Horror Movie HoF

Tools    

Unregistered User

The Haunting (1963)

More than just a haunted house movie, The Haunting is a genuinely creepy and shocking psychological horror. From the uneven dimensions of the house to the fantastically menacing spiral staircase, this was a really well-executed and atmospheric horror story. I loved the feeling of the presence throughout the house, which came from superb performances from all the cast. Now, I wouldn't really label this a ghost story however it's probably not too far off, but for me this sits up with some of the best horror films of it's kind, in particular The Innocents, which would work brilliantly as a double feature. How I would of loved to have watched this in the cinema when it first came out.

Intelligent, effective and downright chilling........ an absolute masterpiece!

+

Horror Hall of Fame
POSSESSION

— 1981 —

I knew very little about this film going in, and that is almost always a great thing. When you can simply sit down and immerse yourself into something that has nothing but your interest, and you are without any form knowledge, experience or anything of that matter. I had barely read the plot synopsis, so I was actually pretty excited. Unfortunately it didn't turn out at all like my kind of movie...

So, basically we are just thrown into the midst of things without much knowledge of who the characters are and what is going to happen, and I liked that. The way it was set up and the way the first half hour of the movie moved forward, almost felt like Rosemary's Baby, which of course was a great plus! I love horror movies that are not necessarily full-blown genre flicks, but instead seamlessly cross between other genres. Especially drama works great, as you are sometimes left in the dark to what is happening, which is also what this movie used, and I liked that. But as the film progressed, it just became worse and worse to me. It went from feeling mostly professionally made and well acted, to some extremely weird and campy indie feature or something. What the hell was that about?

The story gets quite messy and incoherent, and you are never really told much about anything. And it doesn't help much either, when it all just gets weirder and more f*cked up as time goes by. My most hated aspect was when the characters in the film was "possessed" or looked like being possessed. Waving their hands around the air and acting like they tried to get accepted into the amateur play in middle school. Especially when the female lead was in the tunnels of the subway station, and out of nowhere, began to do this impression of a crack head doing heavy-metal head banging to the sound of absolute silence. That is, forgetting about the annoying screams she continues to do throughout the scene. That scene just went on forever, and suddenly I just broke out into laughter and couldn't believe what was happening. The character was just rolling around the floor and tossing herself around and up the walls while screaming and shouting like a mad person! I mean, what am I supposed to feel here, exactly?

And from there on, it even gets weirder than that; tons of unexplained things happening, people bleeding, people dying, people screaming, people getting eaten, and people having sex with inhuman creatures. I mean, what the hell am I supposed to think of all this? I feel like my eyes began to hurt from all this, and my brain got badly insulted and began to melt out of my ear, in about two hours or more. And what is even worse is that it looked to be such a great film in the beginning. The visuals were nice and natural, the soundtrack was not that present but very experimental and haunting when it was there, and the acting seemed great and I really love Sam Neill as well. But sorry, this just wasn't for me at all. It was missing consistency, focus, and control. It was just an ugly mess in my opinion… unfortunately.

-

and my brain got badly insulted and began to melt out of my ear
You should probably go to the hospital.

What are some of your favorite horror movies, MM? You don't seem to be a big fan of the genre.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You make it sound better than I remember! But I'm not planning a rewatch anytime soon. Well, not better, but more eventful.

You should probably go to the hospital.

What are some of your favorite horror movies, MM? You don't seem to be a big fan of the genre.
Damn, I really come off that way? Sh*t.

I love horror films. I'm even currently compiling a Top 50 of my favourite horror films of all time. And between the age of 10 and 15 it was basically all that I watched - or the majority was at least. The problem is there are just so many bad ones out there, and after experiencing horror films from A-Z as well, I feel like I have a harder time getting impressed when it comes to this genre.

I kind of don't want to give you my favourite horror films, as you will see them soon enough in my top 50.

I don't know why a fan of horror cinema would stop liking certain ones just because they've seen a lot. I still enjoy bad horror movies, to the max, granted not modern ones. I don't really care for a lot of modern horror for the most part (exception: The f*cking Babadook!). But, anyway, I think there's a charm to a lot of the bad horror movies of ages past, while bad horror movies that are more recent are just that, bad. My dad on the other hand is always buying these crappy new horror movies and I'm like, why dad, why waste your money on that when you can buy Slumber Party Massacre 3, just as bad but still better! In fact, give me an 80's slasher no matter how bad and I'll watch the sh*t out of that sh*t.

Don't mean to argue with you bruh I just don't get that line of reasoning. Horror fans often (but obviously not always, as you are evidence of) like the crap in the genre too, and I'm part of that camp, which is why it's weird to me. But I'm kind of a sucker for horror movies pre-2000's.

Another exception: Cabin Fever.

Actually there are quite a few good post-2000's horror movies, it's just the bad ones I'm not into.

Damn, I really come off that way? Sh*t.

I love horror films. I'm even currently compiling a Top 50 of my favourite horror films of all time. And between the age of 10 and 15 it was basically all that I watched - or the majority was at least. The problem is there are just so many bad ones out there, and after experiencing horror films from A-Z as well, I feel like I have a harder time getting impressed when it comes to this genre.

I kind of don't want to give you my favourite horror films, as you will see them soon enough in my top 50.
Fair enough. I look forward to your list, especially with your knack for including great write-ups.

I love horror, too, but you're right: a person has to wade through so much crap just to find one gem. I see a lot of horror movies nowadays that I'm sure I would've loved as a kid or a teenager, but I guess the flaws are now much more noticeable to me.

Another exception: Cabin Fever.

Actually there are quite a few good post-2000's horror movies, it's just the bad ones I'm not into.
Im not a fan of straight to video Horror that is current. I dont mind going to the theatre to see current horror. But I do prefer to seek out horror from other countries and watch them.

I enjoy horror films done by Blumhouse Production.

Im not a fan of straight to video Horror that is current.
Yeah that's what I meant. The straight to DVD horror that comes out nowadays is horrible.

Yeah that's what I meant. The straight to DVD horror that comes out nowadays is horrible.
I agree... I dont think I seen anything good .. I know it shows up on Netflix or Hulu soon so I will attempt to watch it there. "Jessabelle" is a current horror that is straight to DVD by Blumhouse... I did watch that with my movie buddy but it wasnt something I really enjoyed.

Believe me, if I had the means (which I mean "money"), I would fly to Europe and go to the cinema... but thats not ever going to happen...

I don't know why a fan of horror cinema would stop liking certain ones just because they've seen a lot. I still enjoy bad horror movies, to the max, granted not modern ones. I don't really care for a lot of modern horror for the most part (exception: The f*cking Babadook!). But, anyway, I think there's a charm to a lot of the bad horror movies of ages past, while bad horror movies that are more recent are just that, bad. My dad on the other hand is always buying these crappy new horror movies and I'm like, why dad, why waste your money on that when you can buy Slumber Party Massacre 3, just as bad but still better! In fact, give me an 80's slasher no matter how bad and I'll watch the sh*t out of that sh*t.

Don't mean to argue with you bruh I just don't get that line of reasoning. Horror fans often (but obviously not always, as you are evidence of) like the crap in the genre too, and I'm part of that camp, which is why it's weird to me. But I'm kind of a sucker for horror movies pre-2000's.
I think you have misunderstood me, or I might not have made things clear.

This was just not a good movie. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy the campy horror films, the low-budget ones, the high-budget ones, the scary, the symbolic, the vampires, the zombies... and I could go on forever. I LOVE the genre, but this was just a bad movie in my opinion and doesn't at all represent my taste in the various sub-genres.

Just to mention a few movies of great variation that I love,

Dead Alive/Braindead, The Others (2001), Psycho, The Fly (1986), Poltergeist, the Saw movies, Jacob's Ladder, V/H/S 1-2, From Dusk Till Dawn, The Evil Dead trilogy, Rogue, Dumplings, Child's Play, Oculus...........

So I don't see myself at all as throwing unnecessary hate towards a sub-genre, I just didn't like this particular film. And because I've seen a lot of horror and because I get older, I obviously notice more flaws and stuff, but that has nothing to do with the genre, that goes for ALL films. That is because I get more knowledge as I watch, and that doesn't mean I can't enjoy certain campy flicks or whatever. And as I've always said: A film can be great as long as it knows what kind of movie it is. If it goes for camp, fine, if it goes for scaryness, fine. But that don't means some can't be sh*t.

Ah okay. There is a lot of unwatchable crap in the genre for sure.

I guess that's where I stand apart from some of you... if its English speaking, I really enjoy older horror

Dragonwyck (1946), The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), Island of Lost Souls (1932), Dracula (1931), Frankenstein (1931), The Mummy (1932), King Kong (1933), Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), The Haunting (1963), The House on Haunted Hill (1959), Phantom of the Opera (1925), The Uninvited (1944), Salem's Lot (1979), The Omen (1976)... and many more before the 1980s...

Horror from the 80s, I just look back and think how cheesy it was..

Chappie doesn't like the real world
There may have been a lot of cheesy horror movies in the eighties, but there are some good ones too.
Yeah, I think the 80s were a really good decade for horror. The 70s though. The 70s had some of the best all time horror movies out there.

There's The Shining, The Fly, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (which I still need to watch), Videodrome, Pumpkinhead, Dead Ringers (Which I also still need to see), and Children of the Corn to name a bunch that I'm familiar with.

There's The Shining, The Fly, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (which I still need to watch), Videodrome, Pumpkinhead, Dead Ringers (Which I also still need to see), and Children of the Corn to name a bunch that I'm familiar with.

there are a few from the 80's that I enjoyed.. but then there are some that are just cheese... .my movie buddy and I watched "Motel Hell" together about a year ago... and I just laughed the whole time.. It wasnt that great....