Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

9/10 - I was gripped from the first minute to the last. It's just so extremely realistic. Therefore it makes it rather terrifying. Superb filmmaking. Beautifully shot. Mikkelsen is amazing. Watch it.

Philomena
I thought this was a very good movie overall. Very emotional ride, I really felt her pain. I would definitely recommend.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Planet of the Apes
Did not expect to like this one as much as I did. It's a little bit campy,and parts of it are very dated. But it's so damn fun and entertaining though. It's a delicious slice of classic Sci-Fi. I can't even imagine how people must have felt seeing "the ending" for the first when it first came out in 1968. Definitely one of the great endings in cinema history.

I've never seen an Apes movie before which is probably why I enjoyed this one so much.
I recommend checking it out, it just seemed beyond its time when I watched it. Sort of like how Star Wars was.

Citizen of Werewolfville
The Consequence (Die Konsequenz, 1977)

Because I prefer rather small and quiet films, I was really surprised to find a name of Wolfgang Petersen in the credits of one of them. His pompous blockbusters are not really my cup of tea, but this forgotten drama about persecuted gay couple (played by Jürgen Prochnow and Ernst Hannawald) in the 1960s Germany was very impressive. It´s kind of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo´s Nest" type of story, effectively combined with romance, and it has so excellent black & white cinematography that is almost unbelievable it was originally developed only for German TV broadcast. 8/10

Moonstruck

I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies in general, but this is one of the best I've seen. Cher and Nic Cage are great as a mismatched couple, and there's other great performances and characters as well. Speaking of Cher, she was great in the 80's, with 5 really good films. She had a great combination of cool, toughness, and vulnerability that most actresses could only dream about. It's a shame she hasn't done more.

Night Shift

I saw this today for the first time in a long while and it was nice to revisit it. One of Ron Howard's early directorial features and, despite the dating of certain things (portable tape recorders, tinted car glass being new) it still works because it focuses on the characters more than their surroundings. Although the surroundings, a morgue which fronts for a prostitution business, could be a character.

Henry Winkler is great as the mild-mannered night shift boss at a New York morgue who is saddled with a new assistant, the brilliant Michael Keaton, who proceeds to turn Winkler's life upside down with his money-making ideas, primarily the brothel-based morgue. Shelley Long is pretty good in this also, and looked gorgeous back in the day. All three leads are great but Keaton steals the show. There are numerous familiar character actors in the film, including of course, Ron Howard's brother, Clint, in a tiny cameo. I'll need to add this one to my collection.

Blood simple.

I thought it was at least 10 or 15 years ahead of it's time. Some of the shots were brilliant (the camera on the bar that jumps over the slumped drunk, the shot of Frances McDormand that ends up in her bed, and the bullet holes in the wall). It clealry shows that the Cohens were mega-talented even way back then. Masters of the plot. There's a few similarities between this and No country for Old Men....... As in the noir and the dark, throwaway element of cheap death.

I would have love to have seen this in 1984. it would have blown my mind.

9/10

August: Osage County 7.4/10

Though nearly 40 minutes of Tracy Lett's Pulitzer Prize winning dramedy have been shaved for the screen version, "August: Osage County" still manages to deliver on the towering play's hearty laughs, gasp inducing shocks, and well earned tears.

Blood simple.

I thought it was at least 10 or 15 years ahead of it's time. Some of the shots were brilliant (the camera on the bar that jumps over the slumped drunk, the shot of Frances McDormand that ends up in her bed, and the bullet holes in the wall). It clealry shows that the Cohens were mega-talented even way back then. Masters of the plot. There's a few similarities between this and No country for Old Men....... As in the noir and the dark, throwaway element of cheap death.

I would have love to have seen this in 1984. it would have blown my mind.

9/10
Just checked, and in 1984, Karate Kid, Splash and Beverly Hills Cop were all up for Oscars of some description.

What a joke.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Moonstruck

I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies in general, but this is one of the best I've seen. Cher and Nic Cage are great as a mismatched couple, and there's other great performances and characters as well. Speaking of Cher, she was great in the 80's, with 5 really good films. She had a great combination of cool, toughness, and vulnerability that most actresses could only dream about. It's a shame she hasn't done more.
I couldn't agree more. I wish Cher would get a good role now. I love her and she's put out some great performances. I'd say that this is arguably her best.

Just checked, and in 1984, Karate Kid, Splash and Beverly Hills Cop were all up for Oscars of some description.

What a joke.
You have to remember just how different the landscape was back then. There wasn't an independent American movie scene as we'd recognise it today. Hell, I don't think Sundance staredt until 1984. Of course, by the early noughties Sundance had been taken over by the corporates, too, and most of the films that get recognition there now are from the "Indie" arm of the big boys.

August: Osage County 7.4/10

Though nearly 40 minutes of Tracy Lett's Pulitzer Prize winning dramedy have been shaved for the screen version, "August: Osage County" still manages to deliver on the towering play's hearty laughs, gasp inducing shocks, and well earned tears.
What movie were you watching? The only thing my copy induced were yawns

Finished here. It's been fun.
Barry Lyndon

+

As expected this is a great,great film. Stunningly beautiful and epic.