Omni's Random Video Noise

→ in
Tools    

I think you'd probably like it more than Young Adult. Gen-X Cops used to be a huge guilty pleasure of mine, but I haven't seen it in about 10 years, so it might be absolutely horrible for all I know haha.
You're saying I should have picked you for TONGO's game aren't you?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
feel the same about Haywire - couldn't finish it.

Six String Samurai's trailer looks tempting and you got me curious abut Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

You're saying I should have picked you for TONGO's game aren't you?
Based on Tugg's recent recommendations to Miss Vicky in the "Movie You're Watching Tonight" thread, I think Tugg was a good choice (or at least would have been for me haha).

I've actually never heard of Young Adult before, so I don't know if it was a good suggestion or not. I was just saying that you should also put Gen-X Cops on your list since it seems relevant to your interests.

Six String Samurai's trailer looks tempting and you got me curious abut Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Both are good, but don't neglect Dragon Tiger Gate!

Are you going to watch "Young Adult", anyway?
NEXT.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm almost afraid to try Dragon Tiger Gate; it could so easily be "Why the f@ck am I watching this?" in between the fight scenes, but every now and again one must gamble and this may well be one of those moments. So. . . .

On a separate self-amusing moment, I started at the beginning of this thread and had no idea I HAVE ALREADY BEGUN your thread way back when you first started it--- "Hello, Alice," "Hello, Hatter,"
I found my post saying I'd continue to read it and stopped, due to time restraints with the curious wonder "DID I continue???" --To Be Continued--

One thing I've noticed that in those early posts you had a more serious-minded approach so I'm looking forward to seeing you relax into your writing and your "free-flow rants" grow more and more prevalent.

And so that you know, "Rant"is regarded as a very good thing, if you don't already know by now.

I'll be back

or will I? , , , , hmm

One thing I've noticed that in those early posts you had a more serious-minded approach so I'm looking forward to seeing you relax into your writing and your "free-flow rants" grow more and more prevalent.
I've noticed that too. The problem with me is that as soon as I get comfortable with how I say something, I immediately notice the inconsistency and my OCD starts addling me.

I notice a lot of typos in my posts too which I do my best to try and ignore because I will spend an hour just editing and rereading the same post over and over again.

My favorite review is still "Taxi Driver" with "Titanic" being second favorite.
REALLY? Why is that?

REALLY? Why is that?
Because you nailed "Taxi Driver" i.e. you put into words what I only had in vague impression. And you were righteous on "Titanic". That's all I'm saying without directly referring reviews.

Young Adult
Drama / English / 2011

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
For TONGO's Movie Forums Challenge.

Originally Posted by Tugg
Have you seen "Young Adult" (2011)?
Originally Posted by Omnizoa
OH GOD, THE WRITER OF JUNO.
WHAT'D I THINK? *SPOILERS*
"Heyyy! Congrats on the little one! What a wonderful PERMANENT commitment to make!"

Dog, Ice Cream, KFC, Kissing, REREREREREREbound sex.

Alright, well, right off the bat let me just say that this movie is nowhere near as unpleasant as Juno and frankly, the poster is incredibly misleading. It looks like it's going to be millennial comedy drek, but it's not, it's a legit drama.

Now, if you know me, I'm pretty harsh when it comes to dramas because they're contingent upon realistic and engaging characters and a consistent compelling narrative.

How does it do here? Eeeeeggghhhh~ I don't get it.

The premise, which takes more than my standard 15 minute "SELL ME" window to properly establish the direction of the story is: Furiosa hasn't matured past high school and in the face of a struggling writing career she picks up on a message that approximately says, "BTDubs, your Ex had a baby" and decides to go back to the suburbs to take back her high school crush.

The BIGGEST **** up Young Adult manages to miss right off the bat is keeping Furiosa at arm's length throughout the movie, particularly at start. A detached sense of silent observation helps to establish that while we're following this character, we're not meant to be rooting for her, which is good because she's massively ****ed in the head which Patton Oswalt is helpfully around to point out in favor of the audience's sanity.

I've thrown around the term "Monogamy Syndrome" a few times in these reviews and let me just say that while it is deeply rooted problem I have with narratives involving marriage, it does not strictly apply here.

Monogamy Syndrome is when characters act irrationally for no other reason than because they can't accept someone being in a relationship with more than one person. It would apply here IF the driving conflict was purely with Buddy and his family, that they're closing ranks around themselves but that's not what this is. This is Furiosa being a selfish bitch.

She's completely deluded herself into believing that Buddy is unhappy and wants her back and in that spirit she urges him to leave his wife and new baby to go back to the city with her where she wastes away in a dark messy apartment writing horrible YA novels.

