1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Laura

Second watch. Rewatching Noirs is always interesting. I like doing it because they are normally plot heavy and I always feel like I get a better grasp on the film. They usually lose a bit in the character department though. On a first watch I found Waldo and Shelby to be such engaging and funny characters. This time around I still enjoyed them but they lost their snap of that first watch. Still a really good movie. The first 45 minutes is great, the second half brings it down just a tad. Didn't lose any footing on my 40's list but didn't climb the ladder either.

Shadow of a Doubt

My 18th Hitchcock. Got to admit i was really looking forward to Rope so i went into this a bit disappointed, thankfully it didn't hurt my viewing though. For the record i'll be referring to Joseph Cotten as Charlie and Teresa Wright as his niece, so annoying they had the same name haha. Even though this is among his most praised films i really didn't have the slightest clue what it was about.

Loved the story. There was something just brilliant about watching a nice, wholesome all american family harbouring a complete psychopath while being completely unaware. Even further than that they all adored him. Right from the first time Charlie spoke this film took a very sinister tone, more than is usual for Hitch even. It really was due to the fantastic performance from Joseph Cotten, during the moments with his family he seemed sincerely pleasant but he did such a great job of quickly turning sinister. One of the best things about the film was the mystery surrounding Charlie; it was obvious that he had done something wrong but exactly what that was was kept for so long, i mean even during the scene where the detective tells his niece that he might be a criminal that's all he says. The reveal was fantastic and made the rest of the film so suspenseful. His relationship with his niece was so creepy, and i mean from when he first meets her at the train station: she turns around to speak to the rest of the family and he gives her this unnerving glare. Their relationship was pretty genius actually; using the obsessive, curious niece as the source of tension through her snooping around was a great idea and it really paid off. Who knew him hiding a page of a paper could be so suspenseful. I'm actually not sure if i'd call Teresa Wrights performance great, there was something off about it but i thought her character was great so it didn't really matter.

This had some good humour too. Particularly from Emma who i really loved. Such a nice slightly naive woman. Loved the part where she is talking to the detectives who are pretending they are from a survey. At this point i really don't know what to say about the way Hitchs films looks. They never cease to amaze me and this was no different. Loved the camerawork here, right from the start with that scene where he is being followed that looked incredible i knew this would be great visually.

Anyway no point in rambling on. All else i'll say is that the ending is one of my favourites from Hitchcock, it's seriously morbid. Great film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
very cool write up Camo, have not seen this one and am looking forward to, more so after reading your review.
You mentioned about wanting to see rope more and i was going through that trying to see pursued and/or murderers among us on dailymotion and then i had given up and tried finding rope on youtube (where I had initially saw it before) and that copy was terrible and reluctantly went into How Green was my Valley; and like you with Shadow of a Doubt it hasn't hurt my viewing of HGWMYV

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Laura

A fantastic film with a load of suspense! What really engages me is the acting in this film. Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Vincent Price, and Clifton Webb were all phenomenal. I loved seeing their characters develop. Tierney in particular has become a favorite of mine after only seeing her in two films I will certainly seek out her other films.

The cinematography was outstanding as well. For Preminger, I enjoyed this more than Anatomy of a Murder which I believe is the only other film of his that I have seen. He sets such a great atmosphere for a classic noir. He makes his audience engaged through the dialogue of his characters.

I will honestly admit I was actually shocked when we saw Laura again. I thought for sure the movie was indeed revolved around her murder, so for me at least that surprise element was very well done. I feel like the movie picked up a lot of pace after that. The ending in particular was really well thought out in my opinion.

This has a chance to become one of my favorite 40s movies of all time. An excellent start to this Hall of Fame and an excellent nomination.

Ha! I started rewatching Laura just last night. 30 min left in it. Had no idea it was nominated for this.

Ha! I started rewatching Laura just last night. 30 min left in it. Had no idea it was nominated for this.
It's Destinys nom.

Watching Rope and Rope Unleashed tonight, got a copy i know that works thankfully. Maybe Pursued or The Thief of Bagdad after it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I knew you would like Laura Rauldc. Why you gotta bag on Anatomy though. What did Stewart ever do to you?
I like Anatomy. Just like Laura a lot better!

Laura IS quite the movie, raul. It's a guaranteed spot in my 40's List. Still need to see Anatomy at some point in the near future.

Need to finish How Green Was My Valley (little over half way through - rather enjoying that) and picked up Arsenic & Old Lace and Shadow of a Doubt from my library so will be watching them within the next week.

Rope

This was my 19th Hitchcock film. First thing i'd like to say is i personally think this would've benefited from an extra 15-20 minutes at the start, it just drops us right into the murder which could work but i don't think it did completely here. Even a few scenes of how they met and how the murder came up, or whatever it wouldn't have to be that just a bit more time to build a rapport between the characters before the murder, just my opinion don't know if anyone else will agree. That being said i thought this was very good.

