MOFO 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

pepperoni pizza is hear. THings just keeeeeeeeeeeep improving

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Michelle Pfieffer is hot in this It's easy to see how she became a big star after Grease 2 which was her first starring role. After that she was cast in Scarface and the rest is the stuff of legend.
The very first time I saw her was in Hollywood Knights from 1980. Set in the 60's with muscle cars and all kinds of pranks where she played a roller skating car hop (waitress at a drive-in diner). Talk about HOT. And with the movies that followed she showed what an incredible actress she is and I've been a fan ever since.

The very first time I saw her was in Hollywood Knights from 1980. Set in the 60's with muscle cars and all kinds of pranks where she played a roller skating car hop (waitress at a drive-in diner). Talk about HOT. And with the movies that followed she showed what an incredible actress she is and I've been a fan ever since.
I ran into Hollywood Knights when I was researching 80s teen movies. I though about nominating it. I've not seen it, but yeah cars, chicks sounds great! I'm going to go look of that movie right now. Back in abit....

The Hollywood Knights added to my Netflix queue.
You should get a kick out of it. It does have a National Lampoon feel to it and some great cars.
Hell, I should do a rewatch of that myself.

You should get a kick out of it. It does have a National Lampoon feel to it and some great cars.
Hell, I should do a rewatch of that myself.
I was just lamenting over my old muscle car...ah, those were the days.

Update: almost done with Say Anything, nice film

will have a write up tonight if I am up to it but strong possibility it will come tomorrow

Update: almost done with Say Anything, nice film

will have a write up tonight if I am up to it but strong possibility it will come tomorrow
looking forward to your review. This is one of so very many I'm really looking forward to.

I was just lamenting over my old muscle car...ah, those were the days.
The closest I got to a muscle car was an '82 Malibu SS back in the late 90s when I lived on the east side of Detroit. It lasted about 2 weeks before it was stolen.
When I was a teen I drove around in a 76 Pontiac Station Wagon. The size of an air craft carrier. A blue behemoth that fit a twin mattress in the back making it ideal for nights at the drive in. It would fit upwards of 10 of us.
I would have gotten something nicer but my older brother was given a Javelin and the d@mn fool totaled it. So, me and my younger brother got the old family car when my dad got a newer one.

Who knows, maybe in my old age I'll get one. Like a Charger or a Challenger. Would love one of them, just for the loudness of them.

I am pulling for @Citizen Rules 's movie. And @TheUsualSuspect 's "Teen Wolf" (1985), which I re-watched earlier this year.

Been pretty busy working nights, if I played wonder what I'd have nominated!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I also considered nominating The Sure Thing, The Flamingo Kid, The Last American Virgin, and Little Darlings.

So glad f**kin Ferris wasn't nominated.

I also considered nominating The Flamingo Kid and Little Darlings, but I decided to go with My Bodyguard instead.

Better off Dead was my first pick but it was taken. It was a coin toss between Dream a Little Dream or Crossroads.

You made a great choice. I love Crossroads. It's a very underrated movie, and I don't think most people have even heard of it.

Most are comedies or happy go lucky time of nominations and not depressing but I seen one I wanted to nominate that was very depressive but it was a rare gem.. that I have never seen..

David is a high school student who seems to have the world on a string. One night while partying with his friends on a big bluff on the outskirts of town, David falls to his death. Everyone assumes it is an accident until a few days later, when David’s friend, Chris receives David’s suicide note in the mail. The suicide devastates David’s friends, family, school, and community. The rest of the film chronicles their grief and their inability to understand why David killed himself.
I might just watch it because its sounds like a great film even though its depressing.

That movie is called Permanent Record. It stars Keanu Reeves, and it's a great movie. It was #7 on my list for the Directed By Women Countdown.

I wanted to nominate Permanent Record for this HoF, but it's a very hard movie to find, and I didn't want anyone to have a problem finding my nom.

Nominations:

Akira (1988) - I think I watched this once for one of the tournaments here, but I don't remember much about it, except I don't think it held my interest. Hopefully I'll have a better experience with it this time.

