The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'd never heard of I was Born, But, so didn't make the list. I knew about The Music Box but hadn't seen it, but thanks to hashtag, I watched it and loved it! I know L&H are not to everyone's taste, but I find them hilarious. And I never get sick of Hardy breaking the 4th wall and looking right at us as if to say, "Can you believe this guy?" The Music Box didn't make my list but it's great stuff!

Just revisited The Music Box and gave Porky In Wackyland a spin (also probably a revisit as I saw most of the Looney Tunes as a kid) - both are very good and whilst I may exclude shorts myself both fully deserve a place on this countdown.

Seen: 15/26 (every little helps)

Unregistered User
I haven’t seen a single one so far....

But anyways, I’m kinda sad I missed out on this. These big decade lists were some of my favorites to participate in.

Shame you missed it MM. I think I've only seen 2, although I do think most will show at some stage.

i had top hat at #22. my second favorite astaire/rogers musical, hopefully the other one shows up as well
criticker

I love Top Hat, but didn't include it on my list, way too many movies and some had to be cut Haven't seen City Girl, but it looks likeable, so one of these days I'll check it out.

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
74. Babes In Toyland
73. Top Hat
Oh crap-a-doodle - got one right

Watched both in preparation for this. Liked City Girl but didn't love it and Top Hat is excellent in terms of song and dance but sadly the humour didn't work that well for me. Consequently neither made my list.

Seen: 17/28 (respectable)
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
72. The Light That Failed
71. If I Were King

City Girl was my #20. One of Murnau's best.

My List
#15. Love Me Tonight (Rouben Mamoulian)
#20. City Girl (F.W. Murnau)
#22. A Day in the Country (Jean Renoir)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Oh crap-a-doodle - got one right
your reputation has now been thoroughly tarnished.

Please proceed down the hall of shame.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not heard of City Girl but will be looking into it and, as previously stated, wanted very much to see Top Hat - hell, I just to need to see this film, period.

On a side note, I did pick up La Bete Humaine today from my library. Sadly, they did not have Le Croix de Bois so I'll continue to search for that one.

Watched 15/28 (53.6%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Please proceed down the hall of shame.

I'll get there as soon as I can, currently still trying to navigate the masses on the corridor of underachievement

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Neither from my list. City Girl was Murnau's follow-up to Sunrise and is now considered to have inspired Malick's Days of Heaven. It has tender romance and visual splendor, as this clip will attest, but I feel it also doesn't handle the extreme melodrama as well as his earlier film

Top Hat is another Astaire/Rogers classic with a typical mistaken identity plot and a top Irving Berlin score. Erik Rhodes is a hoot as Beddini. This clip has Ginger in her self-designed feather dress.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
City Girl =

6th on my list!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Thankfully someone nominated City Girl for the last movie tournament because otherwise it wasn't on my radar. I had it at #19.

I enjoyed Top Hat too but didn't vote for it.

You'd think as much as I love Astaire/Rogers that I would have included at least one of their movies on the list but there are so many I just had to include that my favorite dancing duo didn't make the cut. City Girl I have not seen. I've only seen one Murnau, and that's the popular Nosferatu. But I should delve into Murnau's oeuvre in the future.