They probably weren't intended to sound horrible, but they're the very kind of self-obsessed **** I hate reading when I'm looking for new books with female protagonists. Oswalt makes a laser-guided "vampire" joke in this regard.

Really the whole movie is build up to the obvious letdown and I thought the movie was pretty boring, if admittedly well paced. A bright spot comes into view when the horrendously cringey and awkward dialog like "I used to sleep in his t-shirts and boxers" gives way to an upset at a "Baby Naming Ceremony" (which is total ********, no one does that) where Furiosa flips her **** at Buddy's wife and it comes clear that she had a miscarriage with Buddy's first baby and she was only invited out of pity and concern for her assumed mental illness.

Wow. That's... that's pretty sucky.

She finds her way back to Patton's character who's been established to be more level-headed if equally entrenched in the past and REBOUND SEX I HATE THAT.

I don't get this ****. What's this phenomenon where peoples' negative emotions get them REALLY HORNY??? I don't get this. What is this? Does this happen? Why would this happen? Why do you want to have CRY SEX?? You know what really turns me on is when my partner has just been EMOTIONALLY DESTROYED, that's hot ****, yo.

You think you've bagged the best with crazy sex, but you've never had SAD SEX. Murder her puppy and you'll make her drip like Niagara Falls.

LUBE IT UP WITH HER TEARS- It's ****in' stupid. So what, is... is she and Oswalt a thing now? That'd be kinda cute.

NO? Instead she has a breakfast table conversation with his sister who just feeds her ******* ego?

"Yeah, all these suburbian peoples aren't really livin' they all might as well DIE, **** all of them."

"You know what? That completely validates my point of view."

"I know, right? So take me with you?"

"No."
THE END.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	youngadult1.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	26782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Young-Adult-Pic-3-e1324274828115.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	26783  

Imagine my surprise after reading this review, practically feeling the hatred and disgust you hold for this movie and the final verdict is a
. Now that's a twist ending. You had me there, M. Night Omnizoalanananananannn

Unleashed
Action Drama / English / 2005

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
For the Action Movie Countdown.

Reassessment time.

Ice Cream, Milk, Sausage, Dog, Goldfish, and Grace.

I took a huge crack at Jet Li for his acting ability, but I take it back here. Unleashed, or perhaps better titled, Danny the Dog, is an mild departure from Jet Li's normal fair of martial arts-centric narratives to a straight up Hollywood drama.

Jet plays and emotionally and intellectually underdeveloped man who's been fiercely conditioned by Bob Hoskins to kill on behalf of his criminal organization. Along the way, Jet, or Danny, is distracted by a fascination for pianos and meets Blind Morgan Freeman playing Blind Morgan Freeman who's just as charming as Blind Morgan Freeman ought to be.

Eventually Danny's distractions lend themselves to conflict with Gangster Bob and Danny cuts himself loose after a car crash seemingly kills his "owner". He returns to Blind Morgan Freeman and his daughter in-law where we see him gradually soften up, begin to seriously socialize, and have the life he never had.

Naturally Gangster Bob returns to wreck ****, but not before the "damage is done" and Danny too independent to be ordered around.

People are obviously going to be inclined to call foul or "contrived" at the idea of a man being subservient to violence, but you gotta realize, this is fairly plausible conditioning. Take a kid, as young as can be taught, deprive him of traditional education and social interaction, then BEAT INTO HIM this one rule with extreme negative reinforcement.

It can work, and just as it can work it can fail, as it does here.

The story is emotionally charged, very well-paced, and truly my biggest gripe is just the vegan stuff which is well in the background most of the time.

The fights are really what could have sent this over the edge for me, nothing really stands far apart from the rest and the rest is pretty bog standard fair that only brushes with martial arts. This is much more a story movie, which perhaps confines it unhelpfully between two genres, neither of which it's particularly exceptional in.

As it is though, as a combination of the two, I think it's [Pretty Good]. A solid story with some solid actors playing solid characters with a touch of karmic justice in the end.

Good stuff.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]
Attachments

Name:	unleashed2.jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	26790   Click image for larger version

Name:	unleashed04.jpg
Views:	1665
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	26791  

NO? Instead she has a breakfast table conversation with his sister who just feeds her ******* ego?

"Yeah, all these suburbian peoples aren't really livin' they all might as well DIE, **** all of them."

"You know what? That completely validates my point of view."

"I know, right? So take me with you?"

"No."
THE END.
This conversation shows in contrast light to the rest of the movie, that even though Mavis is self-centered narcissist, with all the negatives of that, at least she has achieved something in her life as opposed to Matt's sister and many like her who might spend their lives in one small town raising a family at best or having bottom line job and staying single at possible. In other words,- the normal way isn't automatically better.

As for me, I like Mavis Gary as a character.

I took a huge crack at Jet Li for his acting ability, but I take it back here. Unleashed, or perhaps better titled, Danny the Dog, is an mild departure from Jet Li's normal fair of martial arts-centric narratives to a straight up Hollywood drama.
I completely agree. Unleashed is my favourite Jet Li movie, and it's definitely because it also tries to tell an emotional story instead of just throwing action scenes at us. And Jet Li does a really good job of it. When I first saw this movie it made me wonder why people don't put him in roles like that more often.

If you compare his performance in Unleashed to any of his other big action flicks, even one where he had more range than usual (...The One?), he seems like a completely different actor.

This conversation shows in contrast light to the rest of the movie, that even though Mavis is self-centered narcissist, with all the negatives of that, at least she has achieved something in her life as opposed to Matt's sister and many like her who might spend their lives in one small town raising a family at best or having bottom line job and staying single at possible. In other words,- the normal way isn't automatically better.

As for me, I like Mavis Gary as a character.
The only "achievement" here is a self-satisfaction that someone is so envious of her that they'll put down the same people she already puts down herself.

You say "the normal ways isn't automatically better" and in a sense that's true, but this isn't a sliding scale of objectivity, these people have preferences and their preference is for their hometown, where they grew up and where they're comfortable which I can empathize with. Mavis has callously stigmatized the place and it's inhabitants and latches on to the first person who agrees with her.

As far as we know she's the ONLY person who agrees with her because heresay also says that everyone pities her as well. Are there a mix of people who think she's living the high-life? Maybe, but so what? What does that mean? Does that mean her life really doesn't suck because people don't know it doesn't suck? Is image really that important?

I think no. I think she's a narcissist and while I do believe you can make likable narcissist characters this isn't one of them.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Omni, have you seen Story of Ricky? If so, thoughts?
I've seen many clips and I have NOOOOOOOOOO interest in seeing it.

I don't dig gore.

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
If you compare his performance in Unleashed to any of his other big action flicks, even one where he had more range than usual (...The One?), he seems like a completely different actor.
He's always so stoic.

Dragons Forever
Martial Arts Romantic Comedy / Chinese / 1988

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
For the Action Movie Countdown.

Considered one of the greats, let's check it out.

"You're an expert, but you're also a female too. The Court may object to a man asking another man if he loves him or not for that's abnormal."

Ummm, 'scuse me, you're honor, but Goldfish, Doves, Steak, Lobster, Fishing, Dairy, Horses, Marriage, Milk, relevance?

This time Chan's an attorney and I don't know! ...I don't know how he knows martial arts if he's an attorney, he's an attorney and he's inexplicably ripped and can pound goons by the dozen. I DON'T KNOW.

Most of the movie is dominated by Chan being recruited by the Big Bad to secure him a victory so he and Sammo Hung chat up the claimant and the prosecution so they can win. Cheesy 80s comedy romance develops. Yuen Biao hangs around to cause ****-tons of trouble.

Is Chan supposed to be a good guy here? Why did he agree to plant wiretaps on innocent people to begin with? What even provoked him to check out the defense who're pumping narcotic waste into this woman's $10,000,000,000 FISH POND???

That must be the most ******* amazing fish pond in existence and it's never shown onscreen ONCE. Great.

There are couple fights in the movie, but they're mostly forgettable. The boat fight, while still paling next to the boat fight in Gorgeous is decent, but the fight everyone seems to remember is the showdown with the Big Bad at the end with Benny the Jet.

It's a decent fight, although honestly I don't like Benny anywhere near as much as I like the Big Bad who's a weasily glasses-wearing business-type who attacks Jackie anytime his back is turned and as soon as Jackie turns on him he runs away puffing like a madman.

Sammo stabs him in the neck with drugs poison which naturally lets him overact to death.

Benny's weird, I think it's the eyeliner. I can't think of any reason for him to wear the eyeliner. He looks like a regular overweight cubicle worker... with eyeliner. It's weird.

This is the first of two big screen fights between Jackie Chan and Benny The Jet, the second being Wheels on Meals. Which I'm not looking forward to.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments

Name:	DragonsForever_screenshot.jpg
Views:	1268
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	26804   Click image for larger version

Name:	jackie_dragon_forever.png
Views:	1257
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	26805  

Welcome to the human race...
Saw you were watching martial arts movies, figured I'd mention it.

Also, no popcorn for The Grandmaster? That's brutal.