The BFG

Tools    

Just seen the full trailer and I was surprised that the film is much more akin to a CGI animation than it is a live action film. The teaser didn't suggest that and I thought it was promising, aside from the Americanisation i.e. "boogeyman" rather than "bogeyman".

I think it's a shame it isn't more live action in terms of the BFG and the other giants, as it would have been nice to see Rylance actually playing the character himself. Also, the music and the visuals come over as generic and the overall impression I'm left with is of a missed opportunity. It doesn't feel like the story I read as a kid.

I have to return some videotapes...
I think the film looks terrible, but then again I have hated a lot of Spielberg's recent work, so I guess I can't really be trusted.

Just seen the full trailer and I was surprised that the film is much more akin to a CGI animation than it is a live action film. The teaser didn't suggest that and I thought it was promising, aside from the Americanisation i.e. "boogeyman" rather than "bogeyman".

I think it's a shame it isn't more live action in terms of the BFG and the other giants, as it would have been nice to see Rylance actually playing the character himself. Also, the music and the visuals come over as generic and the overall impression I'm left with is of a missed opportunity. It doesn't feel like the story I read as a kid.

Totally agree. I have just watched the trailer and had the same feelings about the CGI looking like more like a cartoon than a live action film, maybe it will be better once released. It looks like Spielberg has made a mistake here to mix both together when he should have picked either a full CGI film like Tin Tin or a full live action film with minimal CGI and used camera techniques like he did on Jurassic Park. Its the problem with most film makers today in that they think the CGI technology has advanced enough to enable them to create anything they want, take Jack the Giant Slayer as another example. When really they should use it sparingly to add to other tricks, look at Christopher Nolans work as an example of how to use lots of tricks to give real looking effects.

I hope I'm wrong and the film is as good as the book.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Although the CGI doesn't look the best, I think that it could be a stylistic choice, when you look at some of the shorter parts of the trailer, it looks really interesting. So I think it could be kind of like a family version of Sin City.

It looks like Spielberg has made a mistake here to mix both together when he should have picked either a full CGI film like Tin Tin or a full live action film with minimal CGI and used camera techniques like he did on Jurassic Park. Its the problem with most film makers today in that they think the CGI technology has advanced enough to enable them to create anything they want, take Jack the Giant Slayer as another example. When really they should use it sparingly to add to other tricks, look at Christopher Nolans work as an example of how to use lots of tricks to give real looking effects.
Precisely, yeah. It should have been either all live action or all animation (and that's been done anyway so what's the point).

I'd also have to mention Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for its overconfidence with CGI.