1930s Hall of Fame

Tools    

Definitely one you don't see in films. And yes, very hard to watch, but definitely one TO watch.
I'm doing a double feature, as it were, for sad films with Entre Nos right now.
Enjoy! I really liked Entre Nos, simplistic yet effective story telling. My type of movie.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Enjoy! I really liked Entre Nos, simplistic yet effective story telling. My type of movie.
That's an excellent description of the story telling.

Yeah I don't know how to feel about Gunga Din. This is one of those films where blackface really played a prominent role. While the idea of doing a escapade about a group of British officers tracking down Bombay strangers is really fascinating in theory, the execution I found to be a bit lacking.

It wasn't all bad though, I really liked seeing Cary Grant play against type as the young cock sure officer without the slyness and guile he woud play in the 40's and 50's.

The set pieces were also fairly impressive for the time, it didn't look as good as Pepe or some other films from this era but it did look very good. Their is something to be said with using a cast of hundreds of extras that's missing from modern films.

But my big problem with the film was how underwritten and underutilized the titular character was. While have gotten past characters in brown face(I almost nominated The Good Earth) not developing the character was inexcusable in my eyes and undercut the final scenes.

Definitely
coming here from pahaK.

Calling it now.

This phone thing is just a ruse to throw everyone off...

Make Way For Tomorrow (1937) N

I had no idea what this was going to be but somehow by quickly skimming some of the HoF reviews I got the impression that it would be a heavy drama

"Can I have 90 minutes of my life back, please?"

During the great depression an old couple loses their house. Of course they don't react in any way during the six month term of notice but inform their children few days before the actual eviction. Then they move to live with the children but, alas, each to different one. From there begins one of the most tedious movie experiences I've forced myself through.

There's absolutely nothing happening in the whole film. The mother is nosing around in the family she's staying with and I think they were rightfully pissed. Father is a bit more pleasant guest (except he's acting like a 5-year-old at times) but the daughter he's living with is total ass. I don't care about any of these people and their problems don't look that great considering the time.

I'm not sure if the film was trying to promote better relationships with the family elders. For me it mostly managed to show why I'd go mad if I had to live with my mother at this age. People need their privacy and while I agree that people should take care of their aging parents having them live with you and run your home isn't a working solution (at least it isn't for the most).

Only tears the film was close to jerking were the ones of boredom.

Bride of Frankenstein is perhaps one of the earliest uses of postmodern film-making. This is both a continuation of The Frankenstein film yet it's also given the framing technique of introducing Mary Shelley into the story. It's a little weird but it's also very cool.

Boris Karloff(billed only as Karloff!) spends the majority of the film on the run. His escapades are captured with these glorious set pieces that provides the film with a strange anachronistic quality to it. Henry Frankenstein, has survived his encounter with the monster is now being brought back to health with his wife Elizabeth when Doctor Pretorius comes in. Pretorius is a different sort of crazy from Henry. Henry's character has changed dramatically from the first film to sort of retrofit him as a protagonist. Pretrorius is a more calculating villain but it's just a different side of the ego driven coin which Shelly was going for.

But ultimately this is Jame's Whale film, he's more focused on creating incredible imagery and practically every shot in this film is so dense. You almost want to pause and just marvel at all the details that Whale inserts into each shot. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to retrofit the film as a silent one because the dialogue and acting are vastly inferior to the visual storytelling in the film.

Make Way for Tomorrow

I already had this on my watchlist due to it's inclusion on Ebert's great movies list. I was looking forward to it and it did not disappoint. The story is as simple as can be yet so effective. I do sympathize with the dilemma the children face as it's a tricky situation. It's something many of us will encounter in some form. The children are not made out to be rotten, nor should they be. Still, it's the parents who deserve and get most of our sympathy. It's not sugar coated or made out to be more than it is. It's a very effective movie that makes the viewer reflect on their own life.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Make Way For Tomorrow
I certainly didn't love it and thought it's perfectible, but this was one of Yasujiro Ozu's favourites, and you can certainly see that Tokyo Story is basically a remake of this film! Not that this should influence anybody's rating of it. Just pointing it out. Oh, and director's The Awful Truth from the same year is a superior film in my opinion.