Can't Buy Me Love (1987) - I know that I've seen this, but I always get it confused with the movie Loverboy, (the movie about the pizza delivery boy). I'm looking forward to rewatching it.

Once Bitten (1985) - I haven't seen this, but it sounds like a fun movie that's not too much on the horror side.

Better Off Dead (1985) - I've seen this several times, and I always enjoy rewatching it.

Say Anything (1989) - I think I saw this a long time ago, but the only thing I remember about it is that it stars John Cusack. I like him, so I'm looking forward to rewatching it. (The DVD has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years, so it's about time that I watched it. )

Teen Wolf (1985) - I saw this a long time ago, and I remember it being a fun movie. Michael J. Fox is always fun to watch in his teen movies, so this is another movie that I'm looking forward to rewatching.

Lucas (1986) - This is another movie that I always confuse with a different teen movie. I thought it was the movie Rudy, but that's a different teen movie. I'm not sure if I've seen this movie or not, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Stand By Me (1986) - This is a great movie that I've seen many times. It's always a good movie to rewatch.

Heaven Help Us (1985) - If this is the movie I think it is, then I think I saw it a long time ago. (If I'm right, it stars Matt Dillon's brother, Kevin.) I don't remember much about it, so I'm looking forward to watching it.

Crossroads (1986) - I love this movie. I hope it does well in this HoF because it deserves the recognition.

Three O'Clock High (1987) - I haven't seen this movie, but it's already on my watchlist, so I'm looking forward to finally watching it. (I think Gideon recommended it a while back.)

My Bodyguard (1980) - My nomination, so I hope everyone likes it as much as I do.

Grease 2 (1982) - I've seen this movie a few times. It's not a favorite of mine, but I can see how other people might enjoy it. It has some catchy tunes.

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about the ages of the kids in the movie Stand By Me. They are young, but IMO this is definitely considered a "teen movie".

River Phoenix was what, sixteen when Stand by Me came out?

They don't look like teenagers...

But these people look like teenagers?

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about the ages of the kids in the movie Stand By Me. They are young, but IMO this is definitely considered a "teen movie".
They're probably complaining because the kids in Stand by Me were barely old enough to qualify as teenagers, and their characters weren't portrayed as teenagers. But I haven't heard the complaints since I haven't been following the conversation in the thread that much, so I can only speculate. I disagree about it "definitely" being considered a teen movie, but that's your opinion as you said, and you're entitled to it.

But these people look like teenagers?

I have no idea why you're asking me this. Those adults obviously don't look like teenagers, and the way you worded that made it sound like you thought I think they do.

The link I gave for Akira to crickets and Joel kinda sucks. Seems kissanime has went to **** with annoying ads. The film should still work but I am going to look for a more less pop uppy site.

edit: gogoanime seems to be a slightly better site

Say Anything

Say Anything possesses a certain aura of sensibility that one may not expect from a romantic comedy from the 80’s. It relies on pure feelings and the joy of feeling fulfilled by the support of another person and hopelessness when it all falls apart. Cusack plays Lloyd Dobler and Ion Skye plays Diane. Lloyd is a man who doesn't quite know what he wants to do but is quite certain about what he doesn't want to do, best shown when he expresses this sentiment, “I don't want to buy anything, sell anything, or process anything as a career.'' . Diane is the complete contrast as the Valedictorian who has put her academics and career goals above most other things in her life. After working up his courage he nervously asks her out and after some persuasion she says yes. Obviously this is unknown territory for both parties and the unique circumstances lead to the date being treated as infinitely puzzling by the people around them. Diane when asked why she came with Llyod responds “He made me laugh”

The date progresses and Diane seems to be enjoying herself, obviously happy at the way Llyod sweetly and casually checks in on her to make sure she is enjoying herself. This whole sequence really demonstrates how Llyod makes Diane feel safe and how he is a gentleman in many ways. So after the date goes well they decide to go on another which progresses into many more. The rest of the film greatly conveys themes of guilt,love, and honesty. I would say more but I don't want to give anything away.

I really wish I was a better writer so I could convey what this film expresses and just how well it executes on its themes.