B-Movie HoF II: The Sequel!

Tools    

Been trying to get JACK FROST, but the damn streaming site keep taking me to the Keaton one.
I had to torrent Jack Frost. Actually had to do it twice because the first one I took ended up being some 50 minute animation

Doesn't dubbing mean re-recording dialogue afterwards regardless of the language?
Typically when the original actor in the scene records replacement dialogue it's referred to as ADR, and dubbing is used for dialogue being replaced by a different actor, which is usually in another language but doesn't have to be.

Typically when the original actor in the scene records replacement dialogue it's referred to as ADR, and dubbing is used for dialogue being replaced by a different actor, which is usually in another language but doesn't have to be.
Okay. I actually tried to Google that at some point because I've always associated dubbing with changing the dialogue language afterwards. Didn't really know what to search for though and all Finnish terms I tried were translated to dubbing according the internet. Never heard of ADR before this thread so I've learned something new today

I watched Jack Frost earlier today. Will try to make some sort of a review at some point but before that you can just read my Night of the Creeps review and assume everything is much worse. To whoever nominated it, sorry, but I hated the film

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
ADR sucks. The actor has to try and sync up the dialogue and emotion. Whereas dubbing, they're just doing their own thing in their own language.

ADR takes me out of the movie every time because it's always so obvious to me.

Suspect's Reviews

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I feel quite dumb, I've also never heard of ADR until it was mentioned here I thought dubbing was for translating into other languages and just for re-recording sound, since I know films like Suspiria recorded dialogue in post production. How illuminating

I agree though, it isn't very discreet

ADR sucks. The actor has to try and sync up the dialogue and emotion. Whereas dubbing, they're just doing their own thing in their own language.

ADR takes me out of the movie every time because it's always so obvious to me.
I've been under the impression that ADR is used a lot, especially in Hollywood where bigger budgets allow extra work. It's just done quite a bit better than in The Child

I had to torrent Jack Frost. Actually had to do it twice because the first one I took ended up being some 50 minute animation
Yup you got the Rankin Bass version...they are the production company that made Rudolph the red nosed reindeer...

There are 3 different versions...the animated, the family movie and the horror one....

First film for this HoF that I haven't seen before. Considering the plot I wasn't expecting much...

Maybe some minor spoilers but nothing too serious.

Jack Frost (1997)

A serial killer Jack Frost is being transferred for execution. There's an accident on the road and he's exposed to some experimental acid that fuses his DNA and soul to snow. As a snowman he seeks vengeance on a nearby small town's sheriff who originally arrested him.

STOP! Stop making movies like this.

I don't know what to say. If I start with the positives the first thing that comes to mind is that I certainly can appreciate Night of the Creeps more after this. Jack Frost is far worse example of a bad B-movie that throws all ambition out of the window and waves all critique aside with the ultimate defense of "we're just joking".

Technical aspects aren't that important in films like this but just for the record they're terrible: acting reminds me of some high school plays, script lacks wit completely, only a handful of shots look half decent and there's a special prize for the worst fake snow I remember seeing in movies. Someone should have told these people that funny and stupid idea doesn't automatically translate to funnily stupid film.

I'm being harsh here but the film deserves it. I just don't like it when artists (in this case the term might be bit of a stretch) don't take their art seriously. Jack Frost feels like it's been done because there was nothing better to do.

Apologies to the person who nominated this. It's nothing personal. I just tend to write very negative reviews for films I don't like.

The Beast Must Die

"B-Movie" rating

The thing about this movie is that it is a good concept with mediocre execution. This might be the only film in the whole lot that takes itself seriously. So it feels a little different than the other entries. A mixture of Ten Little Indians and Most Dangerous Game.

I liked the audience inclusion with this, it felt different. You are the detective and must look for clues to find out who is the werewolf. A snickered at the counter at the end waiting for you to make your choice.

Good bit of mystery as to who is the werewolf and the possibility of contracting the "virus" makes for more than one suspect believable. A logical conclusion to the events that happened.

The opening played out a little too long and I felt like the film needed to be a bit more exciting, but it's an interesting effort put forth. I wouldn't mind seeing this remade today.

I feel quite dumb, I've also never heard of ADR until it was mentioned here I thought dubbing was for translating into other languages and just for re-recording sound, since I know films like Suspiria recorded dialogue in post production. How illuminating

Me and you both...I never heard of ADR before, I always heard it called looping, I like that term better I'm pretty sure must people think of translating a movie into a different language as dubbing.

Before I went to film school I would always pick up on ADR scenes. They are very distracting. Also known as Looping.

Pay attention to DiCaprio here, something seems off with the speech and his lips.

Sometimes it is used to 'censor' parts of the film.

I noticed a few in Sceam. Courtney Cox screams for Kenny while his dead body is on the van windshield, but her mouth isn't even moving. Same for Campbell when she scream Dewey on the porch. Can't find clips for those, but those are burned into my memory.

They've been doing looping since the first sound films. Way back in the mid 20th Century, they couldn't mix looped dialogue as well as today and so the acoustics would be jarringly horrible. I haven't noticed it as much in newer films.

They've been doing looping since the first sound films. Way back in the mid 20th Century, they couldn't mix looped dialogue as well as today and so the acoustics would be jarringly horrible. I haven't noticed it as much in newer films.
It's the most noticeable to me when it is one actor being done in the scene. The room tone is different since they're doing it in the recording booth.

It's the most noticeable to me when it is one actor being done in the scene. The room tone is different since they're doing it in the recording booth.
Yeah the room tone, exactly, that bugs me too when it's off.

So how do we determine the winner...the crappiest film or one we actually enjoyed?

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!
Been trying to get JACK FROST, but the damn streaming site keep taking me to the Keaton one.

We're quite lucky over here in britain because a reselling shop "CEX" has copies going for about 50p a pop...they're on cheap crap discs and odds are they wont play...but for less than 40 cents I cant complain....

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!
So how do we determine the winner...the crappiest film or one we actually enjoyed?

Im pretty much going for the film I enjoyed the most I feel...though being an admirer of terrible cinema "The Crappiest" and "The one I actually enjoyed" tend to be one in the same xD...

I never heard of ADR before, I always heard it called looping, I like that term better
I've actually never heard of the term looping, only ADR.

Though I used to think it stood for "Additional Dialogue Recording" but a little while ago I finally I learned that it's "Automated Dialogue Replacement".

Before I went to film school I would always pick up on ADR scenes. They are very distracting.
I've always noticed it as well. Slight issues with audio syncing really bothers me as well. If I'm watching something and it's even just 50ms out of sync, I can't stop thinking about it haha.