Silent Film Era Hall of Fame

Tools    

OK. So does that mean that I should link what you have written there to the list of "Wings" reviews?
Good question as I was kind of sprawling all over there with several post, but I never did write my review on Wings. But, I just now condensed what I had wrote into one review. So if you could link the post in the link below, that would be great.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...79#post1571979

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I just now condensed what I had wrote into one review. So if you could link the post in the link below, that would be great.
Done.

And I should fix what I said. I said this about Janet Gaynor before:
All 3 of her Oscars went to silent film performances: Sunrise, Street Angel and 7th Heaven.
I think what happened was that she actually won only ONE Oscar but it went to three films in the same year. I never really knew if she received one for each individual picture. They probably just gave her one and had the 3 films listed on it. Not that that is a particularly important bit of info, but I just wanted to change it to what I meant to say.

Thanks Vamp

I'm glad you mentioned about Janet Gaynor's Oscar for 3 performances, as it prompted me to try and find a picture and in the process I found a neat web article about the early Academy Award ceremonies.

The first Academy Awards 86 years ago, in a small room in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on May 16, 1929. It was a private dinner with awards announced in advance for the best and brightest of the years 1927 and 1928. Janet Gaynor won a Best Actress Oscar for 3 roles (Seventh Heaven, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, and Street Angel), while the Best Actor Oscar went to Emil Jannings for two (The Way of All Flesh and The Last Command). The entire ceremony lasted for 15 minutes, and it was not broadcast over any medium.
Who in the hell is Emil Jannings?

Early Oscars Link

He's Mephisto.

This is "Faust". You should give this film a watch some time.

Care for some gopher?
He's German. Great actor! I've only seen him in The Blue Angel, The Last Laugh and Tartuffe, though.

He's German. Great actor! I've only seen him in The Blue Angel, The Last Laugh and Tartuffe, though.
Oh! So I have seen him, I watched The Blue Angel awhile ago. I even reviewed it.

I've no excuse this time. Bc I said I won't join unless I'm 100% sure I can do it. I really thought i'll be fine, but i should've known bettr. Let's just say i had a seizure the day I disappeared (I won't say of what sort) and wasn't able to do this until now. I mean, why do you think I have this absences, like I'm a day on, and a month off? I'd really like to be here, but i'll be glad if I don't finish up in a hospital agian today.

I have to take a lesson fron this, and realize that i, unfortunately will never be fine.

I'm afraid I'll have to take a sort of a swear oath to not to join ever again.

I've no excuse this time. Bc I said I won't join unless I'm 100% sure I can do it. I really thought i'll be fine, but i should've known bettr. Let's just say i had a seizure the day I disappeared (I won't say of what sort) and wasn't able to do this until now. I mean, why do you think I have this absences, like I'm a day on, and a month off? I'd really like to be here, but i'll be glad if I don't finish up in a hospital agian today.

I have to take a lesson fron this, and realize that i, unfortunately will never be fine.

I'm afraid I'll have to take a sort of a swear oath to not to join ever again.
Oh damn, Beatle that's rough. Don't worry about this HoF if you need to focus on other things, your health is more important.

I have to take a lesson from this, and realize that i, unfortunately will never be fine.
Do whatever you need to stay or get healthy. Nobody was infuriated by your absence. Glad youre back, hope forever

Beatle it's OK...I consider you a friend and I enjoy talking to you, so it's all good Your health is way more important than watching some movies. You are very will liked by the MoFo community so please don't worry, we care about you!

OK. I had a talk with Beatle. He really wanted to finish this HoF, but he isn't certain it can happen. So, for that reason, he is dropping out. Therefore, his film (The Orphans of the Storm) will now be ineligible.

He still wants to participate in the film-watching and discussions, which he is more than welcome to do.

As for his film, despite the fact that it is ineligible now, if anyone still wants to watch the film, go right ahead. And if you watch it and want to write something about it here, then please do so. I plan on doing just that because I watched the movie.

Hope to start this Monday
I hope to get this finished by Monday! All I need to do is watch "The Crowd" (which I forgot isn't on DVD - I have to watch it online, obviously). And my computer was updating for the past 2 days! Two days!! I couldn't do anything because of it. WHY it took THAT long, I have no idea! Oh, the troubles with Windows 10 - they will never end.

I wanted to watch Wings last night but was a little too tired for its modest length. For HoF watches, I like to be at my very best. It'll still be the next one I watch for this.

So I said I was procrastinating with Diary of a Lost Girl due to it being on YouTube, but I found it at the DVD store and bought it. I Just finished watching it. I reckon I'll do a bigger write-up for my movie log thread, so I won't review it here just yet, but for now I'll briefly say I really loved it.

I should have no problem finishing this HoF, which is cool. I have once again been bitten by the cinema bug, I'm addicted to watching movies right now, and with three left and roughly a month to watch these nominations, it'll be easy as cake. I have Wings from Netflix, which I could get to, and I also ordered The Big Parade on blu-ray, which will be here in a few days. I'm a little weary of that one, only because I've never been great with war films for some reason, and that's a two and a half hour long one. All that means, though, is my expectations are lowered. Which is a good thing. I'm hoping it'll surprise me and I will love it!

Wings

This was a lot better than I thought it would be. The way it shows the love angle in the beginning is pretty standard, but it's effective in introducing us to the characters. They appear to be good people and that makes the viewer care for them. What this leads to is a strong and unlikely friendship that is a big key to the film's greatness. The battle scenes are spectacular, and fortunately, they are plentiful. The battle scenes and friendship both play a part in what turns out to be a very powerful ending that includes two of the most beautiful kisses you'll ever see on screen. If there was one part of the movie I didn't care for, it was when Jack was on leave. Not that there wasn't a place for it, but it just felt like a bit of a snag for me. There is some solid light humor that occasionally threatens to feel out of place. All in all, I thought this was a wonderful film that I think I would love even more with another viewing.

+