Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Glad you really enjoyed it! I was really taken in by the ambiguity surrounding everything which was going on. The questions left open really linger with you. I also think it accurately portrays the ways an apocalypse could alter someone's personality and cause personal conflicts to radically shift in an instant once other threats are introduced.
Your take on the ending?

WARNING: spoilers below
I like the idea that Zac is in Purgatory. He took part in a pretty grave sin - destroying human civilization - and he redeemed himself by sacrificing his life to destroy the cause of it. It's not a sacrifice that got him into heaven, but it sent him to the next best place.

Your take on the ending?

I like tbe idea that Zac's in Purgatory. He took part in a pretty grave sin - destroying human civilization - and he redeemed himself by sacrificing his life to destroy the cause of it. It's not a sacrifice that got him into heaven, but it sent him to the next best place.
That's an interesting take.

From what I remember, the second effect was triggered right as the explosives went off, so since it was already established that the three characters were spared from the first effect since they were going to die anyways just as it happened, another interpretation is that the other two characters were killed and that Zac was spared. Whether the plan to stop the calamity (in this case, a future third effect) worked is unclear, but what's important is that the logistics of Earth were permanently altered.

Gone baby gone (2007)

Good film with interesting questions about nature or nurture. Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan do a fine job as the private detectives asked to find a missing child. The offshoots of the story actually bolster the main plot. It's great direction from Ben Affleck as you can see the human toll but also the WGAF in a situation depicted.

Firebrand

I knew next to nothing about Catherine Parr before watching Firebrand - and the movie has done nothing but stroke my curiosity in the most intense way imaginable.

Some folks have dismissed the movie as historical speculation. It appears to be true that there is no documentation that could prove or disprove some of the things depicted in the movie, but that doesn't make it any less thrilling.

To be perfectly blunt, I don't know that everything we're shown in the movie actually happened, but I also don't have any reason to think that it mightn't have happened.

Alicia Vikander is terrific (in a very subdued way) as Parr, and Jude Law is positively staggering as King Henry VIII. In all fairness, it should be pointed out that there's at least a couple of shots of certain parts of the king's anatomy that some people might find kind of gross - and that's kind of the point.

At this point in his life, Henry VIII was a positively disgusting and paranoid man, consumed by his conflicts with the church and obsessed about his successors.

Firebrand is the English-language directing debut of Brazilian director Karim Aïnouz and it's based on the novel Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle. (The movie isn't called Queen's Gambit to avoid confusion with the Netflix series).

If you want an absolutely fantastic movie about what may have happened during the waning days of Henry VIII's reign, this movie is absolutely right for you. If you want to know more about what the historical record says may have actually happened, then check out this guide.

The fabulous cast also includes Eddie Marsan as Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset, Junia Rees as Princess Elizabeth (the future Queen Elizabeth I), and Simon Russell Beale as the Bishop of Winchester.

I forgot the opening line.

By May be found at the following website: http://www.impawards.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8005206

Philadelphia - (1993)

1993 was a pretty good year for mainstream cinema, and this heavyweight had great impact - watching it last night I felt that it was better than I remembered it being. Tom Hanks had moved away from comedy somewhat with the likes of Sleepless in Seattle and the disaster that was Bonfire of the Vanities, but it was with this that he became a full-fledged, respected and acknowledged dramatic actor. For his role as Andrew Beckett he won his first Oscar. It surprised me somewhat to see the name "Ann Dowd" in the opening credits. I wondered if I'd recognize her, and I did as Andrew's sister - she was slimmer and had blonde hair, but her face is immediately recognizable. As far as attitudes to gay people and AIDS at the time go, this came at the crux of a change in values for society. I remember growing up in the 70s and 80s, when it was pretty much okay to be openly hostile to gay people - especially in Australia. Any term for homosexuality was considered a terrible insult. We've come along away, and for anyone who has had a family member die of AIDS (even a cousin), this epidemic has left a lasting, tragic impression. Marvelous movie from Jonathan Demme.

8/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2022/poster...minal_xxlg.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71241976

Emily the Criminal - (2022)

This has a great screenplay and is paced with precision - a film about one person's gift for criminality, and how debt mixed with economic reality can be a trigger to unleash it. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

7/10

By http://www.movieposterdb.com/e0f59e2a, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19614505

Elmer Gantry - (1960)

Directed at evangelists, this doesn't pack as much of a wallop as it did back in it's day, but it's a worthy watch to see Burt Lancaster tear up the screen as the titular con-man and rascal. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

7/10

Latest Review : Aftersun (2022)

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it