Favourite Ghibli Films

Tools    

Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't Castle of Caglistoro supposed to be on there?

That was before it became Ghibli. Castle In The Sky was the first Studio Ghibli film. You could easily count that or Nausicaa if you want but they aren't officially Studio Ghibli.

ah ok...Just saw Castle of Caglistoro a couple of days ago, great film.

That was before it became Ghibli. Castle In The Sky was the first Studio Ghibli film. You could easily count that or Nausicaa if you want but they aren't officially Studio Ghibli.
I count Nausicaa, but not Caglistoro. Studio Ghibli originally involved Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, and Toshio Suzuki, but Isao and Toshio weren't involved, so it was really just a solo project.

It's a Miyazaki movie, but it's no Ghibli movie.

I liked this movies so much:

Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle
My Neighbour Totoro
Porco Rosso
The Wind Rises
Kiki's Delivery Service
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

I wish Hayao Miyazaki would make many more such movies. But the reality can be so cruel sometimes

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Ocean Waves

Whispers of the Heart

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Naussica of the Valley of Wind
(I don't remember it very well, it's been many years)
Princess Mononoke
(I think it's a bit overrated, but still very good)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (Ghibli co-produced it. It feels nothing like a Ghibli film though. Also, I can barely remember it, but I did enjoy it.)
Arrietty

Only Yesterday

Spirited Away
(highly overrated imo, the most praiseworthy aspects are the artwork and animation)
Howl's Moving Castle
(I can't remember this one much either, but I enjoyed it)
My Neighbor Totoro
(I found this a little boring)
Grave of Fireflies
(This one I just found extremely boring, but it was very well drawn and animated)
Ponyo
(I hated this movie)

I find that a lot of their movies are not realistic in how they portray the human soul, especially in terms of the nature of evil. Also when they do a supernatural adventure they seem to devote themselves to making collages of bizzarre creatures doing bizzarre things. The actual adventure is practically a sight seeing tour through the spirit world. I also feel like in trying to reach a child audience they dumb down their content to the point of it being annoying. I think the reason Disney animated movies are so good is because their source material, the actual fairy tales, had strong plots, stories, and moral insights already written in them. That also explains why The Tale of Princess Kaguya had such a strong story as apposed to Princess Mononoke which had an original story that felt like it missed the moral mark in it's overall message.

I count Nausicaa, but not Caglistoro. Studio Ghibli originally involved Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, and Toshio Suzuki, but Isao and Toshio weren't involved, so it was really just a solo project.

It's a Miyazaki movie, but it's no Ghibli movie.
I'd agree with that. What did Suzuki have to do with Nausicaa though? I know Takahata produced it but i can't find anything about his involvement.

Dang Zotis, looks like we both agree on Ponyo. Now we just have to agree on The Chumscrubber and we can be besties.

Originally Posted by Camo
I'd agree with that. What did Suzuki have to do with Nausicaa though? I know Takahata produced it but i can't find anything about his involvement.
He's somewhere, I'm sure I've seen a feature on it (maybe link later). My main point is you should probably have more than one person to credit a "studio".

Seems like he had more involvement in getting the Nausicaa Manga made than the Anime, but he was still involved. The first Ghibli film he was credited as a producer on was Only Yesterday.

Originally Posted by Zotis
I find that a lot of their movies are not realistic in how they portray the human soul, especially in terms of the nature of evil.
This is a strange criticism considering next to none of the movies concern themselves with the topic at all.

And what of the nature of evil? Many of the protagonists aren't simply evil, but characters with their own goals and ideals like actual people.

The only "evil" I can even recall explicitly mentioned are the Giant Warriors in Nausicaa and they're specifically engineered to be mindless biological weapons.

This is a strange criticism considering next to none of the movies concern themselves with the topic at all.

And what of the nature of evil? Many of the protagonists aren't simply evil, but characters with their own goals and ideals like actual people.

The only "evil" I can even recall explicitly mentioned are the Giant Warriors in Nausicaa and they're specifically engineered to be mindless biological weapons.
If you redefine "evil" as anything morally wrong and not as necessarily extreme, then does what I'm saying make more sense?

The best example I can think of is the ending of Princess Mononoke with Lady Eboshi and Jiko-bō.

Originally Posted by Zotis
If you redefine "evil" as anything morally wrong and not as necessarily extreme, then does what I'm saying make more sense?

The best example I can think of is the ending of Princess Mononoke with Lady Eboshi and Jiko-bō.
I haven't seen that in years. Would you elaborate?

In the Beginning...
Of the Ghibli films I've seen, Spirited Away and From Up on Poppy Hill are the easy favorites, with Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, and The Cat Returns following behind.

I've also seen My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Ponyo, Arrietty, and The Wind Rises, and I enjoyed them all to some extent, but I didn't find them to be as stellar as the ones listed above.

I'm eager to see Castle in the Sky, Whisper of the Heart, and (although it's much maligned by critics) Tales from Earthsea.