All things considered, I think a 0.5 star rating is too harsh. I strongly disliked this guy's An Affair to Remember, but still gave it a 2. I think a half star rating should be reserved for really abominable films that insult cinema as an art form, or something. "It was boring" is amongst the weakest and laziest forms of criticism ever. "The protagonist(s) were annoying" is at least understandable and doesn't reek of ignorance.

tl;dr: Get out and go watch a blockbuster, or something. You're a contemptible cur! I repeat, Sir. You're a contemptible cur!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Tokyo Story is basically a remake of this film!
I didn't even think of that.

Oh, and director's The Awful Truth from the same year is a superior film in my opinion.
I'm looking forward to that too.

I strongly disliked this guy's An Affair to Remember, but still gave it a 2.
I often think of you and Bluedeed as having similar taste. He once called that the greatest American movie ever made.

"It was boring" is amongst the weakest and laziest forms of criticism ever.
But what do you say if a movie simply never interests you?

I often think of you and Bluedeed as having similar taste. He once called that the greatest American movie ever made.
So he likes Sirk and Lubitsch, because he read on some site they should be liked. Well, at least Lubitsch deserves the love.
But what do you say if a movie simply never interests you?
A true cinephile is interested in everything film. I'm watching gay pinkus, for ****'s sake!!! Appreciate my dedication!!!

I certainly didn't love it and thought it's perfectible, but this was one of Yasujiro Ozu's favourites, and you can certainly see that Tokyo Story is basically a remake of this film! Not that this should influence anybody's rating of it. Just pointing it out. Oh, and director's The Awful Truth from the same year is a superior film in my opinion.

All things considered, I think a 0.5 star rating is too harsh. I strongly disliked this guy's An Affair to Remember, but still gave it a 2. I think a half star rating should be reserved for really abominable films that insult cinema as an art form, or something. "It was boring" is amongst the weakest and laziest forms of criticism ever. "The protagonist(s) were annoying" is at least understandable and doesn't reek of ignorance.

tl;dr: Get out and go watch a blockbuster, or something. You're a contemptible cur! I repeat, Sir. You're a contemptible cur!
Thank you for your opinion. Not that I agree with anything you said but feel free to continue on your chosen path. Oh, and my ratings are based solely on how much I enjoyed watching the film so they're not affected in the least by things like "X is a remake of this film" or "Y liked this film a lot" or even " certain forum poster thinks disliking this is ignorant".

@pahaK

"The old proverb that you cannot argue about matters of taste may well be true, but that should not conceal the fact that taste can be developed."
- E. H. Gombrich, The Story of Art

"The old proverb that you cannot argue about matters of taste may well be true, but that should not conceal the fact that taste can be developed."
- E. H. Gombrich, The Story of Art
Come back when it happens to you

Come back when it happens to you
Eh, hate to be cocky, but I might very well have the most well-developed, eclectic, all-embracing taste here.

Find me some other user who loves extremely slow cinema of Lav Diaz, philosophical works of Tarkovsky, humanist masterpieces of Kurosawa, dirty pink films, disturbing CAT III gems, bitchin' spaghetti westerns, legit heroic bloodshed pictures, Brakhage's abstract experimental films, 100 years old silents... and brand-new flicks from 2017, classic Hollywood... and New Hollywood, Italian Neorealism, all New Waves all around the globe, film essays, stylish gialli... and unstylish best worst movies ever made. Cinema from Iran to Japan, from Brazil to Hongkong, from Sweden to Russia.

Truffaut asks "but... is cinema more important than life"? For me cinema is life!

I love cinema, not just single movies.

Yep, my taste can be further developed, but suggesting it's underdeveloped is misinformed at best, and mordacious at worst.

Eh, hate to be cocky, but I might very well have the most well-developed, eclectic, all-embracing taste here.

Find me some other user who loves extremely slow cinema of Lav Diaz, philosophical works of Tarkovsky, humanist masterpieces of Kurosawa, dirty pink films, disturbing CAT III gems, bitchin' spaghetti westerns, legit heroic bloodshed pictures, Brakhage's abstract experimental films, 100 years old silents... and brand-new flicks from 2017, classic Hollywood... and New Hollywood, Italian Neorealism, all New Waves all around the globe, film essays, stylish gialli... and unstylish best worst movies ever made. Cinema from Iran to Japan, from Brazil to Hongkong, from Sweden to Russia.

Truffaut asks "but... is cinema more important than life"? For me cinema is life!

I love cinema, not just single movies.

Yep, my taste can be further developed, but suggesting it's underdeveloped is misinformed at best, and mordacious at worst.
My bad. I assumed you were talking about good taste. You definitely have taste.

My bad. I assumed you were talking about good taste.
I rate your effort 2/10.