1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

WARNING: "SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING OF "Murderers Are Among Us"!!!" spoilers below
By "personal retribution", I assume you mean that Hans was supposed to kill Brückner instead of just having him arrested and tried for his crimes.
Unfortunately I don't know what the exact changes would've been, since I've only seen articles and books that reference the fact that the Soviets asked him to change it to...

WARNING: "Murderers Are Among Us Ending" spoilers below
...one that emphasizes the judicial system, and allowing guilt to be determined by a courtroom.

But I figured it meant the same thing you did. Nothing else in the film needed to be changed, because it wasn't until after this film was released that Eastern German films were required to adhere to strict ideological structures.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Arsenic and Old Lace is nothing like Delivery Man. You can't compare Vince Vaughn to Cary Grant.
I wasn't comparing them, I was explaining why I've given up on recent comedies. I haven't even seen Lace, so I'm incapable of doing a comparison if I wanted to. Besides, a movie soly showing a monkey jacking off, shot by the same monkey would shine in a favourable light if compared to delivery man.

I wasn't comparing them, I was explaining why I've given up on recent comedies. I haven't even seen Lace, so I'm incapable of doing a comparison if I wanted to. Besides, a movie soly showing a monkey jacking off, shot by the same monkey would shine in a favourable light if compared to delivery man.
I'm with you Clazor on most (but not all) newer comedies, there just bad! But the older classics like Arsenic and Old Lace are quite fun and charming. I guarantee it will at least bring a smile to your face

The Little Foxes

This is a great movie about greed and deception. Bette Davis shines as Regina, but Charles Dingle and Carl Benton Reid also give standout performances as her greedy and conniving brothers. I also liked Herbert Marshall as her husband Horace. Surprisingly, my least favorite performance in the movie was Teresa Wright as their daughter. She was almost too sweet, and a bit whiny at times when she was around her father. Dan Duryea was a bit wishy-washy too, and we know he can be great in these villainous roles. He almost seemed like he was an evil-doer in training in this movie.

The story is top notch, with great dialogue, but the weak point for me was the ending.
WARNING: "SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING!!!" spoilers below
It just felt like it ended too abruptly. We know that Regina ends up with the money, but it's implied that she is also left alone to live a life of loneliness, but the movie just ends with her staring out the window as her daughter runs off with her boyfriend. There should have been a follow-up scene to show us how unhappy she is, even though she got the money that she plotted to get. She got what she deserved, but we didn't get to see how it affected her life.

It has a few weaknesses, but overall this is a great movie, and a great nomination.
As per usual, I'm most skeptical of you liking my nomination, although it probably is a little safer when it comes to older films. Glad you enjoyed it

The Little Foxes
...Dan Duryea was a bit wishy-washy too, and we know he can be great in these villainous roles. He almost seemed like he was an evil-doer in training in this movie...
I've said this before, I'm a big fan of Dan Duryea. In The Little Foxes he's indeed a different type of character, that his latter noir roles. Here he's more spineless and whiny. But there's a moment when he leaves the room, pauses at the doorway, turns and delivers a line, that he becomes the more sinister Duryea Which makes me think everything else he said was by design.

I've said this before, I'm a big fan of Dan Duryea. In The Little Foxes he's indeed a different type of character, that his latter noir roles. Here he's more spineless and whiny. But there's a moment when he leaves the room, pauses at the doorway, turns and delivers a line, that he becomes the more sinister Duryea Which makes me think everything else he said was by design.
My favorite moment of the movie.

I think Leo (Dan Duryea) was playing the weak fool to gain an advantage, hence he's even more clever than we thought!
If this is serious I strongly disagree. He is the stereotypical spoiled stupid kid who will do anything to get his dad's approval. The whole scheme would have never occurred to him.

If this is serious I strongly disagree. He is the stereotypical spoiled stupid kid who will do anything to get his dad's approval. The whole scheme would have never occurred to him.
I think we might have crossed post. I was serious but I didn't remember he was suppose to be a kid. I just remembered he was one of the people in the room. Like I said it's been at least 5 years since I seen it, maybe even more like 8-10 years. My memory is not that great

Finished the Animation HOF so i can completely focus on this now. Only got five left and i have a million other 40s, 2016 and sci-fi films i want to get to but i should finish this in the next 2 weeks or so.

