Did anyone find Psycho predictable?

Tools    

One of my friend suggest me to watch Psycho (1960) since i am big fan of thriller movies and it was also exciting expecting some really unexpected twists but i actually predicted the movies twist long before.

Though the movie was predictable to me it was a good watch with some really good performances.

Did anyone else find the movie predictable?

One of the problems with being a classic film is that people copy you. So what was groundbreaking at the time has become rote and stale 50+ years later. And if you see an older film after you've seen a lot of films influenced by it, it's bound to look cliche.

A lot of filmmakers have "borrowed" from Psycho, and movies in general have made a game out of trying to fake audiences out, so a lot of moviegoers are looking for twists before they happen in a way they weren't before.

Put another way: I think it's perfectly understandable that it would be predictable, but I don't think that speaks badly of it. It was just one of the first films to do something that's become way more common (and harder to pull off) since.

Spoiler ahead.

I got a hint that the mother is not really there whenever there is a scene revolving around her we arent shown the character but only her voice. Which made me suspect of the male lead suffering from some illness and he actually doesnt live with her mother.

The real twist is Marion Crane being killed off halfway through, and if you really didn't know anything about the film and you claim to have predicted that ... then I'm a little skeptical. The mother thing, yeah, to a modern audience that's "predictable." But it hardly matters. It's okay for the audience to know more than the characters, and the audience knowing, or suspecting, that Norman is really the mother doing the killing then it just adds to the suspense.

I have to return some videotapes...
Yeah I'm going to echo Yoda's sentiments and I think another thing that makes Psycho a tad bit predictable is because you have probably heard of the twist before and you just don't realize it. Also it's a classic so you probably have at least heard some story elements.

The shift from it being a heist movie to a horror movie did surprise me. But after that, it was predictable. I'm sure, at it's time of release, it totally surprised many people. And it's a victim of its own success in that it invented these tropes we now know like "creepy motel owner" and "split personality killer". Figuring out the twist at the end is not hard if you've already watched movies like Fight Club and Memento.

But that being said. I was biting my nails, my heart was beating, I was breathing heavy in suspense the entire film. Despite knowing what the twists were going to be. That's just masterful directing.

I guess i need to watch this movie , psycho