GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

WARNING: "BIRDMAN SPOILERS!!!" spoilers below
Originally I thought the ending should have been when he shot himself on stage, but the more I think about the actual ending, the more interesting it makes the movie. Had it ended on stage, I would have no reason to watch the movie again.
That sharp dialogue and camera movement were enough for me. I loved nearly every second of it.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
My first thought when I saw the ending was basically "WTF?". It seemed like everything that happened was in his mind until then, so how could he actually fly away at the end.

But then I thought back about some of the other things that happened, and I started to wonder what other things had the possibility of being real.

When I have time, I want to watch the movie again and pay closer attention this time to some of the things that we think are in his mind, and see what could possibly be real.
At one point Ed Norton is carrying Labyrinths which involves the type of fiction your talking about so it's possible the director is playing with that genre. The problem I have with this view is that the movie then loses virtually all of its power for me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
At one point Ed Norton is carrying Labyrinths which involves the type of fiction your talking about so it's possible the director is playing with that genre. The problem I have with this view is that the movie then loses virtually all of its power for me.

For me, it worked the opposite. The ending added a whole new level to the movie.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
The ending added a whole new level to the movie.
I would agree but say a new level wasn't only unnecessary but really marred the movie for me. I did see two of the screenplay writers interviewed briefly and one said he didn't understand the ending himself. If true, if he wasn't being coy or something else, that speaks volumes for me, and not in a good way.

I'm going to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel soon, maybe even today. I expect to feel the way that you do, but I will try to have an open mind.

I'm also a fan of Seems Like Old Times

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
WARNING: "Birdman" spoilers below

I really think that he was dead before that scene. That he shot himself and died on stage. Notice how we get cuts for the first time. Then the final scene is just a fantasy of what he wanted to achieve, recognition for his play and recognition from his daughter, as well as being free of his character.
Well how about this for a theory that came to me while watching it -

The whole thing is a fantasy or dream that unfolds in a fever dream of sorts as he lies on a beach after being stuck by loads of jellyfish. It's all the delusions of a fever dream brought on by the sting or its like life flashing before your eyes as he is drowning.

There's a very brief, almost imperceptible flash of that scene in the opening credits and it the returns right at the end after he's shot himself. During the film he tells a story to his ex-wife about being stung by dozens of jellyfish. Perhaps that is actually what is happening. What unfolds is all in Riggin's head and it is him mentally coming to terms with his life, examining and sorting out all the pain and the relationships in his life that led to his attempts to commit suicide. He is attempting to rationalise his existence as an actor, a father and a husband.

None of it being reality would easily explain all the film's odd touches such as his powers and would also make the single take approach actually relevant to the story instead of a mere visual gimmick. If that's all unfolding as a train of consciousness from his mind I can see how the single take would be an interpretation of that.

As for the final scene, shooting himself is representative of his suicide attempt and the fact that he is dying/dead. The scene in the hospital room is then his acceptance of it. His mind has provided him closure and he can now let go (as visualised by his 'flying') and his daughter's smile is representative of him coming to peace with everything and in his mind he is getting the approval/forgiveness of his daughter which is all he really craves.

I'm not saying everything there makes sense or that I even definitely subscribe to that theory but just throwing it out there

Well how about this for a theory that came to me while watching it -

The whole thing is a fantasy or dream that unfolds in a fever dream of sorts as he lies on a beach after being stuck by loads of jellyfish. It's all the delusions of a fever dream brought on by the sting or its like life flashing before your eyes as he is drowning.

There's a very brief, almost imperceptible flash of that scene in the opening credits and it the returns right at the end after he's shot himself. During the film he tells a story to his ex-wife about being stung by dozens of jellyfish. Perhaps that is actually what is happening. What unfolds is all in Riggin's head and it is him mentally coming to terms with his life, examining and sorting out all the pain and the relationships in his life that led to his attempts to commit suicide. He is attempting to rationalise his existence as an actor, a father and a husband.

None of it being reality would easily explain all the film's odd touches such as his powers and would also make the single take approach actually relevant to the story instead of a mere visual gimmick. If that's all unfolding as a train of consciousness from his mind I can see how the single take would be an interpretation of that.

As for the final scene, shooting himself is representative of his suicide attempt and the fact that he is dying/dead. The scene in the hospital room is then his acceptance of it. His mind has provided him closure and he can now let go (as visualised by his 'flying') and his daughter's smile is representative of him coming to peace with everything and in his mind he is getting the approval/forgiveness of his daughter which is all he really craves.

I'm not saying everything there makes sense or that I even definitely subscribe to that theory but just throwing it out there

I read something about jellyfish on the IMDB forums after I watched the movie, but I don't remember seeing them in the movie. That's another reason that I want to re-watch this movie when I get a chance. This sounds like a good explanation for a lot of what happens in the movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The thing you see at the very beginning and just before the hospital scene at the end is the falling burning thing in the sky, something resembling something which blew up or reentered our atmosphere.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Others have thrown out what JayDee has. If that's what's intended, then the movie becomes farce for me. I mean that's the oldest most lame device in the book.

If no hints were dropped throughout the film, almost any of these scenarios would be plausible to me. The fact that the movie twice goes out of the way to show me Keaton is dillusional negates many of these theories for me.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
If no hints were dropped throughout the film, almost any of these scenarios would be plausible to me. The fact that the movie twice goes out of the way to show me Keaton is dillusional negates many of these theories for me.
I agree with respect to the magic realism theory. The problem with JayDee's is that the Birdman device essentially loses its import, becomes a silly contrivance. The theory that looks at things per the opening night incident shares a similar problem.

I was really taken by this movie, its intimacy, the way it was shot, it's meditation on love, admiration, self-worth, Keaton's masterful performance, and then the end just made a mess of it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, I don't know because one of my fave parts of the movie is the simple shot of Michael Keaton's profile at the end, his nose making him look like Birdman, as he stares up out the window.

Well, I don't know because one of my fave parts of the movie is the simple shot of Michael Keaton's profile at the end, his nose making him look like Birdman, as he stares up out the window.
Forgot about that. It was a really cool shot. I would sacrifice it though.

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965) - I watched this movie for the upcoming 1965 movies list. It was recommended by both Zotis and Honeykid, and it was a very good recommendation.

British spy Alec Leamas, (Richard Burton), is sent to East Germany for one last mission. He is supposed to be a double agent for the British who will plant information to discredit East German Agent Hans-Dieter Mundt, (Peter Van Eyck). When he appears to be a broke alcoholic, he is recruited by the Germans, but he soon finds out that his mission is not what it appears to be.

This is a good spy film, but it's not my favorite spy film. It's gets a bit confusing at times, but if you pay close attention, everything makes sense in the end. The pacing is a bit slow, but the movie is never boring. It's feels much more realistic than a lot of other spy movies, maybe because it feels more like a thriller, and less like an action movie. The entire cast is great, especially Richard Burton who gives a standout performance.

If you like spy thrillers, and you don't need all the action and glamour of James Bond, then I recommend this movie.

Thank you to both Zotis and Honeykid for the recommendation.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Spy-Who-Came-in-from-the-Cold-1965-wide.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	19721  

Boeing, Boeing (1965) - This is another movie that I watched for the upcoming 1965 movies list. I watched it mainly for Tony Curtis and Thelma Ritter, but I didn't have high hopes for it because I'm not a fan of Jerry Lewis. However, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Bernard Lawrence, (Tony Curtis), is an American journalist who lives in Paris, France. He has a carefully planned system for dating three girls all at the same time because they are all airline stewardesses who work for different airlines, so they are each in Paris at different times, and none of the girls knows about the other two girls. However when the airlines add new faster jets to their fleets, the girls' schedules change, and they all end up in Paris at the same time, causing Bernard's life to turn into complete chaos. With the help of his housekeeper Bertha, (Thelma Ritter), and his not-so-good friend Robert Reed, (Jerry Lewis), he tries to keep the girls from finding out about each other. This is complicated even further when Robert finds out that Bernard is up for a promotion that would require him to move to New York, so he schemes to take over Bernard's girls, his apartment, and his lifestyle.

This is a very funny movie, but it's far from the best comedy ever. It doesn't have any good laugh-out-loud moments, but it has lots of chuckles throughout the movie. It has some basic plot holes, like the fact that these girls can't hear people who are talking right outside their doors, but nothing major that can't be overlooked. Thelma Ritter is fantastic, and she steals the movie in every scene she's in. Tony Curtis and Jerry Lewis worked very well together in this movie. Tony Curtis is great as the playboy, and surprisingly, Jerry Lewis didn't annoy me in this movie like he normally does in most of his movies.

If your looking for a good comedy, I recommend this fun movie.

Attachments

Name:	Boeing, Boeing-1965.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	19722  

American Sniper (2014) - I watched this because it was nominated for the 2015 Best Picture Oscar. I didn't think that it was my type of movie, but the trailer looked pretty intense, so it caught my attention. Unfortunately, I probably should have gone with my first instincts.

U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, (Bradley Cooper), is considered a legend. With 160 confirmed kills out of 255 probable kills, he is the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history. This is his story, and how it affected his wife and family back home.

This is an interesting story, but the movie seems to drag on quite a bit. It wasn't nearly as intense as I expected, and it lacked quite a bit in character development of everyone except Chris Kyle. Even his wife's character wasn't developed enough for us to really care about her feelings. The best scene in the movie is when Chris meets a stranger, and finds out that this stranger is actually a young man whose life he saved. And the ending left a lot to be desired, like maybe an actual explanation of what happened to him that day.

Overall, it's an interesting story if you're just curious about Chris Kyle, but the movie itself is kind of bland. I'm surprised to see it in the same category with some of the other Oscar nominees.

Attachments

Name:	American Sniper 2014.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	19746  

Sorry to bring up Birdman again and, i can't use Spoiler tags properly with this tablet so.

BIRDMAN SPOILERS!!!

I haven't read through all of the comments regarding it, but if Seans comment about the two scenes it showed Keaton is just delusional. Were 1.The scene were he is apparently throwing things about with his mind in his dressing room, but Zack Galaffiloukiz (lol couldn't remember his surname) walks in and he is clearly holding the items in his hands. and 2. The (amazing) scene were he flies about the city, he has crearly been dropped off by the cab driver who then demands his fair.

I thought it was telling that most of the 'Birdman' moments came after a usually disastrous performance of the play, including the last scene were he now looks similar to Birdman because of his new nose. I imagine the Director wanted it to be left open for interpretation by the viewer, and i personally take to the death on stage or death in the last scene, idea better than he ever had any powers and flew away. Still JayDees idea is the best .