GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My parents freaking love The Thomas Crown Affair. Both versions.

I know that most people don't usually like remakes, but I prefer the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair. I think Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo had much better chemistry, and the art heist was thought out better in the remake than the bank heist was in the original. (Although being able to fold a large painting into a small briefcase was a pretty dumb goof in the remake. )

Wow! That's a lot of Doris Day movies. I love her movies. Is there any special reason you're watching her movies right now?

I enjoy reading the large write-ups that you and some other members write, (usually after I've seen the movie). I wish I had that kind of writing talent, but sadly, that's an artform that I never mastered.
You do have that kind of writing talent! You just don't realize it. What you write is clear, precise, honest writing...without a bunch of hyperbolas and fancy-smancy writing tricks. I enjoy your reviews and short is good! But if you decide to write some longer reviews I know they would be good too.

Wow! That's a lot of Doris Day movies. I love her movies. Is there any special reason you're watching her movies right now?

No, there's no special reason, other than that I like Doris Day movies. Sometimes I just decide to binge watch a specific actor or director just because I watch one of their movies and it gets me in the mood for more of their movies. I think I read about one of her movies that I hadn't seen in one of Gideon58's threads, and it just got me started.

There were several films of hers that you watched that I haven't seen. One of these days I'm going to watch all 39 of her movies (Wiki list 39, I would have thought she made more).

There were several films of hers that you watched that I haven't seen. One of these days I'm going to watch all 39 of her movies (Wiki list 39, I would have thought she made more).

I haven't seen all of her movies yet, but I'm working on it.

BTW, IMDB lists only 38 movies on her page.

Let's keep that Doris Day idea I had, in mind for the future

I need to watch them all and then make a movie log like yours. I can't remember which movies I've seen. So many of the titles sound similar that they don't jog my memory.

Let's keep that Doris Day idea I had, in mind for the future

I need to watch them all and then make a movie log like yours. I can't remember which movies I've seen. So many of the titles sound similar that they don't jog my memory.

I usually read the plot on Wikipedia when I can't remember whether or not I've seen a movie. If I've seen it, it usually jogs my memory within the first few sentences.

No Way to Treat a Lady (1968)

This is a great "cat and mouse" crime drama. Rod Steiger is terrific as the serial killer who taunts the police. George Segal is also terrific as the taunted detective.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	No Way to Treat a Lady-1968.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	21703  

The Man from the Diners' Club (1963)

This is a cute comedy, but not a typical Danny Kaye movie. There are some laughs, but none of his fun singing comedy. It's not one of his better movies, but it's worth watching, just don't set your expectations too high.

Attachments

Name:	The Man from the Diners Club-1963.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	21704  

I wonder if he meant he couldn't stand Cameron personally? I've heard others say Cameron is a real SOB.

The Abyss 1989....you would like that one.

I don't know much about Cameron as a person. I only know some of his movies.

I think I have The Abyss on DVD, but I didn't know that it was one of his movies. I'll have to watch it when I get a chance.

I don't think he's a SOB necessarily. I've heard he's incredibly strict on the set. He won't take sh*t from anyone. He's there to work and get the job done. But it pays off. The guy is obviously smart and knows what he's doing. I'm quite a fan of him as a filmmaker for that reason, although I don't love all his films. I love their ambition.

The Madwoman of Chaillot (1969)

The first half of the movie is kind of slow, but it picks up in the second half and gets interesting. The movie is only okay, but it has an excellent cast, and it's worth seeing mostly for Danny Kaye's outstanding performance in the trial scene.

Attachments

Name:	The Madwoman of Chaillot-1969.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	21705  

I don't think he's a SOB necessarily. I've heard he's incredibly strict on the set. He won't take sh*t from anyone. He's there to work and get the job done. But it pays off. The guy is obviously smart and knows what he's doing. I'm quite a fan of him as a filmmaker for that reason, although I don't love all his films. I love their ambition.

There's nothing wrong with being strict if it gets the job done right, but sometimes it comes across too harsh and gets a bad reputation. It sounds like that may be what happened to Cameron.

Two for the Seesaw (1962)

This was a very good movie, but it's a bit dated, and kind of depressing. (Maybe because I thought it was going to be a romantic comedy, but it's actually more of a drama.) I didn't think that Robert Mitchum and Shirley MacLaine would have much chemistry together, but surprisingly, they were terrific together.

+
Attachments

Name:	Two for the Seesaw-1962.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	21706  

The Flim-Flam Man (1967)

This movie is a light comedy that reminded me a little bit of "The Dukes of Hazzard". It's a fun and entertaining movie about two con men, and it has a great ending.

George C. Scott seems like an odd choice for the lead because he's known more for dramatic roles, but he does a great job in this movie. It also features a great early performance by Michael Sarrazin.

Attachments

Name:	The Flim-Flam Man-1967.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	21722  

36 Hours (1964)

This movie is a terrific wartime thriller that is filled with twists and turns. The movie starts out as a clever con, and it later becomes a suspenseful thriller.

James Garner, Rod Taylor, and Eva Marie Saint all give top-notch performances, and the supporting cast is great too.

This movie is definitely worth seeing before turning in your 1960's Movies list.

+
Attachments

Name:	36 Hours-1964-dvd.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	21723  

The Incident (1967)

This movie is a disturbing drama about a couple of hoodlums who terrorize the passengers on a train. This is a great suspense thriller that draws you in and holds your attention from start to finish.

It's interesting to see the way the passengers on the train react to the hoodlums, and it kind of makes you wonder what you might do in that same situation. It also makes you wonder if Bernhard Goetz saw this movie when he was younger.

Terrific acting by the entire cast, especially Tony Musante, Martin Sheen, (in his first film role), and Beau Bridges. Also look for some very recognizable actors early in their careers.

Attachments

Name:	The Incident-1967.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	21724