The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
did not know about the octopus being an alien --- I rather like that

and yes, this can easily be considered a sci-fi and WOULD have been on my sci-fi list as we've spoke of before.

GREAT review, Clazor

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
To be fair, that's just my own rambling theory. To my knowledge, there's nothing to support it in the actual film, other than the things I brought up. But thank you.

Withnail & I

SOME SPOILERS

You've got to work at a movie where a would-be rapist is the most likable character.

Seriously though, Withnail's a complete waste of a human being. He takes advantage of his friend, his parents, his uncle, anyone and everyone he comes across. At the same time he refuses work he deems beneath him and seems to expect that the world should just give him stuff. He's got the people skills of Sherlock Holmes, but without any of the abilities that makes him useful and thus gives you a reason to look beyond his flaws. In short, I spent 100 minutes out of a 107 minute movie waiting for someone to bash him over the head with something.

His friend, the titular "I" (named Marwood, though not in the movie), makes a better impression, but I can't for the life of me understand why he stays with Withnail for so long. They're friends, I get that, but they never give a reason for why he tolerates him. I guess he's loyal to an absurd length (or it could be that they can't afford to live in London if they split), but he finally draws the line at attempted rape. Which brings us to Richard Griffiths character, Monty. Withnail's uncle, an eccentric man with an interest in produce (and Withnail's friend). Dubbed "a rampant homosexual" by Marwood, he's the most likable character in the movie, and that's taking into account that he tries to molest Marwood after more or less getting permition from Withnail, whom he thinks is Marwood's lover. That Marwood seemingly just forgets about this the following day was something that jerked me straight out of the movie. I'd expected that long awaited beating at the very least. Instead it's a quiet grumble and Withnail complaning over not getting enough time to eat.

This wasn't my kind of movie, as you might've gathered, but it is by no means a badly made movie. It takes acting chops to portray a character as such an *******, so I freely give props to both Grant and McGann, as well as to Griffith, whom I really liked in this role. They all did a fine acting job, and I did enjoy parts of their banter, both when Withnail & Marwood were alone, as well as when the uncle was there.

Sorry Neiba, but this just wasn't for me.

Casablanca

This was a very good movie. I can't find anything to complain about. The actors did a good job, the setting was great and atmospheric. A great job from everyone involved.

I wonder though, if I'd never heard of this movie, would I've been surprised at the ending? Would I've believed that Rick was going to sell Lazlo out to the Germans and flee with Ilsa to the US? I wonder...I wonder if they didn't shot themselves in the foot by giving us such a thorough backstory on Rick? We learn that he fights for the underdog when he can, we see him help a couple get their exit visas by letting them win at the roulette wheel. Yes, they also show him turning in a man he knows (but doesn't like), but it's alomst the only thing he does where he actually does nothing and let nature take its course. Then again, they make no secret (I think) of what he actually plans to do, so maybe they didn't have the switch at the ends for us, the audience, but simply as a way to make possible the actual escape and fool the chief of police. Speaking of, that was quite the speedy realinement of loyalties for the chief, going from opportunistic pessimist to fighting for what's right in a matter of seconds. But then again, he never really liked the Germans, so maybe it wasn't such a hard decision.

A special notice also goes to Dooley Wilson for his portrayal of Sam and his singing voice, which I liked very much.

Don't got much more to say, this will make top 3 without a doubt, it probably will take first place. A great movie, glad to have seen it, finally.

Nice choice, Justin

Barbara (2012)

I haven't really liked a lot of the nominations in this Hof, but I had high hopes for this movie. When the noms were announced, I had not heard of Barbara...but it was the one film that I was most interested in watching. I thought I might like this, so I saved it until last. That way I would have something to look forward to.

Last night I watched this and...I really enjoyed the movie. I was engrossed in the story and captivate by the realistic view it gave me into this woman's life in communist East Germany 1980. The movie felt real to me, in fact it didn't seem like a movie at all, which is a good thing. It felt as if I was watching real people, in a real place and time going about their daily lives.

Barbara felt like a real person and not an actress playing a character, and that's high praise. I liked the actress too, she was excellent. The movie itself was shot subdued style, with naturalistic cinematography.

I liked the way all the elements of the film fit together to give us an emotionally subdued film, that gave a feeling of cold repression, where hope is bleak...but not all together forgotten.

Cosmic...you did it again, another nomination of yours that I love!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I'm having trouble with the link for Joe. I was going to watch that one now but I am completely blocked from the site. Is there any other possible link for the film that any of you know of?

If not, maybe I will just have to see if I can watch it at the library. I am not sure if it will work there, but I may have to give it a try (I first checked the links there and I think it worked, but now I am not 100% positive about that).

I will re-watch "U-Turn" instead today, though.

I just now looked for a link for you and got some weird blocked message myself. I think the link was infected with malware. This is a screenshot of what I seen. Did you see this?

Needless to say, I did not click on any of that, nor did I call that number as I'm sure it's fake. I believe it was malware. I just closed my browser.

I'm glad you ended up liking Barbara, CR! I had a feeling that you might, but I didn't want to say anything just in case it ended up being a disappointment haha.
Not disappointed at all! Barbara was my type of movie

That pics not coming up for me Citizen, possibly because of adblock? I've had that notification with pictures on this site before too.
I don't know if I went to the same site as Vamp, I just started looking for Joe and that's what I got at one place. I've seen warnings like that before and just close my browser and get away from it as fast as possible.

I just now looked for a link for you and got some weird blocked message myself. I think the link was infected with malware. This is a screenshot of what I seen. Did you see this?

The picture you've posted isn't showing up for me but it was a picture of malware warning. There were no other links or anything else. Just a big warning and I was just completely blocked from everything on there.

I can see that one now, but it wasn't like that. Mine was just a big Malwarebytes warning that wouldn't let me go any further.

My mistake, in my first post, I somehow didn't do the attachment correctly.

I'm sure that's malware in the pic I posted. And you know what my computer was acting wonky this morning. I'm going to clean it.

I can see that one now, but it wasn't like that. Mine was just a big Malwarebytes warning that wouldn't let me go any further.
Yah, this is what happens with me i use Malwarebytes too.

Thanks, So I'm guessing your Malwarebytes was protecting you from that site, which is a good thing