1 pesky sciuridae, 504 leaps, an unknown number of fillums

Tools    

Oh, so that's what this is, a film diary!

I always thought the thread title said a pesky sundae, like it was referring to a frustrating ice cream experience from McDonald's. and then all those numbers and all that (weird) text. No wonder no one knows what the hell this is before actually clicking it:

This thread must have come from the Twilight Zone. I haven't seen it until now, but apparently it's been around 3 days.
I thought this was a spambot when I read the thread title.
I had no idea when I clicked on this thread what I was going to enter. A film diary thread... well okay then. Quite an interesting name you came up with there...
You need a better name bruh. Nevertheless, it may have taken me half a year to finally click on this thread, BUT HERE I AM NOW. And I feel kind of sorry, Chyp, since you have been trustedly in and out of my thread(s) - replying and repping - and I have just been ignoring your solid work in here. Don't blame me too hard.

To make up for it I have now spent the last good long while reading and repping my way through each and every entry throughout these 14 pages. But I admit though... I skipped the last few entries I hadn't seen, but 80% of it I read through and through.

A lot of good movies and I really do enjoy short and direct writings like these. I might operate "in the other end" so to speak, when it comes to reviewing length but that doesn't mean I don't like this type of stuff too. I love GBG's thread for example and yours is a nice, fast and fun little diary to follow as well... I promise to look in from time to time now that I know what it actually is!

Good work, Chyp!

Thanks MM .... I made the thread solely for my benefit, hence the title ... made to enable me to keep a list of what I watch this year - as I've never ever done that before and was curious as to just how many films I might watch in an average year. I was never really fussed about readers - I don't write interesting enough stuff to bother with readership and all that.

If that sounds disrespectful to anyone that stops in or has stopped in at some point it's really not meant to be, it's on a public forum so naturally others are more than welcome to stop in and comment as they wish and I'm delighted if they feel something is worthy of them going to that effort Curiosity was always going to bring one or two to here occasionally so I thought if I wrote longer comments those poor souls would be dead from lack of breath before page 2 (with my hatred of full-stops) therefore just a few words on most entries would be beneficial to all and save me from the prospect of lethal injection

6th Jul:
186. Fear And Desire (Stanley Kubrick - 1953, stream)

Mixed wartime drama that shows flashes here and there and is watchable, even almost strangely hypnotic in a place or two, but the dialogue and acting are both extremely stilted, the editing and score awkward at times and for me it would have been better had the entire final six minutes been cut completely and the 'message' just worked in via closing voiceover if it was really desired.

7th Jul:
187. The Man With A Cloak (Fletcher Markle - 1951, stream)
+
Better than average period crime drama that contains the odd nice retort, some decent performances and is paced reasonably well but never really strives for, nor attains any heights.

188. An American In Paris (Vincente Minelli - 1951,stream)

Musical romance that is certainly colourful and vibrant with a mix of musical numbers that includes some that really are very good but is far too flighty in the first two-thirds for my taste ..... and when there finally is a little emotional heft added it's too short-lived before moving into a visually impressive but imo hugely over-extended fantasy dance number, followed by a twee and not at all unexpected ending. Oh and I'd take Nina Foch over Leslie Caron any day of the week

11th Jul:
189. Don't Bother To Knock (Roy Ward Baker - 1952, stream)

Dark drama that despite Monroe and Elisha Cook Jr both over-egging their acting at points is decent enough for the first 40 minutes or so but then sadly things begin to deteriorate somewhat as events spiral and Monroe is asked to provide a little more substance to her character (that isn't meant to sound as harsh on Marilyn as it probably does but a lot does rest on her shoulders and she only partially succeeds).

190. Bob Le Flambeur (Jean-Pierre Melville - 1956, dvd)

Crime drama that builds rather slowly to a crescendo, the first third being mainly scene setting, but for the most part it's well done, well scripted, well acted and entertaining - though good as it is it's no Rififi.

Unregistered User
11th Jul:
189. Don't Bother To Knock (Roy Ward Baker - 1952, stream)

Dark drama that despite Monroe and Elisha Cook Jr both over-egging their acting at points is decent enough for the first 40 minutes or so but then sadly things begin to deteriorate somewhat as events spiral and Monroe is asked to provide a little more substance to her character (that isn't meant to sound as harsh on Marilyn as it probably does but a lot does rest on her shoulders and she only partially succeeds).

