The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I agree. The Searchers is a majestic and determined film. Wayne pulled out all the stops for his performance, and I think he could only have done that in a Ford western.

Although it's one of the finest westerns ever made, it did not make my best 25 films list.
The Searchers nearly made my top 25, but I just had too many solidly great films and something had to be cut, sorry Duke.

About the last reveals. I've seen The Searchers a long time ago. I don't remember much, but I have a feeling that I didn't like it that much. Maybe I should give it another try.

Ikiru is one of the Kurosawa's I haven't seen (I've mostly seen his samurai films and High and Low that was nominated in an HoF). It doesn't look like a film I'd expect to love, but who knows.

Seen 4/6
My list this far:
13: The Seventh Seal (1957) [honorable mention]
25: Poison of the Fairies (1984) [1-pointer]

the searchers is a great film and was very high on my westerns list, but i didn’t include it on this one. it would probably fit comfortably somewhere in my top 200. never seen ikiru but i intend to. kurosawa is a major blindspot for me; i’ve only seen yojimbo and rashomon.
criticker

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched several John Wayne movies for the Westerns countdown, including The Searchers. It was one of my least favorite of his movies, mainly because it was just too violent for my taste.

I watched Ikiru for a HoF a while back. If I remember correctly, it took a while for me to warm up to the movie, but I liked it more and more as the movie progressed, and in the end, I ended up liking the movie, but not enough for it to make my list.

Good question. I have breakdowns of stuff like this, but I'm not sure how much of it I can/should reveal until the list is over, since it'll give a few things away...

No matter how much some people might pester you, please don't reveal too much before the countdown is over. The element of surprises, both good and bad, is one of the things that I love about these countdowns. It's less fun when they become too easy to predict what's coming up.

Don't worry, nobody's really pestering me much. Mostly just wondering aloud, since there might be some points where I can reveal stuff early without giving too much away. But I'll definitely err on the side of waiting when there's any doubt. Gonna be a lot of great aggregate stats once the list is completely done.

I have a question. How many Kurosawa films are we expecting now?

I figured Samurai to be pretty high. I thought if a second Kurosawa made it, it would be Rashamon. Fully expect Rashamon now. So I figure 3. More? Less? I am overrating how this forum feels about Rashamon?
Yojimbo ?

Okay, rough index up, I'll see about pretty-ifying it a bit more later, but it should do for now.

Tomorrow's hint:

The 10 commandments ?

Okay, rough index up, I'll see about pretty-ifying it a bit more later, but it should do for now.

Tomorrow's hint:

The image of the sky in this picture made me think of either Take Shelter or Twister.

The words in the picture made me think of a hostage movie, maybe something like Die Hard or Dog Day Afternoon.

But maybe I'm just reading too much into the clue.

Maybe even an LOTR movie ? 2 Towers ?

What if all 3 LOTR movies made it... Fellowship in the 90s, 2 towers in the 60s and Return in the 40s...

Been meaning to watch Cabaret for years. Finally got around to it today. I admire the sinister undercurrent and how the rising tide of Nazism was rarely ever the focus. The increasing number of swastikas in the background was like a rapidly spreading bacteria bleeding into the lives of the characters. I loved the musical numbers, but admittedly found my interest waning during scenes outside the Kit Kat Klub. Liza Minnelli was great (and I shockingly found myself somewhat attracted to her despite her bizarre features and terrible hairdo), but I've always found Michael York an incredibly bland screen presence (he's like a fifth-rate James Mason), and his performance here did nothing to change my opinion. I was indifferent to their relationship, and I wish that the stodgy handling of relationships had borrowed some of the eroticism from the cabaret performances. Despite sexuality being one of the primary themes, the movie is very un-sexy. I guess I was expecting the movie to feel much more risqué after some of the things I've read about it.

Enter the Dragon is the only good movie Bruce Lee made. I don't know if that's a controversial opinion or not, but typically the connective tissues between his jaw-dropping fight scenes are extremely lacking. Enter the Dragon is the only Bruce Lee movie with a compelling, entertaining plot. (I think I saw someone on here -- perhaps @honeykid -- once describe it as a "kung-fu James Bond movie," which is an apt description.) Still not a huge fan of it, although nobody can deny Lee's charisma and physical skills. If it was up to me, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin would be the countdown's martial-arts representative.

I was initially underwhelmed with The Searchers, but now consider it one of the best westerns ever made and Ford's greatest achievement (not that I've seen anywhere close to all his films). Majestic Technicolor visual splendor, with possibly the Duke's most complex character. I see too many people nowadays lobbying the term "racist" at the film, even though the film's handling of racial themes is more nuanced and complex than any other western I can think of from the time period. I've even come to love the film's comedic aspects, which used to elicit major eye rolls.

If I'd tried to take an objective approach and only voted for the feats of filmmaking I find most impressive, Kurosawa would've had multiple entries on my list. Instead he had none, yet he's my choice for greatest director of all-time, and on average I've probably rated his films higher than any other filmmaker. Of the sixteen Kurosawa films I've seen, Ikiru would rank near the bottom. I thought the first two-thirds were beautiful, but the last act for me dragged hard as it felt like I was being bludgeoned over the head with the movie's message. Takashi Shimura was excellent, however. I think he's perennially underrated as Mifune always steals the spotlight. Hopefully this is one of several Kurosawa films to make the countdown.

Maybe even an LOTR movie ? 2 Towers ?

What if all 3 LOTR movies made it... Fellowship in the 90s, 2 towers in the 60s and Return in the 40s...
LOTR will more than likely make the list.
Where in the list though I can't say.

Certainly top 50 for all 3.

The movies' technical achievement alone should be enough to place them.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
LOTR will more than likely make the list.
Where in the list though I can't say.

Certainly top 50 for all 3.

The movies' technical achievement alone should be enough to place them.
I'm not so sure all 3 will make it. Definitely Fellowship.

Hint guesses:

12 Years a Slave (could make it a lot further, dunno)
The Robe

Probably wrong as heck on both, but it's worth a shot!

• 73 points
  • 4 lists
94. Her

Director

Spike Jonze, 2013

Starring

Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams, Rooney Mara

• 73 points
  • 4 lists
93. Braveheart

Director

Mel Gibson, 1995