Camo's Animated Show Reviews

Tools    

Ballot Box Bunny

This is another one i've not seen in ages. Really glad people avoided the obvious ones like What's Opera Doc?, i loved the Looney Tunes hall of fame but my one criticism would be that most of the noms (including my own) were the really overplayed ones so i'm happy that some slightly under the radar ones like this have turned up. Also glad that there's so much Yosemite Sam this time as i said earlier he's probably my favourite Bugs villain. I think Clampett and Frelengs work goes a bit underseen compared to Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng and this is a solid one. It's a very funny short there's only two jokes that don't work for me; the Bugs as a baby one and the exploding cigar one the latter has been done so many times and it there's nothing different about it here, you feel there's gonna be some subversion and the guy just punches him, it's a bit lifeless. The rest are solid; i really love the Teddy Roosevelt parody, the ants one; although i'm gonna be a bit of an armchair comedian here and say i think the joke would've been funnier if we didn't see Bugs putting the dynamite into the watermelon and instead we saw him looking annoyed at the ants then it cuts back to Sam scooping stuff into the bag and we see him scooping dynamite in which Bugs has placed offscreen, just my opinion though the joke worked fine as it was. Love the ending joke, it's probably my favourite part actually.

Good choice Nope. I usually prefer Big House Bunny to this so i'm looking forward to it to see if that's still the case.

I was hoping you'd like Bobby a little more in this episode, as his faux Cajun thing was hilarious to me.
Think i lost track of him more than anything else. He was funny but i forgot about the gags quickly for some reason. As i said that's the problem with doing episodes i don't know well.

The Cat Concerto

It's funny how much i hate Hanna-Barbera (the studio) when i think William Hanna and Joe Barbera were great and their run on Tom and Jerry for the most part was fantastic; it was never as good after them. It's such a shame that the studio named after them was responsible for the hideous, lazy, reused animation of the 70s and 80s. Anyway i picked this because i guessed (correctly) that Disney and especially Looney Tunes would get picked alot more and i think Tom and Jerry were a very important part of the golden age of american cartoons; i had two others in mind (The Little Orphan and The Truce Hurts) but i went with this since it is always one of the first that comes to mind when i think of Tom and Jerry. The best thing about this is easily the animation which in my opinion is absolutely fantastic; it's extremely impressive because it's not one with Tom chasing Jerry giving alot of room to work with it's all set in the one location but the actual movement is fantastic; just the animation on the keys or toms fingers; Jerry speeding about, etc. It's a joy to watch. I also really like how it (the music as well as the actual cartoon) starts off slow and as we go on it gets more and more manic. My favourite part is easily when Tom places Jerry inbetween two keys and starts playing really fast, with Jerry getting erratically tossed about, i honestly think the animation in this cartoon could go toe to toe with some of Avery, Clampett, Jones, etcs best stuff. Love the look of Tom at the end exhausted.

Anyway, i know this isn't the most obvious choice for something like this; it's not really joke-driven and it has a lot less slapstick for a Tom and Jerry cartoon but in my opinion the animation is outstanding and to me the more you see these cartoons the jokes get less funny but the animation always holds up so hope some of you enjoy it.

Hair-Raising Hare

Out of all the noms (not including tat's since i had never seen those) Transylvania 6-5000 was the one i hadn't seen in the longest and sadly it didn't hold up for me, but this one absolutely did great choice gbg . This is such a random thing to point out but i just want to say that everytime i've watched this cartoon i've found the idea that Bugs somehow knew he was being watched hilarious, he's presumably sleeping in that hole in his pyjamas (which is a great look haha) miles away from the evil scientists building and he just knows he's being watched for some reason haha (i get that it comes full-circle with the audience ending but i just find that idea hilarious). Also another thing, what on earth was Bugs packing he didn't bring any luggage? . I love all the faces Bugs makes during this both when he sees the bunny-bot and when Grossemar is behind him; it's really freaky, glitchy animation in the actual face changes which i love. There's another quick animation thing that's similar which i've always loved; Bugs opens the door then he swerves his legs outside the door while the rest of his body and head stays in the same position they were in when he opened the door, haha awesome. One thing i love about the start of the chase is that Grossemar is not as dumb as he looks; he's smarter than Sam and Elmer usually are, Bugs first few tricks like the lampshade and the don't go up there it's dark completely fail when against most of his usual villains those would have been round one to Bugs. Truthfully the nail salon was the only part where he lost because he was dumb the rest were because Bugs was too fast or too cunning to fall for his traps. My favourite part is probably the knight part, it's just such a where the hell did Bugs get that moment haha.

Anyway great choice gbg, it's a lot of fun. Just four left for me think i'll finish them over the weekend probably two tomorrow and two on Sunday.

Donald's Golf Game

Over the past six months or so i've been watching more Disney shorts; compared to Looney Tunes i've seen nothing so i'm really surprised that i've seen both of the Disney shorts nominated, well Der Fuerher isn't that surprising since it is pretty acclaimed but this is one of the lesser known ones. I think JJ summed this up perfectly: Donald'd nephews are buttholes haha. The best thing about Donald in my opinion is those brief moments from time to time when he becomes slightly audible; like his "this is too much" here. Man i loled so hard at that net gag, i didn't notice that's what his nephews had handed him til he took the shot, i kinda wanted to go back and see if you could but screw it great gag. Think it was my favourite moment. One thing i've found Disney often have over Warner Bros, MGM, etc, is the music in their shorts. Obviously not talking about music themed cartoons like What's Opera Doc? or Rabbit of Seville just their standard non Silly Symphonies cartoons like this, i think their music is often better. Loved the little whimsical kind of Wa-Wa noises when something went wrong for Donald and the mischievous music that was playing when his nephews were scheming, great stuff. Great ending from the underwater shot on, love the last boomerang gag; it's one of those ridiculous could only happen to Donald gags.

Great choice Clazor, really fun cartoon . I would've liked a bit more Disney nominated but i totally understand why it wasn't, i'd still say i'm a bigger fan of Looney Tunes at this

The Cobweb Hotel

Really glad that someone nominated a Fleischer Cartoon, and that it was a personal favourite that probably wasn't actually directed by the Fleischers but held up their ridiculously high standards anyway. Since FF sent me it i've been trying to figure out why it creeps me out so much and i did but i don't really want to post it here, all i'll say is the singing voice of the spider is very similar to a very disturbing pokemon song someone showed me once. Anyway, as i said to FF i really love how the male fly has fisticuffs from the start; he doesn't ever trust the Spider but he is super curious what the hotel is like anyway. Like gbg i'm also scared of spiders (only live ones though, i'm fine with them in movies or whatever) so i haven't exactly looked up how spiders catch flies in real life but i like the idea of this cartoon turning a spiderweb into a hotel and the spider into a cheerful host with the fly completely apprehensive yet intrigued from the start. Honestly i think i could probably track down a high quality version of this but the grimey, glitchy look with the brown backgrounds and horrendous (in a scary way not bad) voices make this cartoon work.

Great choice Funny Face . Think i'm going to try and find all of the Color Classics because this was pretty awesome and Fleischer's animation is the best of the golden age easily in my opinion.

Big House Bunny

Was looking forward to seeing this again, my memory of it is always that it's really hilarious and it held up. Mostly thanks to my boy Sam. 777174 or whatever it is is amazing, just the delivery by Sam is brilliant. One of my favourite things about this is just how extremely harsh it is on Sam; technically he's only doing his job by stopping Bugs from escaping and he gets really terrorized. Even though he's probably the most agressive of Bugs normal enemies he makes me feel bad for him more than any of the others, don't know why maybe it's because he is always super confident haha. So love Bugs first escape it's of course completely absurd as well as the goofy cartoon mechanics and just the visual of him floating away, i so love how it comes like four seconds after Sam declares that he'll serve fifty years. All of them are great though, they are all pretty much the same joke as well just with different results. There's just something about Bugs not being content with having switched roles with Sam but he goes and further tortures him with the escape gag, it's just so brilliantly uneccessary and cruel. The electric chair one in the office is pretty funny but my absolute favourite thing about that joke and one of the best in the episode is the pose that Sam takes on the chair sitting back all pampered with the cigar in his mouth (the picture i used) . The Bugs pigeon part at the end is a bit meh but i really love the idea of Sam locking Bugs out of prison because he just can't take him anymore, pretty much sums up their relationship haha.

Anyway yeah great choice Nope, i love Big House Bunny there's nothing standout about the animation but it is really funny.

King-Size Canary

Man this is so great. I haven't been watching Tex Avery as much as Freleng, Jones or Clampett recently i really should though. I love how quick and energetic it is; something was always happening every second, there was no breaks. I've noticed that is what Tex seemed to excel at very manic, action packed cartoons; filling out the full run-time basically. He has a very distinct style; i think i could pick out one of his cartoons over most of the classic cartoon directors which is a huge compliment. There's some really great animation mostly coming from the cats rapid movements. There's quite a few really good gags to, too many to name since it is jampacked. One i've always loved is the cat using the boxes to get into the window, he places the box in midair and it just suspends there until he has placed the other one ontop of it to get in, so so dumb and so great haha. The main idea here is pretty hilarious and fits Tex's style perfectly, escalation seems to be something he does well and that's obviously the main thing here with the tonic getting passed around and each animal becoming larger than the last. Love the final chase and somehow the anti-climatic ending really fits.

Great choice JJ, should end up high on my list. Just two left for me, think i might watch Story Corps shortly.

Little Rural Riding Hood

Like most nominated here i hadn't seen this in a while. It is very good i'd say King-Size Canary is the better Avery nom but i really like this too. The Country Red Riding Hood always creeped me out more than the wolf in this. I love how he made her a weird looking yokel when she is usually some precious, angelic young girl to fit the story haha. It's somehow much more unsettling that the wolf really wants to kiss and cuddle her rather than eat her haha. There's some really good gags and like alot of Avery cartoons it's very fast paced, i love the gag where red riding hood shuts the door and the wolf gets split in two from it then his body flops back together like two pieces of paper, the same thing happens shortly after when she runs right through him. Jesus that chase with all the doors is amazing, so fast. My favourite gag might be the one when he just appears at his cousins; he is super excited and is running around looking for Red Riding Hood and he very quickly runs outside the open veranda across air to the other building then back, man Tex Avery really hated gravity . The part at the club is the best too many great gags to name, i really love the one where his cousin tries to stifle his whistle and it goes through his body and out his mouth; so stupid haha. It's so weird watching a cartoon about a super horny wolf hahaha, that's basically what it is for 6 minutes. The end twist with the refined cousin going nuts for the country riding hood was great, i forgot all about that.

Great nom Ed.

That's everything. I left out Danny & Annie because it didn't fit obviously. If any of my Looney Tunes/Animated Short comrades () want to re-post their write-ups in this thread feel free i'll create your own section in my first post for navigating. If not here's links to both of my posts with everyones reviews included: Animated Shorts Looney Tunes

I still have to include the last few of Nope's and gbg's to the Animated Shorts one which i'll do soon.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Finished adding everything to the second post - http://www.movieforums.com/community...80#post1629480

There's now six categories and the Looney Tunes part is pretty insane, looking forward to the next Looney Tunes HOF haha.

I'm also looking forward to the next Looney Tunes HoF, but I thought it was nice having some other shorts in the mix, so maybe another Animated Shorts HoF would be fun too. (There was a little too much Yosemite Sam in the last Animated Shorts HoF, so maybe we can get a little bit more variety next time around.)

I'm also looking forward to the next Looney Tunes HoF, but I thought it was nice having some other shorts in the mix, so maybe another Animated Shorts HoF would be fun too. (There was a little too much Yosemite Sam in the last Animated Shorts HoF, so maybe we can get a little bit more variety next time around.)
One of you guys run the next one, you know i'll join. Think we should keep it that the ones that have already been picked are ineligible since there is so much choice.

I too was surprised at the amount of Sam in the last one; i'm not sure how you could curb that if it is a problem for you (i was fine with it personally), it would be up to the next host.

One of you guys run the next one, you know i'll join. Think we should keep it that the ones that have already been picked are ineligible since there is so much choice.

I too was surprised at the amount of Sam in the last one; i'm not sure how you could curb that if it is a problem for you (i was fine with it personally), it would be up to the next host.

I agree with you that past nominations should be ineligible in future HoFs, but about the amount of Yosemite Sam, I'm not saying that there should be any kind of rule against nominating too many of the same character. I'm just saying that it would be nice if we had more variety in the next one, so maybe if we post the nominations as they're chosen, people will know what's been nominated and try to choose shorts that are different from the ones that are already nominated.

I know that you posted them as they were nominated, because I changed one of the shorts I wanted to nominate because it was too similar to another one that was already nominated. Hopefully people will pay more attention to the nominations next time and maybe we can have a better variety of shorts.

I wasn't upset or annoyed at the amount of Yosemite Sam shorts in the last HoF. They were all good choices. I just think it would have been nice to maybe have some Wile Coyote and Roadrunner, Foghorn Leghorn, or even different Disney or other shorts, rather than an overkill of Yosemite Sam in one HoF.

I agree with you that past nominations should be ineligible in future HoFs, but about the amount of Yosemite Sam, I'm not saying that there should be any kind of rule against nominating too many of the same character. I'm just saying that it would be nice if we had more variety in the next one, so maybe if we post the nominations as they're chosen, people will know what's been nominated and try to choose shorts that are different from the ones that are already nominated.

I know that you posted them as they were nominated, because I changed one of the shorts I wanted to nominate because it was too similar to another one that was already nominated. Hopefully people will pay more attention to the nominations next time and maybe we can have a better variety of shorts.

I wasn't upset or annoyed at the amount of Yosemite Sam shorts in the last HoF. They were all good choices. I just think it would have been nice to maybe have some Wile Coyote and Roadrunner, Foghorn Leghorn, or even different Disney or other shorts, rather than an overkill of Yosemite Sam in one HoF.
That's all understandable. I think the biggest problem is too many people choose Looney Tunes? You and Nope both picked two Looney Tunes noms each, four Bugs ones i might add which is a bigger problem than Sam i think. Maybe only one Warner Bros per person would help with that? To me the only variety was from people not picking Looney Tunes, or picking at least one non Looney Tunes like i did.

That's all understandable. I think the biggest problem is too many people choose Looney Tunes? You and Nope both picked two Looney Tunes noms each, four Bugs ones i might add which is a bigger problem than Sam i think. Maybe only one Warner Bros per person would help with that? To me the only variety was from people not picking Looney Tunes, or picking at least one non Looney Tunes like i did.

For some reason, too many Bugs Bunny shorts didn't feel like overkill. Probably because the Bugs Bunny shorts all have a different "feel" to them, but the Yosemite Sam shorts are all basically the same, just in different settings. (He was a pirate, a politician, and a prison guard, but he still feels like the same character doing the same thing, over and over again.)

I thought about only picking one Looney Tunes short, but there are just so many of them that are favorites for me that it was tough enough narrowing it down to only two. It would have been near impossible to narrow it down to only one, but I guess I would have done it if that had been a rule. (And I wouldn't object to it being a rule in the next HoF.)

Big character appearances in the Animated Shorts HOF:

Der Fuehrers Face (Donald (1))
King-Size Canary (none)
The Cat Concerto (Tom & Jerry (1))
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (Daffy (1))
Steven Universe Season 4 Episode 6 "Last One Out of Beach City" (none)
"The Monk & The Monkey" (none)
A Tale of Two Kitties (Tweety (1)
Little Rural Riding Hood (none)
Transylvania 6-5000 (Bugs (1)
Hair-Raising Hare (Bugs (2)
Big House Bunny (Bugs (3), Sam (1)
Ballot Box Bunny (Bugs (4), Sam (2)
Captain Hareblower (Bugs (5), Sam (3)
Donald's Golf Game (Donald (2)
Cobweb Hotel (none)
StoryCorps - Danny & Annie (none)

Bugs - 5
Sam - 3
Donald - 2

If there's a problem it's Bugs in my opinion, especially when you include the Looney Tunes HOF which was mostly Bugs.

For some reason, too many Bugs Bunny shorts didn't feel like overkill. Probably because the Bugs Bunny shorts all have a different "feel" to them, but the Yosemite Sam shorts are all basically the same, just in different settings. (He was a pirate, a politician, and a prison guard, but he still feels like the same character doing the same thing, over and over again.)

I thought about only picking one Looney Tunes short, but there are just so many of them that are favorites for me that it was tough enough narrowing it down to only two. It would have been near impossible to narrow it down to only one, but I guess I would have done it if that had been a rule. (And I wouldn't object to it being a rule in the next HoF.)
Yeah, i agree with you on Sam shorts feeling similar. Two of the Sam shorts were Nope's; think he's a fan of him the same way we are Bugs fans or whatever. If the next one has a rule limiting the use of certain characters i'll still take part, i just hope it doesn't turn off other regulars like Nope or JJ.

Am i right that you just aren't a big fan of Sam cartoons? If that's the case i think you may have noticed it more because none of the Looney Tunes Hof ones featured Sam and suddenly he was in 3 here.