it for the fear of real world problems or the incapacity to understand such films.

The first movie of the franchise was the best in my opinion, like 7/10 when I was a young teen, since it built a world, the action was cool, but on the borderline of believable, while nowadays it's on the level of Sharknado.

Edit: Also OP should find smarter friends.

Well, if we're going to lump money grabs into the same category as art house films, obviously people are going to find ways to parse the term, because any definition that broad isn't a useful one.

Well, if we're going to lump money grabs into the same category as art house films, obviously people are going to find ways to parse the term, because any definition that broad isn't a useful one.
That's why I like "Knock Knock" (2015) message:- "there is no art".

My addition:- if there is art, it matters not if it's money grab project or idealistic passion project.

In other words:- I disagree with content being determined by intention of producers.

i'll defend the term real art. imo, the defining charastic is real art is not engineered to make as much money as possible, the artist has a chip on the shoulder they won't compromise one. It tends to be divisive and critical of the audience and/or society. Also less afraid to push boundaries or try new things. EG kubrick, ang lee, Coens, and wachowski, Tarantino.

Fast furious obvious focus tested and engineered to make money, it's a product. It's a great product though.
ludicrous recaps the fast franchise, which is hilarious and self-deprecating

guy behind the vehicles in fast furious franchise

LIke Tarantino, i denounce film snobbery. there is a place for both hamburgers and tuna tar tar. YOu may not like kung-fu b movies, but it's ignorant to say some of them are very well crafted teeming in creative originality that influences film making. Some products become art. Then Kill Bill is made and all doubt is removed.

The only valid criticism is to compare movies against their own genres.

Action lovers like the movie. Each star of the series has a huge fan following.