Movie Tab

Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
What have you given an E? (Just wondering)

And I liked The Matrix Reloaded. It wasn't great, but good. Using your rating system, I'd say maybe a B+. So I guess I can appreciate utter crap as well as the next guy.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Well, maybe now is a good time for Kong to explain the new rating system he has adopted for his full-length reviews.

Kong had to start using the letter system, because the other reviewers at the site all used it too. Kong has always used a **** system, and just decided to make his own letter system since their doesn't seem to be a good precident for it.

Here is how it works.

A+ = Masterpiece
A = Great
B = Good
C = Fair
D = Bad
F = Absolutely Worthless

Kong will also add a "+" of "-" to a grade to illustrate wether or not he considered giving the film a higher or lower grade. For example, a "B+" would mean that the film is good, and that Kong thought about awarding it an "A" but didn't. A "C-" would mean that the film is fair, and that Kong considered giving it a "D" but didn't.

Kong actually comes about these ratings in a far less thoughtful or technical way than it might appear. Kong thinks that if you rate movies in too scientific of a manner then you're giving the rating too much importance. Ratings are just shorthand so they don't need to say very much.

Here is my new rating system, although I'm sure you guys have caught on:

for a good movie

for a bad movie

If I have any special feelings towards a film, I'll add them.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Jason, you can't talk. You give most everything a thumbs up, including the utter crap.

First of all, NO I do not like everything (a.k.a. - a thumbs up) .
You're pissing me off with you're friggin' assinine attitude. Here, and everywhere. If you don't like what you see, look the other way.

Originally Posted by Jason, you can't talk. You give most everything a thumbs up, including the [url=http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0234215
utter crap[/url].[/size].
Hey Lay off jrs, he wasn't the only one that made a comment, now be nice boys

Originally Posted by jrs
First of all, NO I do not like everything (a.k.a. - a thumbs up) .
You're pissing me off with you're friggin' assinine attitude. Here, and everywhere. If you don't like what you see, look the other way.
Whoa, take it easy. I'm not necessarily standing behind all Silver's saying, but I've also thought for some time that you seem to unusually enamored with the overwhelming majority of movies you watch.

Anyway, I think you might associate him with "A+++" reviews because those are the ones he puts in his signature. It doesn't mean he loves most of the movies he sees...just that he only puts them in his signature if he loves them.

I think this forum has got a little too heated, so I'll try and get it back on topic.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico - this movie was a lot of fun. Totally unrealistic and funny.

If you don't like what you see, look the other way.
No. That is terrible advice.
Not only in terms of the board, but in terms of living a life.

2001-(3rd time) "Good morning, Dave." Easily one of the best films ever.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico-(1st time) A very fun movie. Acting was good all around.

Gangs of New York-(2nd time) I LOVED this film the first time, and I still love it!

No. That is terrible advice.
Not only in terms of the board, but in terms of living a life. .
Want some advice, quit treating people like crap, otherwise, you can just stick you're head up you're a** for all I care.

Cabin Fever -
Whale Rider -

You didn't like Whale Rider? I thought it was great. Not as great as some of the critics would have you believe, but great none the less.

Salton Sea (2002)-Val Kilmer, Vincent D'onofrio

i thought it was really good

We're no longer called Sonic Death Monkey. We're on the verge of becoming Kathleen Turner Overdrive, but just for tonight, we are Barry Jive and his Uptown Five. -Jack Black (High Fidelity)

Want some advice, quit treating people like crap...
Disagreeing with someone isn't "treating them like crap".

Anyway, what I said is true.

If Britain and America decided that they would just "look the other way" when they saw things that they didn't like about Hitler and the Nazi party...well, what a fine state of affairs we'd be in now. What the world doesn't need is people turning blind eyes.

A novel adaptation.
Gray's Anatomy
"Backlighting. Extreme backlighting."
As far as feature length monologues go, this was done fairly well. Which is saying a lot, as I usually dislike the work of Steven Soderbergh.

Annie Hall
"Sex with you is a really Kafka-esque experience."
"Oh... Thanks."

What happened to Woody Allen? He had great movies after this, but all of his recent work just seems to be missing something.
I blame Soon Yi.

Comedian
"Watch Jerry Seinfeld swear! Only in theaters!"

Disagreeing with someone isn't "treating them like crap".
I didn't state it that way

If Britain and America decided that they would just "look the other way" when they saw things that they didn't like about Hitler and the Nazi party...well, what a fine state of affairs we'd be in now. What the world doesn't need is people turning blind eyes.
Yes. That is true.....There are certain things you can just not pay attention to - and therefore won't bother you.
Though, some things worth noticing and more important. (Like above.)

Originally Posted by Jrs
Want some advice, quit treating people like crap, otherwise, you can just stick you're head up you're a** for all I care.

I apologize .....

We ???

Matchstick Men-Very good plot. Very good acting. Very good movie.

I might pop out a review for this and Once Upon a Time in Mexico tomorrow.....then again....maybe not.....

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
Matchstick Men-Very good plot. Very good acting. Very good movie.
Hated, hated, hated the ending.

I loved it. I felt the "chance meeting" at the end was a little much, but I thought the ending was the perfect coda to the events that came before.

What did you hate about it?

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
I loved it. I felt the "chance meeting" at the end was a little much, but I thought the ending was the perfect coda to the events that came before.

What did you hate about it?
WARNING: "Matchstick Men" spoilers below
The whole twist of it all being one big con is fairly unplausable. It would require too many risks for Frank to take, but that isn't really the problem.

Kong didn't like it because it redefined everything that came before in a less interesting, and banal way. Kong really loved the characters and their relationships, and to make it all be one big con is just throwing all that away. Plus it's an incredibly cliched plot twist. Almost every heist or con movie of the last decade has used that "it was all one big con" twist. Kong really should have seen it coming, and he would've but the movie wasn't plot driven, so the Kong never really thought much about the plot. It was a character, and the twist evaporates the characters in favor of a plot that really isn't that interesting.

It's really hard to describe how much Kong hated the end. It felt like it ruined all of the things that Kong liked so much about the film. As soon as the twist became apparent Kong became furious. Kong honestly wanted to punch something. To take the time to make endearing, quirky, and sympathetic characters only rip them apart for a cheesy "gotcha" moment is lame in Kong's book.

A Fish Called Wanda
"He's had a hard life. Dad used to beat him up."
"Good."
1988 | Charles Crichton & John Cleese
A++

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
"I have to push the pram a lot."
1975 | Terry Jones & Terry Gilliam
A++

Amadeus
"Well, there it is."
1984 | Milos Forman
A+++

Before you all jump down my throat again, these are all films that I have purchased on DVD because I enjoy and love them. It's not like I'm just handing out high marks...