1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

I've really liked all of the Lubitsch films I've seen. Heaven Can Wait is a fine one. I'd say it's more of a Don Amache film, than a Gene Tierney film. Though she's good in it and very different role than in Laura.

For Ed or Camo or anyone interested:
If you want to see a heart breaking documentary, watch:

Gene Tierney: A Shattered Portrait

I've never forgotten that one.

Thanks for that doc, Citizen, looks great. Don't know if you seen it (or cared haha) The Shop Around The Corner was the first Lubitsch i watched a few days ago here - http://www.movieforums.com/community...67#post1606867

Reading about him i really want to see the films that him and Preminger (another directer in this HOF - Laura) worked on together, or even the one that Preminger finished for him. Dunno, a director taking over anothers work seems pretty off but Lubitsch and Preminger worked together and i'm guessing discussed their own intentions in making films; so that greatly interests me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've barely had a chance to read the list of nominated movies, and you guys have already watched a bunch of them.

I think a few of these movies were nominated in past HoFs.

I nominated Laura in the first Noir HoF. (It's a great movie. Hopefully it will do better in this HoF.) I think Shadow Of A Doubt was nominated in the 2nd Noir HoF, and I think Fantasia was nominated in the Animated Musicals HoF. (So that's three movies that I've already seen.)

I've also seen Rope, and of course my own nomination, Arsenic And Old Lace. So there are five movies in this HoF that I've already seen, but all of them are great movies.

I think I saw The Little Foxes many years ago, but it was so long ago that I remember very little about it. I've tried watching How Green Was My Valley a couple of times, but it never held my interest, so I turned it off after about 15-20 minutes. But that's not a comment on the movie. I just think I never gave it a fair chance. I've heard a lot of great things about it over the years, so I'm looking forward to finally watching it in its entirety.

The rest of the movies are all new to me, so this should be a great HoF. I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be able to get started on Monday.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
One last night, Fantasia this morning, The Suspect tonight. I am going to try and do one tomorrow night after work too. I want to jump start, very busy during the week right now and I don't want to fall behind.
You don't have to worry about falling behind. That's all I seem to do in these HOFs these days

The Suspect

This was fantastic. Never heard of it before but it may well end up being my favorite Hitchcock in this HOF. So well written, which always gets me on board right away. Laughton is brilliant. The storytelling is perfect. I won't say anymore till others have seen it. So happy this was nominated. Guranteed to be high on this list and my 40's list.
I didn't realize that was Hitchcock. I've definitely seen it then but I have no memory of it.

I didn't realize that was Hitchcock. I've definitely seen it then but I have no memory of it.
It's not Hitchcock haha. I'm guessing Sean is joking because it is alot like a Hitchcock film. Robert Siodmak is the director.

It's not Hitchcock haha. I'm guessing Sean is joking because it is alot like a Hitchcock film. Robert Siodmak is the director.
Oh ok, because I went through a period when I watched all of his films, but I don't remember all of them.

This. Apparently my wink emoji did not convey my meaning because Citizen thought I made a mistake as well. It is very Hitchcokian film.

... Don't know if you seen it (or cared haha) The Shop Around The Corner was the first Lubitsch i watched a few days ago here - http://www.movieforums.com/community...67#post1606867
I had seen your review of it, nicely written. We agree on just about the entire movie too. I loved The Shop Around the Corner, it was a nom in the 8th Hof and I voted it #1 even over my own film. Lubitshch films are usually golden. I reviewed it here:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...54#post1548454

I've barely had a chance to read the list of nominated movies, and you guys have already watched a bunch of them.

I think a few of these movies were nominated in past HoFs.

I nominated Laura in the first Noir HoF. (It's a great movie. Hopefully it will do better in this HoF.) I think Shadow Of A Doubt was nominated in the 2nd Noir HoF, and I think Fantasia was nominated in the Animated Musicals HoF...
Shadow of a Doubt was in the first Film Noir and was Friendly Mushroom's nom. I liked it quite well.

You don't have to worry about falling behind. That's all I seem to do in these HOFs these days
Be like Sean....start watching from the get go...In my first HoF I waited a long time to start watching the films, then towards the end I felt like I had this huge work load of movies to get through or I wouldn't make it. Which wasn't so fun for me. I also think that's the reason some people drop out, they leave the films tell the end thinking there's plenty of time, but then they get overwhelmed.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Trying to see them all along with locating all the movies had been my concern about ever joining on of these. I've been VERY lucky with this one since my library has all but there. YouTube has two of those, one's a terrible copy though so I'm pretty well covered - YAY.

Regarding Tierney Movies I had forgotten about Where the Sidewalk Ends. Excellent movie. I watched it after reading a review by Cricket.
I've read about her tragic life - VERY sad - but would love to see the doc, thanks.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Wasn't as lucky with my library, thief and arsenic seems to be the only ones they have and I can't even find a match for pursued when I look for it on my usual stores and online shops. Is it totally obscure or somthing?

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Both work, thanks Mark, Camo. Will watch the last of the animation HoF tomorrow, was too tired today, and then I'll get to these two. Til then, happy watching and good night.

Pursued
- Fantastic film. Raoul Walsh is a director I have been meaning to get to for a while, although this wasn't a film of his I had heard to much about. I often find that it's directors who worked within the Hollywood system, who were extremely prolific and often came from the silent era, knew how to shoot films the best. In terms of visual imagery and storytelling, this is great, the camera moves seamlessly yet when we cut to a close-up or key item the power generated is fantastic, Mitchum and Wright have faces that were made to be filmed. Then the shadows and landscapes are haunting, a good mix of Western and Noir in that way. I think some people will probably complain about certain plot elements and dialogue in some scenes, but they really aren't important here.