190. Bob Le Flambeur (Jean-Pierre Melville - 1956, dvd) [rating[]xx[/rating]
What happened Bob?

WARNING: "What happened to Bob Le Flambeur? (actually serious spoilers so pls don't read if haven't watched)" spoilers below
He gets caught up gambling and forgets all about things and is arrested at the end - thought you'd seen it already

I always tee up the next one before I watch it and hit 'Submit' instead of 'Preview' but couldn't be arsed to then go and edit it out lol

Unregistered User
WARNING: "What happened to Bob Le Flambeur?" spoilers below
He gets caught up gambling and forgets all about things and is arrested at the end - thought you'd seen it already

I always tee up the next one before I watch it and hit 'Submit' instead of 'Preview' but couldn't be arsed to then go and edit it out lol
Ah ok. And yes, lucky I had seen it!

Ah ok. And yes, lucky I had seen it!
I remembered you had otherwise I'd not have done that

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
11th Jul:

Crime drama that builds rather slowly to a crescendo, the first third being mainly scene setting, but for the most part it's well done, well scripted, well acted and entertaining - though good as it is it's no Rififi.

If you're looking for a movie similar to Rififi, try The Asphalt Jungle (1950).

If you're looking for a movie similar to Rififi, try The Asphalt Jungle (1950).
Lol I'm not particularly was just a comment on Flambeur not being as good imo was all ... ^ and have seen it ('tis a good film) ^ - thanks gbg, always appreciate a reccomendation!

12th Jul:
191. La Strada (Federico Fellini - 1954, dvd)

Drama that slowly and inexorably works it's way under the skin as both the characters and story develop but though a film I do somewhat admire and enjoy (and a little more with each viewing) I still find Gelsomina more caricature than character at times.

192. Forbidden Planet (Fred M. Wilcox - 1956, dvd)

Splendid sci-fi that has (and will forever have) a very fond place in my heart and although it's flaws stop it from rating higher is one of my most favourite ever films of the genre - and even those that (wrongly) criticise either the marvellous sound effects or advanced (key word there) shutters mechanics surely couldn't deny it's place in history for introducing the iconic Robby.

13th Jul:
193. To Catch A Thief (Alfred Hitchcock - 1955, dvd)
+
Enjoyable enough romantic crime mystery/drama that as always is well crafted and has some nice atmosphere in places but is not top tier Hitch for me primarily as the interplay between the two leads involves far too much 'clever' dialogue that sounds unnatural in the early stages of their getting to know each other.

194. The Trouble With Harry (Alfred Hitchcock - 1955, dvd)

Rather dry and dark crime comedy that sees Hitch at his most playful - with the primary role essentially portraying a version of the great man himself whilst the whole thing quietly revels in it's absurdity and provide a fair few smiles. Understandably not to everyone's taste and does sit a little oddly in the director's later catalog but for me it's a very enjoyable offering.

14th Jul:
195. The Wrong Man (Alfred Hitchcock - 1956, dvd)

Decent mystery/crime drama that, being based on actual events, sees a much more restrained Hitch at work though there is still the occasional flourish (such as the pan back on the high-angle shot during the interrogation).

196. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock - 1958, dvd)
+
Mystery thriller that is chock full of intrigue in which the use of both score and visuals is excellent but despite being able to appreciate both the way it's made and the draw of the story as a whole it's not a favourite Hitch for me as quite simply I struggle to find the role of Jimmy Stewart's character in proceedings all that believable.

15th Jul:
197. The 400 Blows [Les quatre cents coups] (François Truffaut - 1959, stream)
+
Very well made kitchen-bed drama with some delightful long tracking shots at the end in which Jean-Pierre Léaud is superb as the young lead and the acting across the board very believable though I do have to say for me the score is a little at odds with events in places and given certain similarities I do feel I should relate more to the central character.

16th Jul:
198. The Lower Depths [Donzoko] (Akira Kurosawa - 1957, dvd)

Compelling drama based on a Gorky play of life at the very bottom that excels in it's limited location and is replete with excellent performances though the tale itself fails to fully satisfy imo.

16th Jul:
198. The Lower Depths [Donzoko] (Akira Kurosawa - 1957, dvd)

Compelling drama based on a Gorky play of life at the very bottom that excels in it's limited location and is replete with excellent performances though the tale itself fails to fully satisfy imo.
I'm planning on sneaking that in before the 50's deadline.