I was fairly familiar with what it is about since i've read about the Leopold and Loeb case before. Both Farley Granger and John Dall did a good job of playing these young, unhinged privileged guys, and their characters were clearly alot different from each other. James Stewart was good as always, loved him as the suspicious one who these nutcases believe will approve of their actions. I'd say i preferred his other one-location film that i've seen Dial M For Murder, i preferred the story personally. Interesting to shoot it using a bunch of long takes edited to make it look like one long shot. Of course i've seen the same thing before so i'm not as impressed with it now but it is always interesting to watch. Very good film, i'd say i preferred Shadow of a Doubt but not greatly. Sorry i don't have more to say it's just after watching the documentary right after it i don't want to just repeat some of the stuff that was in that.

Rope Unleashed

Almost watched this last night because it was late and this was only 30 minutes long, glad i didn't since it kind of ruins a few things. Very interesting stuff. If you have access to it i recommend watching it after Rope. If you are going to i wouldn't read any further here because i basically say what it is about.

The people featured in the doc are: Arthur Laurents who wrote the screenplay, Farley Granger who played Phillip, Hume Cronyn who did the script treatment and Patricia Hitchcock his daughter. It heavily focuses on the homosexual subtext between the characters Brandon and Phillip; didn't mention it in my write-up since it was talked about so much here. I'm guessing most will pick up on it without seeing this anyway since their relationship is pretty uh... intense haha. It's mentioned that the film did alot better in Europe because attitudes were alot more relaxed to this but they still had to heavily mask it, i also found it interesting that this was originally a British play and there was great difficulty transferring the british dialogue to american as well as fitting in the british class system which is a strong part of the original play but America didn't have the same kind of social structure. Apparently, Cary Grant turned down James Stewarts role and Montgomery Clift turned down the role of either Brandon or Phillip because they didn't want to be associated with homosexuality. Keep in mind this is secondhand from Farley Granger who claims Hitch told him this. Farley actually sounded pretty critical of Stewarts performance, not really his performance actually more his character because he believed he didn't work with Brandon and Phillip the way he was supposed to. He also felt that some of the suspense didn't work of a few things.

Anyway no point in going on summarizing everything. A solid accompaniment to the film.

Fantasia

It's been so long since I've last seen this movie that I barely remembered any of it. I did remember that this was the only classic Disney movie I didn't care for. I'm glad it was nominated because I feel like I now at least have a better appreciation for it. The Sorcerer's Apprentice is definitely the highlight, and it brought back fond memories of the fireworks shows I saw at Disneyworld. I also liked the episode with the horse/human type creatures and the last one, which stunningly to me, featured a little bit of nudity. The dinosaur episode wasn't bad either, but the rest of them I found pretty uninteresting. Even with the better episodes, I think they would have all worked better as individual shorts shown before a more conventional Disney movie, than lumped all together as their own movie. I thought the animation ranged from good to great, but I'm sure at the time it was amazing. The music is high quality, even if it's not my type. My rating is a little high for my overall enjoyment, yet probably too low for it's artistry.

This is pretty much the reactions i was expecting for Fantasia. It has some remarkable sequences but it is a bit uneven so it's not easy to enjoy it as a whole.

great reviews! For Rope I get want you mean about being dropped right into the murder and I would assume that the murder case this was based on was now on a status of legend, having occurred just under 2 decades previously, and possibly they were going for the act itself and the comeuppance as opposed to deciphering the how's and why's of it. My guess anyway.

For Fantasia, haven't seen this movie since my late teens early twenties, so a solid thirty years and pretty curious to see how I felt about it now as opposed to then. Back then I got a kick out of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, totally floored by the demon sequence and was so-so about the rest. So, fingers crossed.

And looking forward to what you think of Suspect, CR.

How Green Was My Valley

A rather excellent film, indeed.
After seeing this I totally get why Daniel considered The Suspect as shot in a "standard" fashion. In regards to cinematic effect, they really do not compare. Ford takes full advantage of the tools of the camera with just the right balance to enhance without outshining the subject matter. The shots are compositions, one and all.
And he does have a rather epic subject matter, much like a similar breakdown of characters and scenarios he elaborated on in Grapes of Wrath; he draws the viewer into their lives, and you cannot help but care for them as they labor through the muck and mire.
And though we only get a condensed version of what transpired in the book, Ford delves deep and wrings out the heart of it.

A damn fine nom, Daniel. Thank you for nominating it.

great reviews! For Rope I get want you mean about being dropped right into the murder and I would assume that murder case this was based on was now on a status of legend just under 2 decades previously and possibly they were going for the act itself and the comeuppance as opposed to deciphering the how's and why's of it. My guess anyway.
Funnily enough in Rope Unleashed it is mentioned that in Europe nobody they spoke to had heard of the Leopold and Loeb case. And as i said i wasn't really bothered with the how's and why's myself, i just thought it would be better to see a bit of their relationship before they committed the murder to see what they were like before the murder was weighing on their minds. Fair point though.

Funnily enough in Rope Unleashed it is mentioned that in Europe nobody they spoke to had heard of the Leopold and Loeb case.
I didn't even think about that.
And still, seeing what occurred BEFORE the murder would have been rather interesting to see.