Your Top 10 Non Hollywood, Non English Movies

Tools    

Yeah, i have. Well, I am from India, and probably watched Indian Films more than any other in my life...but while making the list no Indian film came to my mind that deserved to be here. Don't get offended, i am just asking, do you watch Indian films? I mean, films that are very famous and all, internationally...like, films of Ray, Ghatak, Sathyu, Sen etc?
Don't worry, I'm not offended

I've seen some Indian movies, but not enough to say I have a really informed opinion, certainly. I'm open to suggestions. From the directors you mentioned I've seen Khandahar and 4 Ray films (my favorite was The Music Room). Other than that I've seen maybe 20 others (the majority but not all Bollywood). What I see when I watch Amar Akbar Anthony (it seems typical of the genre too, but that's the one that I think does it best) is a fascinating mishmash of genuine Victorian melodrama taken out of Dickens, martial arts cinema, and early-thirties '30s Hollywood musical escapism. Also a delayed title sequence that would make Godard blush. I'm not even sure how much of its effect on me is deliberate (I would guess not, and imagine as an American viewer I'm missing a lot of what the original Hindi audience saw), but cinematic dilettante that I am I find it very appealing.

1. Goodbye to Language
2. Stalker
3. Pierrot le Fou
4. Life, and Nothing More
5. The Passion of Joan of Arc
6. 8 1/2
7. Where is the Friend's House?
8. La Rupture
9. Fanny and Alexander
10. Close-Up

Don't worry, I'm not offended

I've seen some Indian movies, but not enough to say I have a really informed opinion, certainly. I'm open to suggestions. From the directors you mentioned I've seen Khandahar and 4 Ray films (my favorite was The Music Room). Other than that I've seen maybe 20 others (the majority but not all Bollywood). What I see when I watch Amar Akbar Anthony (it seems typical of the genre too, but that's the one that I think does it best) is a fascinating mishmash of genuine Victorian melodrama taken out of Dickens, martial arts cinema, and early-thirties '30s Hollywood musical escapism. Also a delayed title sequence that would make Godard blush. I'm not even sure how much of its effect on me is deliberate (I would guess not, and imagine as an American viewer I'm missing a lot of what the original Hindi audience saw), but cinematic dilettante that I am I find it very appealing.
Guess I need to see Amar Akbar Anthony again...

1. Goodbye to Language
2. Stalker
3. Pierrot le Fou
4. Life, and Nothing More
5. The Passion of Joan of Arc
6. 8 1/2
7. Where is the Friend's House?
8. La Rupture
9. Fanny and Alexander
10. Close-Up
Truly loved this list...it might have something to do with Kiarostami I am a big fan of his...though one thing, Close Up always seems a bit overrated to me...films like Wind Will Carry Us and Ten...specially, Ten I feel is much better...

Can they be non English movies with an English dub? I hate reading subtitles for the entire movie.
1. PMMM part 2
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
4. Castle in the Sky
5. My Neighbor Totoro
6. Children Who Chase Lost Voices
7. PMMM part 1
8. La Belle et la Bete
9. The Passion of Joan of Arc (See? They're not all anime. Just 80% of them.)
10. The Secret World of Arriety
Most of them are Anime!

Not in any particular order-

The Seven Samurai
City of God
I Saw the Devil
Onibaba
Contempt
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Ordet
A Seperation
The Marriage of Maria Braun
High and Low

Then

The Tin Drum
Grave of the Fireflies
Le Trou
Divorce Italian Style
Wolf Children
Persepolis
Harakari
War and Peace
La Femme Nikita
The 400 Blows

Rashomon
Jagten
Umberto D
Grave of the fireflies
Der Untergang.
Ikiru
Secret in their eyes
City of God
M
Les Diabolique

In particular order of course, just Rashomon being #1. I hate ranking movies. But last years Tangerines would be a very good honorable mention

Not a definitive top ten, but these are the first ones that sprang to mind:

Fitzcarraldo
Seven Samurai
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Nosferatu the Vampyre
The Wages of Fear
Wild Strawberries
La Strada
I Saw the Devil
Knife in the Water
Persona

Others have already posted many of my Top 10, but I think that Los Viajes Del Viento warrants mention.

The story follows the adventures of an accordion-playing troubadour in Colombia. His adventures are all tinged with melancholy and a vague sense of the surreal. This bucking of the traditional adventuring-hero archetype makes for a fascinating storyline from an intellectual standpoint, but the movie also delivers raw entertainment with a couple jaw-droppingly virtuosic accordion "rap battles" or dueling or whatever. You've got these dudes in a ring of people, puffing their chests out, strutting around in sequined shirts with thick handlebar mustaches, and just absolutely shredding on these accordions. The machismo, the talent, the hilarity of it, it all makes for a captivating spectacle.

1. Late Spring (1949) - Yasujiro Ozu
2. In the Mood For Love (2000) - Wong Kar Wai
3. 3-Iron (2004) - Kim Ki Duk
4. Oldboy (2003) - Park Chan Wook
5. Persona (1966) - Ingmar Bergman
6. A Separation (2011) - Asghar Farhadi
7. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring (2003) - Kim Ki Duk
8. Dolls (2002) - Takeshi Kitano
9. Be With Me (2005) - Eric Khoo
10. Nights of Cabiria (1957) - Federico Fellini

11. Still Walking (2008) - Hirokazu Koreeda
12. The Weeping Meadow (2004) - Theodoros Angelopoulos
13. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) - Isao Takahata
14. Confessions (2010) - Tetsuya Nakashima
15. Fanny & Alexander (1982) - Ingmar Bergman
16. Spirit of the Beehive (1973) - Victor Erice
17. The Turin Horse (2011) - Bela Tarr
18. Equinox Flower (1958) - Yasujiro Ozu
19. The World of Apu (1959) - Satyajit Ray
20. High & Low (1963) - Akira Kurosawa

8 1/2
Solaris
Le Samourai
Chungking Express
Stalker
The Holy Mountain
Werckmeister Harmonies
anything by Bergman
anything by Kieslowski
anything by Bunuel

Much that once was is lost
I tried to list a few from different countries...but there are so many. I should add one of Myazaki's films at least...

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (Kim Ki-duk)
Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa)
Butterfly's Tongue (José Luis Cuerda)
The Sea Inside (Alejandro Amenábar)
The Wave (Dennis Gansel)
Son of the Bride (Juan José Campanella)
Life of the Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck)
La Haine (Mathieu Kassovitz)
Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore)