Killer stalks people in house. House alarm speaks when doors open.

Tools    

Hello,

I can't for the life of me remember this movie title. I recall watching it when I was younger and it scared me pretty bad. All I remember is there is a killer stalking people inside their house. The house has an alarm system that speaks whenever a door or window in the home is opened. So, the people in the house will hear "bedroom door open" followed by "hallway door open." They're able to tell where the intruder is moving but they do not see him until later in the movie when he tries to kill them. I seem to remember one of the victims trying to escape through a trap door in a closet as well. It was very suspenseful for a younger me. I think it was probably filmed in the early 90s but I could be wrong. Does anyone remember this movie? I would really appreciate the help! Thanks!

some alarm detection was in Cape Fear 1991

Could it possibly be "When a Stranger Calls"? It was originally released in 1979 and then a re-make was released in 2006.