188. An American In Paris (Vincente Minelli - 1951,stream)

Musical romance that is certainly colourful and vibrant with a mix of musical numbers that includes some that really are very good but is far too flighty in the first two-thirds for my taste ..... and when there finally is a little emotional heft added it's too short-lived before moving into a visually impressive but imo hugely over-extended fantasy dance number, followed by a twee and not at all unexpected ending. Oh and I'd take Nina Foch over Leslie Caron any day of the week
Agree with a lot but enjoyed it a bit more I think. Love Gene Kelly.

Have you seen Le Cercle Rouge? I have a feeling you've posted a rating for it before and enjoyed it. If not, watch!

12th Jul:
191. La Strada (Federico Fellini - 1954, dvd)

Drama that slowly and inexorably works it's way under the skin as both the characters and story develop but though a film I do somewhat admire and enjoy (and a little more with each viewing) I still find Gelsomina more caricature than character at times.
Agree with all that, need to rewatch it myself.

13th Jul:
193. To Catch A Thief (Alfred Hitchcock - 1955, dvd)
+
Enjoyable enough romantic crime mystery/drama that as always is well crafted and has some nice atmosphere in places but is not top tier Hitch for me primarily as the interplay between the two leads involves far too much 'clever' dialogue that sounds unnatural in the early stages of their getting to know each other.

194. The Trouble With Harry (Alfred Hitchcock - 1955, dvd)

Rather dry and dark crime comedy that sees Hitch at his most playful - with the primary role essentially portraying a version of the great man himself whilst the whole thing quietly revels in it's absurdity and provide a fair few smiles. Understandably not to everyone's taste and does sit a little oddly in the director's later catalog but for me it's a very enjoyable offering.
Two great "lighter" Hitchcock films that I enjoy a lot.

14th Jul:
195. The Wrong Man (Alfred Hitchcock - 1956, dvd)

Decent mystery/crime drama that, being based on actual events, sees a much more restrained Hitch at work though there is still the occasional flourish (such as the pan back on the high-angle shot during the interrogation).

196. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock - 1958, dvd)
+
Mystery thriller that is chock full of intrigue in which the use of both score and visuals is excellent but despite being able to appreciate both the way it's made and the draw of the story as a whole it's not a favourite Hitch for me as quite simply I struggle to find the role of Jimmy Stewart's character in proceedings all that believable.
The Wrong Man is very good, Vertigo is one of my favourite films of all times. I think with older films and that some of the casting decisions can be slightly odd at first, but don't bother me any more. Thought it was very good at first, watched it again and thought it was a masterpiece.

15th Jul:
197. The 400 Blows [Les quatre cents coups] (François Truffaut - 1959, stream)
+
Very well made kitchen-bed drama with some delightful long tracking shots at the end in which Jean-Pierre Léaud is superb as the young lead and the acting across the board very believable though I do have to say for me the score is a little at odds with events in places and given certain similarities I do feel I should relate more to the central character.
Very enjoyable film that everyone seems to like around here, I'd probably give it four popcorns too.

Agree with a lot but enjoyed it a bit more I think. Love Gene Kelly.
Love both Kelly and Astaire which says a lot for both of them as musicals generally aren't my thing.

Have you seen Le Cercle Rouge? I have a feeling you've posted a rating for it before and enjoyed it. If not, watch!
I've not actually, I'll definitely get both that and Le Flic watched at some point but not until after the 50's countdown deadline at the earliest as I'm concentrating on that era in the main at the mo.

The Wrong Man is very good, Vertigo is one of my favourite films of all times. I think with older films and that some of the casting decisions can be slightly odd at first, but don't bother me any more. Thought it was very good at first, watched it again and thought it was a masterpiece.
I've always been a little out of step with Vertigo I'm afraid - widely regarded as a meisterwork I know and it's a film I can certainly appreciate for it's technical aspects and the level of intrigue it manages to generate even if I never can place it on that plane myself.

I'm planning on sneaking that in before the 50's deadline.
Go for it - definitely worth a watch imo.

I'm making sure I get the dvd rewatches in at the moment as I started to panic about the deadline creeping up on me but hope to still have time for a few more streamed experiences (both rewatches and new) before the end if I have time. Really should have got my butt into gear earlier like I intended but 'months' always seems like loads of time lol.