1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Check out Compulsion if you want to know about the Rope "characters" and their trial.
I wish Compulsion had been nominated, well maybe for part 2 it will. Good film BTW, and it has Orson in it to boot

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Compulsion is a VERY good movie!! There was another made in '92 called Swoon. Anyone seen that one?

The Suspect (Robert Siodmak, 1944)

I'd never seen this 'Hitchcock' film before...It's a good one too, I really enjoyed it. I thought the way the film was put together (story & cinematography) perfectly matched the tone of the film, which is an up-close and personal story told from the view point of Charles Laughton.

I thought the film succeeded at creating empathy for Laughton's character...and for giving him one nasty wife to boot! And his wife has too be a cantankerous, battle axe for the story to work and for us to continue liking Laughton...And that's all done well.

A good murder mystery should keep you guessing as to who's done the crime and who's a red herring. And that was done well too. I wasn't sure what the final outcome would be until the last scenes, which kept my interest up throughout the movie.

If there was one thing I didn't care for, it was a 1 minute voice over montage scene where the Scotland Yard inspector tells us how he thinks the murder was done. I wish the actor would have delivered a conventional monologue, instead. But not a big deal just thought I would mention it to see how others felt about it.

Charles Laughton makes this film, he's excellent and so does the actresses that plays his wife. I also liked the drunken, snobbish next door lout, played by Henry Daniell. I've seen him in a number of movies but can never can remember his name.

I gather this isn't a well known movie as it only has 948 votes on IMDB, and so not many have seen this hidden gem. I'm glad it was nominated.

so VERY glad you enjoyed The Suspect! The wife and the neighbor were very well played by their perspective actor/actress. And of course, Laughton was his usual charming self.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Suspect (Robert Siodmak, 1944)

If there was one thing I didn't care for, it was a 1 minute voice over montage scene where the Scotland Yard inspector tells us how he thinks the murder was done. I wish the actor would have delivered a conventional monologue, instead. But not a big deal just thought I would mention it to see how others felt about it.

I didn't even notice that it was a voice over. I noticed that we didn't see the inspector's face, so I didn't see him talking, (or not talking), but I just thought it was the inspector explaining his theory to Laughton's character.

The Thief Of Baghdad:

Unfortunately this just wasn't my cup of tea. It's pure entertainment that failed to entertain me. I don't think this qualifies as a musical with only three songs, doesn't matter because none of the songs are memorable. The visuals are very dated which is to be expected but when it is one of the things the story is leaning on it hurts the viewing for me. This type of film makes a good case for CGI. The story is a classic but because of the presentation it didn't do anything for me. I hate sounding so harsh with a HOF film, especially nominated by my homie, I vowed to be honest about my feelings in these though. Seems like a pointless exercise if I just give the opinion people want to hear.

Watching Thief of Bagdad tonight. Looking forward to it.

Also i just want to mention that i was spelling it Baghdad like you are Sean at first, coz ya know that's how the city is spelled. But apparently its title is actually The Thief of Bagdad.

Watching Thief of Bagdad tonight. Looking forward to it.

Also i just want to mention that i was spelling it Baghdad like you are Sean at first, coz ya know that's how the city is spelled. But apparently its title is actually The Thief of Bagdad.
Noticed that last night when I logged it on Letterboxd, oops.

The Suspect

In the first couple minutes of this movie, I thought it looked a little shaky and wasn't going to be very well made. Thankfully, that went away, and I especially thought the nighttime outdoor scenes looked great. This movie moves very quickly and is enormously easy to watch at around 80 minutes long without the credits. That's a good thing, since I didn't think there was anything brilliant about it. I did think it was quite enjoyable, carried by the always watchable Charles Laughton. I'm not even sure how great an actor he is, but he always comes off as such a character, that I wonder if he brings a lot of his real life self to his roles. The supporting cast is good, but it's his show. I liked the story and it's ambiguity. I thought for sure the young woman was going to have something more to do with the plot, but I also liked how I really didn't know what was going to happen. Not a thrilling movie, but one I quite enjoyed.

That is a befitting description, Cricket: "Not a thrilling movie, but one I quite enjoyed."

I was also kinda expecting (or perhaps) hoping more involvement from the young lady as well. But, then, at only 80 min, I guess there wasn't all that much room for more without it getting a bit cluttered and messing with the pace. I assume.

Did anybody think that in The Suspect the actresses that played Charles Laughton's girlfriend and next door neighbor, should have swapped roles?
Yes, I thought he had much better chemistry with the neighbor than he did with the girlfriend.

One question about the neighbor. Was the woman neighbor the wife of the neighbor who tried to blackmail him? I thought about this after the movie was over, but if they were married, I didn't pick that up until the end of the movie. I just thought they were two separate neighbors.

Yes, I thought he had much better chemistry with the neighbor than he did with the girlfriend.

One question about the neighbor. Was the woman neighbor the wife of the neighbor who tried to blackmail him? I thought about this after the movie was over, but if they were married, I didn't pick that up until the end of the movie. I just thought they were two separate neighbors.
Better chemistry yes, and the age match was better too.

One question about the neighbor. Was the woman neighbor the wife of the neighbor who tried to blackmail him?
I took it that the woman neighbor was the wife of the blackmailer. But I've been known to get things wrong before.

Better chemistry yes, and the age match was better too.

I took it that the woman neighbor was the wife of the blackmailer. But I've been known to get things wrong before.

Yeah, I thought the girlfriend was too young for him too.

GBG, how many of the noms have you watched so far?

I watched The Suspect and Waterloo Bridge within the last couple of days.

I've already seen these:
Laura
Shadow Of A Doubt
Fantasia
Arsenic And Old Lace
Rope

Did anybody think that in The Suspect the actresses that played Charles Laughton's girlfriend and next door neighbor, should have swapped roles?
I thought it was on purpose that she was much younger. They didn't make a big deal about it but it seemed like when they met she wouldn't be interested but he grows on her with his charm. In other words I think them not being a perfect match is kind of baked into the story. I could definitely be projecting that onto the story though.

I was positive the neighbor women was his wife. I even feel there is a scene that outright says that but I could be wrong because I can't pinpoint it off the top.

I have watched Rope and The Little Foxes. Stay tuned for thoughts, may be tomorrow. Spoiler alert: Camo is wrong about the beginning of Rope.