Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Onibaba (1964) - Kaneto Shindo

I had heard and read praises about this one before but didn't expect it to be this good...in fact, a great film. An amazing cinematic experience, mind blowing...this one will definitely feature in my 60s list...

9.5 out of 10

Lord High Filmquisitor

Friday the 13th (2009) - 8/10

This is unquestionably the single greatest and most grossly underrated film of the entire franchise. Combining the best elements of the first four series instalments - Mrs. Vorhees' death from #1, Jason's shrine to his decapitated mother / mistakenly thinking one of his would-be victims is her from #2, adopting the Hockey Mask from #3 and Rob's revenge subplot for #4 - with a new interpretation of Jason as a survivalist / hunter gave it more meat on its bones than any one of the previous films ever had alone. It even managed to pull a Psycho by completely killing off its initial cast before the title card came up (approximately 25 minutes into the movie).

Unlike many of the previous films in the series, the deaths were brutal without being sadistic and the tone was consistantly serious (even if it did divulge in some drunken levity from time to time). The characters were reasonably complex and reasonably intelligent for the kind of movie that it was trying to be and the overall production was far better than the series ever deserved.

Kiss the Other Sheik (1965)

"Oggi, domani, dopodomani" (original title)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Master of My Domain
The Fifth Element

A great sci-fi film. Probably my 5th time watching it, I enjoy it a lot whenever I can because it's one of those comfort movies. I like the set and consume designs, humor, action which are creative and have a light, fun camp feeling. Gary Oldman, one of my favorite actors is again in a fantastic role. It has everything for me, and I'm disappointed because it isn't discussed much around MoFo.

@Gatsby The Fifth Element is a great movie.... I was like 11 years old when i frist saw this movie... and i still love it.

Unregistered User
Onibaba (1964) - Kaneto Shindo

I had heard and read praises about this one before but didn't expect it to be this good...in fact, a great film. An amazing cinematic experience, mind blowing...this one will definitely feature in my 60s list...

9.5 out of 10
Glad you enjoyed it. It's a definate for my list too.

Unregistered User

The Cremator (1969)

Another one that will take a while to settle in. Haunting, chilling and at times grotesque funny...... and that's just the performance from Hrusinsky, the lead role. Again, finding this hard to rate as I don't think i've seen anything quite like it. I don't think it will make my list but I'm glad I watched it.

+?

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)

Set during the great depression, desperate people enter a grueling dance marathon for a large cash prize. The contest is so grueling, that their lives are at risk. There's a lot of people who consider this amongst the bleakest and most depressing American films ever made. I think that is a little bit of an exaggeration, but it most definitely has those qualities. I did think it had some flaws. I did not think that it looked like a depression era film, and I thought that at times it was overdone to the point where I had a slightly difficult time completely buying into it. Oddly enough, the movie reminded me of The Running Man. I love The Running Man, but that's not what I was looking for in this movie. Jane Fonda is the main star and I've become a fan of her's as an actress. She was nominated for an Oscar for this, but I thought she was merely good. I thought her performance came off as a bit forced. I believe this movie was nominated for 9 Oscars in total. Despite my perceived flaws, I think this is a very good film. It is unique, powerful, and memorable.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Blazing Saddles

Being honest the comedy genre is probably my least favorite(and least preferred genre of films). I find most of them obnoxious and almost unbearable to watch. I knew that this was considered a great classic, so blind bought it and gave it a shot. Worst case scenario this could be a flaming turd like Ghostbusters or it could actually be good. Blazing Saddles flies way past good and into spectacular, as I was laughing throughout the films' entire runtime. The visual gags, jokes, puns are clever, hilarious and extremely well-done. The cast is superb, the sets and costumes are top notch, and the film is paced perfectly. I loved this film.

Saving Private Ryan
Steven Spielberg
Solid movie. A bit overlong in my opinion, but the movie is technically and visually stunning. Tom Hanks is at his best, and Jeremy Davies offered a solid performance too. The ending is particularly great also.

Shoot the Piano Player (1960)

French film from the top 100 noirs list, but it didn't really seem like a noir to me. I thought it was a humorous crime/drama/romance. Nothing special, but entertaining and easy to watch.

Il Bidone (1955) - Federico Fellini

It's the second film of the trilogy of loneliness, it's a good one, but nowhere near the other two films of the trilogy (La Strada and Nights of Cabiria), which are absolute masterpieces...

6 out of 10

Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - Alain Resnais

A difficult film, this was my second attempt and hardly I remembered much about the first, except this that any effort towards finding a comprehensible, conclusive answer to the happenings/non-happenings was an impossibility...You are, as a viewer, free to form (this probably is one of the films that is better to discuss than to watch ).

Very difficult to rate, I would give it 8 out of 10