GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Aargh! I need to try and remember to visit your thread some more. I know I keep saying that but I just keep forgetting and overlooking it when you do updates. Sorry GB.

I still very much like your short direct reviews. I knew you wouldn't be a fan of Dazed and Confused. But I did think you would have a higher grade for Some Like It Hot.

Good work!

As a fan of both Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis, and that type of movie, I expected to like Some Like It Hot more too, but for some reason, it just didn't do much for me. I liked it, but it just wasn't as great as I hoped.

Aargh! I need to try and remember to visit your thread some more. I know I keep saying that but I just keep forgetting and overlooking it when you do updates!
I like to do this for threads that interest me:
Click Tools (at top right side of page) > Subscribe to this Thread, then click Add Subscription....then when you click your own User CP link you will see if any threads that you subscribed to have new post.

Click Tools (at top right side of page) > Subscribe to this Thread, then click Add Subscription....then when you click your own User CP link you will see if any threads that you subscribed to have new post.

There are so many great hidden features to this site that someone should write a How-to guide for all the useful features.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Have you heard this version with Donald O'Connor and Doris Day?

I just love it. But then again I just love Donald O'Connor, anyway. This happens to be my favorite song from "Hans Christian Andersen". So, I loved this when I first heard it.

I loved Toby Jones as Truman Capote. He was Capote (far more so than Philip Seymour Hoffman - at least I thought so). That man deserved some sort of recognition for his performance in "Infamous".

Then I will probably just forget to regularly click on my User CP instead!

Haha, thanks CR, I will try that.

Have you heard this version with Donald O'Connor and Doris Day?

I just love it. But then again I just love Donald O'Connor, anyway. This happens to be my favorite song from "Hans Christian Andersen". So, I loved this when I first heard it.

That was great. I haven't heard that version before. Thanks.

I have this version with Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormé on my mp3 player:

I have this version with Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormé on my mp3 player:

Thanks for this one! I love Steve and Eydie (is there a better combination of two voices? ), but I have never heard this version before. I especially like that bit that starts at 1:30 through to the end.

Thanks for this one! I love Steve and Eydie (is there a better combination of two voices? ), but I have never heard this version before. I especially like that bit that starts at 1:30 through to the end.

I love Steve and Eydie too. My Mom went to high school with Steve Lawrence, and she introduced me to his music at a very young age.

I love Steve and Eydie too. My Mom went to high school with Steve Lawrence, and she introduced me to his music at a very young age.
Did your mom know him well enough? Or was it just a case of knowing him because they went to the same school? I am just wondering because I was curious to know how nice he is. He just looks like the sort of person who would be so nice in real life.

Did your mom know him well enough? Or was it just a case of knowing him because they went to the same school? I am just wondering because I was curious to know how nice he is. He just looks like the sort of person who would be so nice in real life.

We haven't talked about him in a long time, but she said that she knew him pretty well, but I don't know if they were just acquaintances or actually friends. She said he was very nice.

I usually like Jim Carrey's movies, but this movie is just silly and kind of stupid.
Which films of his do you usually like? Because unless he's in a 'serious' film, all his films are "just silly and kind of stupid" aren't they? I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but I think they're all silly and stupid. That's what he does.

The mask basically turns him into a cartoon.
Again, while this is true, apart from the actual transformations, that's what his physical comedy does, isn't it? His contortions and exaggerated facial movements are cartoon-like.

I never would've picked Dazed & Confused for you, so I'm kind of pleased to see that I was right to think you'd hate it. Shame you did, though, as I really liked that film.

Which films of his do you usually like? Because unless he's in a 'serious' film, all his films are "just silly and kind of stupid" aren't they? I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but I think they're all silly and stupid. That's what he does.
My favorite Jim Carrey (comedy) movies are Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty. I also like Mr. Popper's Penguins, but I wouldn't call it a "favorite" movie.

These movies are funny without being "silly and stupid". (Well, maybe they're a little bit "silly", but not in a completely "stupid" way.)

I never would've picked Dazed & Confused for you, so I'm kind of pleased to see that I was right to think you'd hate it. Shame you did, though, as I really liked that film.
I wasn't surprised about my reaction to Dazed & Confused either. Hubby has it on DVD, and he likes it, but we rarely agree about movies anyway, so that should have been my first clue.

Beyond the Sea (2004)

Is there anything that Kevin Spacey can't do? He's a great actor, a master of impressions, and in this movie, he even proves that he can sing and dance too. Spacey does a terrific job as Bobby Darin in this biography about the ups and downs of Bobby Darin's life, and his marriage to Sandra Dee.

I didn't care much for Kate Bosworth as Sandra Dee, but I was very impressed by William Ullrich as Little Bobby.

The movie includes some of Bobby Darin's best songs, including "Mack the Knife", "Lazy River", "Splish Splash", "Dream Lover", "As Long as I'm Singing", and of course, "Beyond the Sea".

+
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beyond the Sea-2004.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	22334  

Kiss Me Goodbye (1982)

This movie is one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. I've probably seen it over 100 times. I never get tired of watching this movie.

James Caan is charming and charismatic, Jeff Bridges is funny, and Sally Field is terrific as she tries to choose between her dead husband and her live fiancé.

Most people probably consider this just an average rom-com, but I think it's a wonderful movie that's very underrated, and I highly recommend it.

Attachments

Name:	Kiss Me Goodbye-1982.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	22335  

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - I watched this movie during a MoFo Commentary, but surprisingly, there was very little discussion about the movie.

What more can you ask for than Harrison Ford and Sean Connery in one of the most exciting action/adventure movies ever made?

This movie is one of the best action/adventure movies ever made. It's exciting, funny, and it will keep you on the edge of your seat. As a sequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark, it's a great ending to one of the best trilogies ever.

Attachments

Name:	Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade-1989.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	22336  

Life of Brian (1979)

I just don't get the appeal of Monty Python. I really wanted to like this, but I just didn't find it funny at all.

What I can't figure out is why A Fish Called Wanda is basically made by the same people, and it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. (In fact, it was my second choice as a nomination for the Comedy HoF if My Cousin Vinny had already been nominated by someone else.)

On a lighter note, the opening song was pretty good. It reminded me of a James Bond theme song.

Attachments

Name:	Life of Brian-1979.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	22337  

The Big Lebowski (1998)

This movie was better than I thought it would be, but I didn't find it very funny. It was just a decent movie with an interesting story and a great soundtrack. Plus, I like bowling, so that was a plus.

In addition, I usually like movies with Jeff Bridges and John Goodman, so it had that going for it too.

Attachments

Name:	The Big Lebowski-1998.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	22338  

Damn Yankees! (1958)

This movie is one of my favorite musicals. It combines my love of baseball, with my hatred of the New York Yankees. It's a wonderful fantasy about making a deal with the devil.

This movie is a unique musical because most of the stars aren't the type of singers who are such great singers that they have terrific voices and could sing anything. Most of these singers were just perfect for their roles in this movie, and that just adds to the charm of the movie. Ray Walston steals the movie as Mr. Applegate, but Gwen Verdon isn't far behind him as Lola.

My favorite songs include "Heart", "Shoeless Joe From Hannibal, Mo", "Whatever Lola Wants", "Two Lost Souls", and "Those Were The Good Old Days".

Attachments

Name:	Damn Yankees-1958.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	22340