1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Hope you enjoy it Camo

A couple of fun connections I noticed when getting the films available to watch:

- Teresa Wright is also in The Little Foxes and Shadow of a Doubt.
- Raoul Walsh is the director of the 1924 silent The Thief of Bagdad which the 40s version is based on.

The Suspect
- Sorry, but I wasn't really the biggest fan of this. It was okay, I enjoyed Charles Laughton in it, but aside from him, I just don't think there was anything that great. I know Sean mentions Hitchcock but I thought the film was very standard in the way it was shot and put together, there is not one single part except for a minor scene near the beginning with the footsteps following him that felt creative cinematically and I didn't feel any suspense or excitement personally, what was happening felt inconsequential and without a feeling of any danger to me.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Not everything is for everyone, daniel. I do appreciate the fact that it was shot simply (standard) without cinematic creativity. It was. For me it simply reminded me of an old serial program and didn't detract from my own enjoyment.

Thanks so much for checking it out

BTW, anyone else having trouble with dailymotion? I created an account yesterday and not a single video will load up. I also get messages at the top to confirm my email. I click them for them to send an email and I get nothing in my email.

...BTW, anyone else having trouble with dailymotion?
I just tried to view the two videos of Murders Are Among Us (1946) at DailyMotion and both wouldn't work. They said "Oh no! An unexpected error has occurred."

I wonder if that means those movies have been pulled?

UPDATE: I used a different browser and it seems to work now.

BTW, anyone else having trouble with dailymotion? I created an account yesterday and not a single video will load up. I also get messages at the top to confirm my email. I click them for them to send an email and I get nothing in my email.
It will be your browser or your device. Dailymotion is a weird site.

Watching Rope and Rope Unleashed after i do the 11th HOF reveal. Maybe Pursued after that depending on what time it is.

Odd. I've watched videos on dailymotion before, and haven't ever created an account there.

I use Firefox, if that makes a difference.

Works for me on Chrome and i've never created an account either. The only thing is it takes a minute or two for the video to start up on Chrome recently for some reason, but it loads and works fine.

How Green Was My Valley (John Ford, 1941)

This reminded me of David Lynch's Dune (1984). Both films are based on well known novels that were multi-character, with multiple interwoven story lines.... very complex epic and long novels that were brought to the big screen. Like Lynch with Dune, John Ford choose to include many of the scenes from the book (as opposed to focus on select chapters of the book). And like Dune that gives the viewer a visual synopsis of the novel. Which unfortunately in a 2 hour movie doesn't allow time enough for the character's personalities and story subtleties to be delved into as much as if this was a simpler story.

I think John Ford did a fine job in including as much of the human element that he could, but when a 600 page novel of much complexities is condensed down to 2 hours of film, so much gets loss. How Green Was My Valley lacks the 'meat' that makes movie moments so special, some scenes felt rushed and incomplete. Ford did manage to bring to life Donald Crisp, I got a good sense of the kind of man he was and what motivated him. But many of the scenes seemed abbreviated and weren't allowed to fully develop. This needed to be 3 hours to fill out the story.

I have to agree with Sean, that this really reminded me of The Waltons (I liked the Waltons, BTW) The narrators voice, his warm sentimental way of talking and his rosy look back into his families past, really reminded me of Earl Hamner author and narrator of The Waltons.

I liked How Green Was My Valley, but it's viewing impact for me was middle of the road. My wife really liked though.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
thanks everyone! I use Chrome and it just refuses to load for me. At first I didn't have an account then made one thinking I was being blocked lol and then thought I was merely attempting during a heavy traffic time.
Will try again later and thanks again.

I'm in the middle of How Green was my Valley right now. I definitely see the very positive connection to the Waltons tv series.
It was also a very wonderful surprise to recognize a 10-12 yr old Roddy McDowell in this as well. VERY cool.

Finally going to watch Rope and Rope Unleashed in about 10 minutes.
I'm excited for your thoughts. Excellent movie. The undertones are brought up in that doc and I had already picked up on it. I am sure you will too. Enjoy.

Ugh. The copy of Rope was terrible: completely unwatchable. So deceptive as the first minute or two worked fine but i skipped ahead and it it's messed up all the way through Rope Unleashed works fine at least. Going to watch Shadow of a Doubt instead, i'll get to Rope at a later time.

Ugh. The copy of Rope was terrible: completely unwatchable. So deceptive as the first minute or two worked fine but i skipped ahead and it it's messed up all the way through Rope Unleashed works fine at least. Going to watch Shadow of a Doubt instead, i'll get to Rope at a later time.
I'm eating food right now and this made me want to vomit for some reason.