The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

*****. I've already lost out to one of these countdown threads at the Mofies in the Best Thread category. I'm determined that next year I shall gain my revenge. So I really don't like the fact that people are already enjoying it.

I think it's about time I start sabotaging this thread, drag it down into the gutter. I could do with some help though. How about it Sexy, you're always game for causing chaos and p!ssing people off!
I would love to help, but not really because it would be for your benefit, and as everyone apparently already knows, I only do things for ME ME ME ME ME!

Besides... I kinda like this thread, too. It's the best Countdown thread in awhile. As you know, in threads like the '90s Countdown, Millennium Countdown, '80s Countdown, maybe even the '70s Countdown, I posted THE MOST in each thread.

Wanna know how many times I posted in the '50s Countdown? 9 times. 9 times. That's nowhere near the most posts. This is my 13th post in this Countdown, so I'm already ahead of that one, and there's still much more Sci-Fi Countdown left to go. It's kind of a fun theme/genre -- sci-fi. And my #1 movie has already showed up. But I am kinda worried about what else will come, and what will be left off.

I think my #2 won't show up as well, and it's a shame. After all those laxatives I took.

HINT WITHOUT GIVING IT AWAY: It's a movie I reviewed.... uh.... recently.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
The highest on my list that I don't think has any chance is #7. There are then another 3 or 4 that I have my doubts about

Just to clarify: I think I like this thread because it feels more like the entire site should be - it's got a feel of community and interaction: different people actually discussing each other's thoughts on movies rather than the more hit-and-run style of posting. And the pace of the reveal, which seemed slow at first, makes it something to look forward to each day. Thanks Nope1172!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I would love to help, but not really because it would be for your benefit, and as everyone apparently already knows, I only do things for ME ME ME ME ME!

Besides... I kinda like this thread, too. It's the best Countdown thread in awhile. As you know, in threads like the '90s Countdown, Millennium Countdown, '80s Countdown, maybe even the '70s Countdown, I posted THE MOST in each thread.

Wanna know how many times I posted in the '50s Countdown? 9 times. 9 times. That's nowhere near the most posts. This is my 13th post in this Countdown, so I'm already ahead of that one, and there's still much more Sci-Fi Countdown left to go. It's kind of a fun theme/genre -- sci-fi. And my #1 movie has already showed up. But I am kinda worried about what else will come, and what will be left off.
Which is why the fifties thread ruled. 9 times!

Haven't seen Seconds at all, but am not adverse to it if it comes on TCM perhaps. I liked Donnie Darko a lot but have only seen it once and need to revisit it. So neither made my list.

Captain Steel, what will be next? I see Zardoz, which you brought up, is garnering some interest.

If The Green Slime doesn't make it, how about Hangar 18?

Haven't seen Seconds at all, but am not adverse to it if it comes on TCM perhaps. I liked Donnie Darko a lot but have only seen it once and need to revisit it. So neither made my list.

Captain Steel, what will be next? I see Zardoz, which you brought up, is garnering some interest.

If The Green Slime doesn't make it, how about Hanger 18?
I watched Zardoz again last year. I don't know, some movies just don't seem the way I remember them. Zardoz was some psychedelic clap trap! Interesting from a certain perspective (preferably a drug-induced one), but almost infuriating on the level of providing entertainment.

Another is The Man Who Fell to Earth - for some reason, on a recent re-watch, it didn't seem like the movie I remembered. (Wonder if that made anyone's list?)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Seconds for the 1960's Countdown, and it was okay, but not great. It's one of my least favorite Rock Hudson movies.

I watched Donnie Darko a while back when it was being talked about here, and I liked it enough to buy the DVD when I found it at a garage sale, but I never got around to rewatching it. But I finally watched the Director's Cut version for this countdown, and I still liked the movie, but not enough for it to make my list.

Seen: 14-1/2 out of 18
My list: 3 so far

16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

I watched Zardoz again last year. I don't know, some movies just don't seem the way I remember them. Zardoz was some psychedelic clap trap! Interesting from a certain perspective (preferably a drug-induced one), but almost infuriating on the level of providing entertainment.
Captain, I've only been able to watch just a bit of that movie, and it's been a while. I like bad movies that are nevertheless entertaining, so maybe I'll give it another try if I can ever find it on cable. What cracks me up is that Sean Connery supposedly turned down the part of Gandalf in LOTRs because he "didn't understand it," but apparently understood Zardoz?? Okay, Sean, whatever.

Hangar 18 that I mentioned is from 1980, and despite a good cast with Robert Vaughn and Darren McGavin in it, is not very good. It suffers from being very dull. But, I got a kick out counting how many times Robert Vaughn (as a villainous bigwig) would say things like, "Let's put a lid on Hangar 18," and "I want to put a cork in Hangar 18" or some such. You get the picture.

Unregistered User
Seconds

(1966, John Frankenheimer)

61 Points, 4 Lists

Glad Seconds made it. I would have liked for it to be higher but realistically I knew it wasn't going to happen. It was my number 2 pick.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	darko.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	28976  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra