GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

The Big Combo, I haven't seen that one either (yet) but I like a violent noir as it's not bloody, let gutsy.

The Lady from Shanghai, I thought Orson's Irish accent was a deal breaker. I haven't watched it again though.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Big Combo, I haven't seen that one either (yet) but I like a violent noir as it's not bloody, let gutsy.

The Lady from Shanghai, I thought Orson's Irish accent was a deal breaker. I haven't watched it again though.

Yeah, one of the nice things about old movies is regardless of how violent the movie is, they're rarely too graphic for me to watch. Even the old horror movies are more suspenseful than horror.

I don't know why Welles decided to use an Irish accent in The Lady from Shanghai, but I didn't think it was necessary. I think it actually hurts the movie a little bit.

The Gazebo (1959) - Recommended by Mark F.

I knew nothing about this movie before I watched it, except that it was recommended by Mark when I mentioned that Glenn Ford didn't work for me as a romantic leading man because he seemed too rigid and cold to be the guy who gets the girl. Mark recommended this movie starring Glenn Ford in one of his lighter performances, and it was an excellent recommendation.

Elliot Nash, (Glenn Ford), is a TV producer who is being blackmailed by Dan Shelby over some old nude photographs of his wife Nell, (Debbie Reynolds). Using advice given to him by his friend, District Attorney Harlow Edison, (Carl Reiner), Elliott decides that the only way to stop the blackmailer is to kill him. His plan is to shoot Shelby, and bury him under the foundation of a gazebo his wife bought. Things get even more complicated the next day when Harlow tells Elliott that Shelby has been shot and killed in his hotel room, leaving Elliott wondering who he murdered.

This movie completely changed my mind about Glenn Ford. This movie is one of the funniest movies I've seen, and Ford was wonderful in this movie. He's hysterical as his plan goes awry, and he has to improvise, even going so far as to get advice from the master of murder plots, Alfred Hitchcock.

Debbie Reynolds and Carl Reiner were also great in this movie. Glenn Ford and Debbie Reynolds have wonderful chemistry together. There are also great performances by the supporting cast including John McGiver as Sam Thorpe, the contractor the Nashes hired to install the gazebo, Mabel Albertson as Miss Chandler, the real estate agent trying to sell the Nashes' house, Doro Merande as Matilda, the Nashes' servant, and even Herman, a pigeon Elliott saved who makes the situation even more complicated at times.

This movie is a nice change of pace because it's a crime movie with some suspenseful scenes, but it's mostly a comedy with some of the funniest scenes ever. I highly recommend this wonderful movie.

Thank You Mark F for the recommendation. You truly are the Master of Movies.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Gazebo-1959.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	19466  

You watch a good number of movies, I'm impressed. But I wish you'd post your Noir reviews in the HoF thread, too. We could use more discussion there.

Happy New Year (1987) - Peter Falk and Charles Durning star as Nick and Charlie, a pair of aging crooks who come up with an elaborate plan to rob a jewelry store. Peter Falk plays several roles, including being disguised as an elderly man and his elderly sister, when he visits the jewelry store several times to gain the trust of the store's manager Edward Saunders, (Tom Courtenay), and to case the store's security system. As Nick, he also meets Carolyn, (Wendy Hughes), an attractive woman who owns an antique shop next to the jewelry store, and they begin a romance. As expected in these types of movies, on the night of the robbery, their robbery doesn't go as planned.

Peter Falk is great in this movie, but the movie is far from the best of his career. The movie is okay, but there is just nothing special about it. The heist itself is kind of boring, with no real drama, action or suspense. There are a few laughs in the movie, but not enough to consider this a good comedy movie either. Peter Falk and Wendy Hughes have nice chemistry together, but they don't spend enough time together on screen to make it worth watching the movie just for them.

If you happen to be flipping channels and this movie is on TV, it's worth a watch, but it's not worth spending any time or money trying to locate this movie.

Attachments

Name:	Happy-New-Year-1987.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	19493  

Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (1965) - I watched this movie for the upcoming 1965 movie list. It's not a movie that I would normally watch, but it was on TV, and it sounded like mindless fun, so I decided to take a chance. This movie is a parody of the spy-thrillers mixed with some beach-party fun, but without the dancing and singing. It stars Vincent Price, Frankie Avalon, Dwayne Hickman, Susan Hart, Jack Mullaney and Fred Clark.

Dr. Goldfoot, (Vincent Price), is a mad scientist who, with the help of his assistant Igor, (Jack Mullaney), builds an army of bikini-clad robots who are programmed to seek out wealthy men and charm them into signing over their assets. Todd Armstrong, (Dwayne Hickman), is one of the men who was seduced into marrying Diane, (Susan Hart), one of the girl robots. Craig Gamble, (Frankie Avalon), is a secret agent who is mistaken for Armstrong, and falls in love with the girl, and tries to find her. Together, the two men try to stop Dr. Goldfoot from succeeding with his plan.

As expected, this movie is basically just a crazy, but fun, movie. It's not hysterical, laugh-out-loud funny, but it's just a silly movie that will make you smile. Vincent Price is great as the mad scientist. The highlight of the movie is a great chase scene through San Francisco. There's even a "blink and you'll miss it" cameo appearance by Harvey Lembeck.

If you're just looking to sit back and relax with a fun movie, this one is worth watching, especially if you're a fan of Vincent Price.

Attachments

Name:	Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine-1965.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	19494  

The Third Man (1949) - I watched this movie for the Noir HoF. It's a re-watch of a movie that I've seen before.

American author Holly Martins, (Joseph Cotten), is called to Vienna by his friend, Harry Lime, (Orson Welles). When he arrives, he finds that Lime was killed in an accident a few days earlier. Police Sergeant Paine, (Bernard Lee), and Major Calloway, (Trevor Howard), tell Martins that Lime was a criminal, and Martins should leave town. A witness tells Martins that three men carried off Lime's body after it was hit by a truck, but Martins can only find two of the three men. Martins begins his own investigation to find out what happened to his friend, and who was the third man.

The story gets a lot more interesting from there. There are some great suspenseful and memorable scenes, especially the sewer chase scene. The atmosphere is perfect giving the movie a haunting feeling. Some of the music is good, but at times, the music gets a bit annoying.

This is a great movie with excellent acting, including an outstanding performance by Joseph Cotten. I highly recommend this movie.

Attachments

Name:	The-Third-Man-1949.jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	19508  

The Wrong Man (1956) - I watched this movie for the Noir HoF. It's a re-watch of a movie that I've seen before. It's not my favorite Hitchcock movie, but it seems to get better with every re-watch.

Henry Fonda stars as Christopher Emmanuel Balestrero, known to his friends as "Manny". He is a loving husband and father. He is a musician who plays at the Stork Club, but he doesn't make much money. He goes to the insurance company to borrow money against his wife's policy, and the staff there recognize him as the man who twice robbed the insurance office. They call the police, who pick him up outside his home. After several witnesses identify Manny as the robber, he is arrested for several robberies. Attorney Frank O'Connor, (Anthony Quayle), tries to prove that the police have arrested the wrong man, but the situation causes Manny's wife Rose, (Vera Miles), to become deeply depressed.

The movie has a very dark and depressing feel to it, which works well for this story. We follow along with Manny and Rose as they desperately try to find an alibi witness who can prove Manny's innocence, and we feel the devastation they feel each time they come up empty.

This movie is different from most Hitchcock films because it's based on the true story of an innocent man who was charged with a crime due to a case of mistaken identity. If you're a Hitchcock fan, (and who isn't), don't expect a normal Hitchcock movie, but this is definitely a movie worth watching.

Attachments

Name:	The-Wrong-Man-1956-wide.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	19511  

I'm going to be paying attention to what you watch from 1965. I'm almost done with my watchlist for that year, and so far there's not much I really like.

I went crazy at the beginning of this month watching 22 movies in the first 5 days, but all of a sudden, you're 1 ahead of me. Do you normally watch movies at this pace?

I'm going to be paying attention to what you watch from 1965. I'm almost done with my watchlist for that year, and so far there's not much I really like.

I went crazy at the beginning of this month watching 22 movies in the first 5 days, but all of a sudden, you're 1 ahead of me. Do you normally watch movies at this pace?

I try to watch at least 2 or 3 movies a day, sometimes more, but I don't list all the movies here. I work on the computer in a home-office, so I have the TV on all the time, and I watch a lot of movies. When I get very busy, I usually watch movies that I've seen before so I don't have to pay as close attention as I have to for new movies. I try to watch the new movies at night after hubby goes to sleep so I can pay attention to them and he doesn't bother me by talking during the movie.

I almost nominated her for master of movies; next year looks like a certainty.

Nah, I'm definitely not a Master of Movies. I watch a lot of movies, but I don't have the movie knowledge that a lot of other people here have. I just enjoy watching movies.

Nah, I'm definitely not a Master of Movies. I watch a lot of movies, but I don't have the movie knowledge that a lot of other people here have. I just enjoy watching movies.
Well then that;s why we need a NEW category then...

2015 Mofo Award for Most Dedicating Movie Watcher!

Cricket, can you make that happen

Well then that;s why we need a NEW category then...

2015 Mofo Award for Most Dedicating Movie Watcher!

Cricket, can you make that happen

Thanks, but I don't need an award to watch movies. I just need more hours in the day.