Either The Suspect or The Murderers Among Us next.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Shadow of a Doubt

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It held this - just below the surface; something murky stirs and awakes - that keeps a solid grip on you while everyone else went about simple, happy lives. I think that would be the best way to describe the ambience of this film. Something is wrong, very wrong. You see it in the cold stare of Charlie in the opening, laying in bed; plotting. It is a pin prick that begins to itch and fester and causing you to dread and worry as Charlie arrives at his sister's house and is welcomed and beloved by her family.

Hitchcock is excellent at applying tension and bringing it to a true climax. A confident maestro knowing when to hit the highs to their best effects and when to ease up without truly slowing down. There are no cinematic bumps or rough adjustments. It all gels very very well.

It's very easy to get caught up in the very intimate and dangerous relationship between uncle and niece that is portrayed in this movie. The two major pieces at the heart of the maelstrom that goes unnoticed by the rest of the family. Because it is so beautifully held within an eye of a needle held tightly by both of them. Even at the most volatile moments that are quickly shrouded over before others see what is really transpiring.
In another movie that would be the sole focus and the rest of the family would be nothing more than mere back curtains filled with shadow and bits of light.
But not here. They are complete and whole on their own. The youngest, the son, gets little time but it is used very well. The youngest daughter, Ann the bookworm has an intricate part in this well orchestrated movie. She is forever pulling on that delicate shroud without realizing it and the turmoil beneath it. Along with her, there is Hitchcock's humorous side: The father and the neighbor who are forever talking about murder and what's the best way to go about it. Finally, the mother who lives a very happy life. One that is even more happier with her brother now with them. A character that can easily be dull and two-dimensional and in here, she is not.

Hitchcock is a true master at bringing very dark subject matter into the light of day and Shadow of a Doubt highlights that skill brilliantly.

I'm with you Clazor on most (but not all) newer comedies, there just bad! But the older classics like Arsenic and Old Lace are quite fun and charming. I guarantee it will at least bring a smile to your face
I really hope you're right about that. Just out of curiousity, seeing as I haven't watched any new comedies for three (soon to be four) years, what comedies did you find entertaining?

I really hope you're right about that. Just out of curiousity, seeing as I haven't watched any new comedies for three (soon to be four) years, what comedies did you find entertaining?
Four Lions is my favourite from the 2010s. You're British right? Don't know if you'd like it or not but it is a very well done satire and is hilarious. That's if you've not seen it.

Think that's the only "pure comedy" as in heavily focused on laughs more than anything, that i've really loved. There's others that i really love (and love more than Four Lions) but i enjoy them for other reasons equally.

What comedy films are favourites of yours?

Don't know if these are categorized as comedy movies as such, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head as movies I laught at/with and really enjoyed:

Easy A
A fish called Wanda
10 things I hate about you
A knight's tale
The Birdcage
Zombieland
Paul
Hot Fuzz
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Liar liar
Love actually
High Fidelity
Dirty rotten scoundrels
Scott Pilgrim vs the world
Deadpool
Death at a funeral

Haven't seen any of the Gene Wilder stuff, otherwise I'm guessing that some of them would pop up here as well.

Note: That I like them is in no way a assurance of quality, so if you want to try anything I claim to like, be warned, I'm told I have a terrible taste in movies sometimes.

Yeah, i don't personally like most of the ones i've seen there that much so i don't think i'd be the best person to rec you comedies. We've just got different tastes i suppose, you should check out Four Lions if you get the chance and see what you think though.

Can i ask if the thing you liked most about Scott Pilgrim was the comedy? I mean did you really laugh at it? Don't know, i like the film but i don't think i laughed once, i liked the over the top fighting and absurdity of it but didn't laugh at it much if at all. Just curious because a friend of mine finds it hilarious too and i just don't see it.