Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Anonymous~ I don't think you're supposed to give advice that you would never take.
Anonboy gives advice

Arresting your development
Excellent advice, thank you.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
There are a few problems with the film, namely that the musical direction is sadly American Idoled up toward the beginning, undermining the talents of the leads. They shine in later songs, but at the start they pay the price for the slight dumbing down of the music. The other problem is the crowd scenes, which lacked energy and focus.
pto

Aside from those problems, this film has much to be praised. The cast is excellent. Minnie Driver practically steals the show as Carlotta and Miranda Richardson lends exactly the right mystery to the ballet mistress. Emmy Rossum is introduced as Christine and Gerard Butler as the Phantom - both are clearly capable of excellent performances, but both suffer early on from poor musical direction. Both have shining moments later in the film, however. Patrick Wilson is well-sung as Raoul.

The photography (excluding the crowd scenes) offers some very cool effects, particularly the very grainy black and white of the "present day" auction scenes. One of the best touches in this film is the makeup. Both the deformation of the Phantom and the age makeups on Richardson and Wilson are excellent.

Overall, this is fun to look at, nice to hear. The story is well-told. It's not spectacular though, and it should have been.

You ready? You look ready.
Hey nice work.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I'm looking forward to a review of The Life Aquatic if you get around to it.

Not that I'm trying to pressure you or anything

MovieForums Extra
Thanks for the review. This movie was on my "probably" list. Now its on my "maybe" list of movies. I trust your judgement.

Time flies when you're watching these people have fun.
bs
1995 saw the release of complete sleeper Before Sunrise, in which Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy) meet on a train and spend a night together, walking around Paris and talking. They agree to meet again at the same place, in 6 months. Before Sunset finds the same characters, nine years later, as they are finally reunited.

The thing that makes this pair of movies wonderful is that these characters truly get each other, thoroughly enjoy talking with each other and take full advantage of the perfect setting for falling in love... and we're along for the ride. The scenery is gorgeous - as you'd expect of Paris. The acting is flawless. Both of these actors have matured and so have their characters. Both actors had input into Richard Linkletter's script, and the result feels true to the relationship that's been established. In so doing, they recapture the charming chemistry that made their first meeting so wonderful, and pull us in again.

Originally Posted by nebbit
Thanks for the review Sammy, I must see this, it only stayed a week out the cinema here when it came out.
It wasn't here long, either. I just got it from Netflix. Thank god for them!

Nice reviews Sammy D… I've been curious about Phantom and will probably make an effort to see it now…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Hey, Caity~ thanks for reading. I think it's worth seeing, just not spectacular. It's bound to get some Oscar attention, for costumes, makeup and music. The story is really sweet, though.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
It wasn't here long, either. I just got it from Netflix. Thank god for them!
How is Netflix? I've been tossing around the idea of subscribing to one of those online rental services for a while now.

Originally Posted by Garrett
How is Netflix? I've been tossing around the idea of subscribing to one of those online rental services for a while now.
I seriously love it. I was renting 3-4 movies a weekend at Blockbuster, usually failing to return them on time, and paying around $100 a month for my movie habit. With Netflix, I usually have a new batch of movies every weekend, and it only costs me $20/month. They also let you make a queue of movies, so you don't have to try to remember the titles of things you mean to see.

I hate to imagine how much I must spend renting movies from month to month. I imagine it's well over $100. I just might have to try Netflix.

Nice reviews. I saw Phantom of the Opera new years eve. Thankfully I didn't expect much, but I still left the theater whilst Butler sang 'Music of the night', couldn't let a sub-par performance (in my hears) ruin my favorite broadway song.

Originally Posted by SammyDelight
It's not spectacular though, and it should have been.
Totally agree. Props to you for your great reviews.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"