Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes...
I didn't like it, what do you want me to do, give it a higher rating just because you and hordes of other people did? 95% of what I watch is horror Cole, and I was simply not impressed with the film. But we can sit here all day and argue a simple difference of opinion, or we can both just go about our days knowing that our own opinions will not sway the other.
I think you took my response harsher than I intended, I was simply trying to persuade. Your opinion is valid bro .

Bernie
I DID NOT expect to like this one. Never, ever had any intention, desire or curiosity to see this and was VERY surprised by it. Good movie.
Bernie really surprised me too. It's probably the weakest out of the eight Linklater films i have seen but i still really enjoyed it. Jack Blacks best performance i know that isn't saying much he was actually good here though IMO, Maclaine was always pretty memorable.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I think you took my response harsher than I intended, I was simply trying to persuade. Your opinion is valid bro .
Believe it or not, that's just how I am haha, any perceived shortness on my account was not intended, I'm just a little tired of hearing about the film from friends as well as online and in magazines. So I'm at the point where it's kind of "enough already" I gave in and watched it, and confirmed my suspicions.

Welcome to the human race...
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure -

Even for a film that I knew was supposed to be light-hearted goofiness, it was a serious let-down and got no laughs out of me.

The Terminator
bahubali Bollwood movie, Nice 8/10

Unregistered User

Sansho The Bailiff (1954)

Feels odd to not give this a perfect score as I found it pretty flawless. A cert to feature high on the 50's list.

Kajaki 9/10

It's about a group of soldiers in Afghanistan who get trapped in a minefield. It really had me on edge, I found some bits hard to watch but couldn't take my eyes off it. When the film ended I was almost in tears, Brilliant film and it's a true story.

Frances Ha (2012) - Noah Baumbach

Not a huge fan of Noah Baumbach in general, even though I haven't seen a lot of his early work which is much more acclaimed, he just doesn't seem to jive with my style. This however is a major exception because I absolutely loved this film and its so enjoyable to see Gerwig travel through New York City with this oddly lovable character. The side characters she interacts with are all interesting and you can clearly tell they are common characters from Baumbach's wheelhouse of hipster stereotypes. A story like this has been done many times before, but they really at least I felt switch it up here and Gerwig's character is so interesting it's hard not to fall into the rabbit hole that is her life. The score is brilliant and although it's not very grand it fits the film so well and is used in a lot of scenes that got me emotionally. The choice of black and white is a very good touch, it seemed like everyone was at their best during the making of this movie because this is by far he has ever done. The writing at times is brilliant and at others a little too new wave for me, but then again it's just preference since I don't tend to like a lot of his work, so his writing falls flat for me in some places. It's just cool to see everything happening in her life and her relatable struggles as a person trying to find herself. The best way I can describe this film to others is it's a love letter to old Woody Allen films and it feels very much in that same vain.

++

Not a huge fan of Noah Baumbach in general, even though I haven't seen a lot of his early work which is much more acclaimed,
He hasn't made many films, what have you seen from him?

Stars Over Broadway (1935)

Nice, if a bit creaky tale of a promoter (Pat O'Brien) fallen on hard times who finds his meal ticket with a great singer (James Melton) whom he finds working as a bellboy in a hotel. There is also a young woman (Jean Muir) who keeps claiming she is a great singer that the promoter is attracted to. Melton is mainly an operatic singer, and O'Brien is paying him to take lessons from a great opera teacher (William Ricciardi), who trains him for about a year, then drops the bomb that it will take at least five more years to train Melton in the ways of the opera, like in acting, stage presence, etc. etc. O'Brien cannot wait that long or pay the money that it will take, so he promotes Melton as a crooner in all the big night clubs in the city, where he's an instant hit. Melton also gets a swelled head and thinks he can do anything and takes to drinking every day. This gets him in big trouble with practically everyone. The rest of the movie deals with those closest to Melton trying to straighten him out, and with O'Brien wanting to tell Muir, who is a great singer, that she's no good so she won't fall into the trap that Melton did. It's all very dramatic in a 30's manner and mostly a good film. A great supporting actor of the era, Frank McHugh, is on hand as O'Brien's buddy who works at a music publisher, and inserts a few laughs into the mostly downbeat goings-on. But it all ends well. Not a bad movie if you want to see something a bit different.

Unfriended (2014)

I had a little bit of difficulty getting into this film at first, simply because of all the typing and messaging that we see from the characters' point-of-view appearing on their computers. Some of the writing was so small, even on my large-screen TV that I had to get closer to the screen. That helped immensely. The movie was pretty decent, although easy to figure out and like a lot of these films of this type, I pretty much had the end figured out. But still, the acting from the young performers was good and helped make the goings-on more believable. It's worth at least one look.

Run All Night (2015)

I truly enjoyed this action flick. It stars one of our "new" action heroes, Liam Neeson. What I like about this is that Neeson is not really what you'd call a good guy in this. He has a horrible history of killing for the mob. He is estranged from his grown son (Joel Kinnaman), who hates him for leaving the family, although it was to keep them out of harm's way or getting caught up in any of the mob business. Anyway, the mob boss (Ed Harris) is best friends with Neeson, although Neeson is not the great mob soldier he once was. Or so they think. Harris' son (Boyd Holbrook) is out of control, trying to get his dad to deal with drug lords, something Harris has left behind. His son tries to kill Kinnaman but Neeson kills Holbrook first and that sets up the bulk of the film with Harris out for revenge by wanting Neeson's son dead. He sicks all of his mob soldiers on Neeson and son, plus the crooked cops on Harris' payroll, plus a vicious assassin (Common). Neeson and Kinnaman race through the city, with bad guys on their trail the whole way. There is action galore, with car chases, car crashes, gunfights, stabbings, foot chases, explosions, etc. etc. The whole cast is fine, with Bruce McGill and Vincent D'Onofrio lending fine support, plus a nice cameo by Nick Nolte as Neeson's brother. Probably my favorite of the recent glut of Neeson movies.

Bernie really surprised me too. It's probably the weakest out of the eight Linklater films i have seen but i still really enjoyed it. Jack Blacks best performance i know that isn't saying much he was actually good here though IMO, Maclaine was always pretty memorable.
This film surprised me as well. Not a huge Jack Black fan but he really sold me in his performance.

Jim: The James Foley Story (2016 - Documentary on HBO)

This one really broke me up. I was pretty much a mess by the end.

The first half is pretty standard documentary stuff: interviews with Jim's family, friends & colleagues as they reviewed his childhood, home life and career.
But then it gets into his captivity, which I knew nothing about... the length of time, the physical & mental torture Jim and the other captives endured at the hands of ISIS, his fellow prisoners who were so comforted, inspired & impacted by Jim's presence.

The recounting of Jim's captivity by those he was with, who survived, was absolutely spellbinding.

There are things I'd like to say that have absolutely nothing to do with any content of the film (like Obama smiling and waving as he went off to play golf shortly after receiving the news that Jim had been brutally murdered, and about the sick, terrorist, religiously-demented ideology of those who killed him), but for now I'll hold my tongue and simply say that the documentary was a sad but beautiful tribute to a truly purpose-driven life and an indomitable spirit.

If you have HBO: On-Demand, you can find it under their documentary section.

As far as interesting biographical documentaries go, I'll give this one a 4.5 out of 5.

He hasn't made many films, what have you seen from him?
I saw Mistress America, where I thought Gerwig begins to overcook every single line and her character begins to grow tired and I saw While We're Young which I didn't mind so much, but I ultimately found it to be kind of boring.