Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I (rewatch)

Starts well and ends well (the animation sequence is well done), but my goodness there is a lot of dullness in the middle. A lot of them sitting in a tent or staring moodily into the distance, awkward cut to them staring moodily into a slightly different distance. The magically finding the magical item they need. It might work in the book where you get Harry's inner monologue, but not on screen. And it's so dark and gloomy. It misses so much of the warmth and quirkiness of the wizarding world.

I can't help but think J. K. Rowling's research into witchcraft is probably the cause. Like witchcraft it starts out wonderful and mysterious, but that's the lure into the demonic realm. I stopped watching Harry Potter when a girl got possessed by some artifact and the whole cast acted like there was no demon. What possessed her? I think some evil wizard put a curse on the item, but they all acted like it was just the curse itself, but they clearly say she was possessed. At that point the whole franchise became two things for me, evil and unintelligent.

Loved this yesterday. Disappointed a sequel will not be forthcoming.
I agree. And it had a strong cast with Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, and Edward Norton. I was hoping that Renner would continue on with the series, but unfortunately it went back to that ding-a-ling Damon. OTOH Renner went on to a very strong portrayal in Wind River.

~Doc

This might just do nobody any good.
I liked that Renner played virtually the same character three years in a row with the Mission: Impossible movie, The Avengers and Bourne.

I also forgot Oscar Isaac was in that.

The truth is in here
Hangman

Let me note this before starting my review: just because a thriller has a gimmick doesn't have to mean it's bad. If it's executed in a way that's thrilling or at least entertaining, it can work. Seven has the 7 deadly sins, Saw has the bathroom, Phone Booth has the phone booth, Buried has a man buried alive inside a chest...
Another thing that made me give this movie a chance: Al Pacino is my all-time favorite actor. I would watch anything just as long as he's in it. He manages to lift up a movie even if it isn't all that special, or bad even. Brittany Snow, adorable in Hairspray. Until now, that was the only movie I had seen her in, but recognized then that she had potential. Karl Urban was decent in Ghost Ship.

But this movie falls apart almost as quickly as it starts. First we have a car sequence, poorly shoot and indulgent. The cinematography, looks godawful. Editing is bad. I didn't give up there however, some movies get off on the wrong foot at first. Trust me, if I hadn't gotten past the first 30 minutes of Maps To The Stars, I wouldn't have come to realize what a genius satire on the Hollywood nightmare it was. With this movie however, your lack of patience is easily justified.

First off, the acting. The acting is terrible. There's really no getting around it. Karl Urban is more wooden than a teen who attempts planking. I swear to God, he has the EXACT SAME facial expression throughout the entire movie. There's one flashback where we see a little anguish in his face, but other than that it never changes. There's subtle acting, and then there's not even trying. He must have realized it's not a good script, since he doesn't convince me that he's feeling whatever he's feeling. The movie makes it a point to remind us that his wife was murdered, and yet it doesn't seem to affect him all that much, he just looks slightly frustrated and bored.
Brittany Snow is also very wooden. She tries to show a little more emotion than Karl Urban, but her line delivery is adequate at best. Her character also is the equivalent of crammed in. "Hey, you know what we need? A journalist character!" "Cool! Does she report on anything of substance?" "Report?"
Sarah Shahi as Captain Lisa Watson, for the few scenes she appears in, is awful. Every time she gave out orders, it was so eyeroll-worthy I would rather watch my short films from when I was little. At least I tried to act.
I won't spoil who plays the Hangman, in case you somehow want to see this movie, but the guy who plays him once he reveals himself is the worst actor in the entire movie. Anyone who reminds me of the villain in Feardotcom is an instant no-no, and that is certainly the case here. I'll get more to that later. But by far, the biggest letdown in the entire movie?

Al Pacino himself. I've said before that Al Pacino can never do wrong in my eyes. Sure, he seemed a little confused in 88 Minutes, but he was still kinda fun to watch at least, and in the scene where he recalls a trauma he is great. When it comes to the Dunkaccino scene in Jack And Jill, I'm sorry, but that will always be hilarious to me. He made what could have been so awful weirdly funny.
So it pains me to say this is the first instance of "bad" acting from Pacino. Now, I say "bad" since it's not upsettingly bad, it won't make your heart tear apart. But it saddens me how lost he is in this role. He mumbles almost every single line, and doesn't look to believe the material he's given. Even though Pacino is tired in Insomnia, there is a nuance to his tired look there. You can tell he hasn't really lived life for years, there's years of rotten experience and pain behind those eyes. It's one of his greatest roles. He mentions in this movie as well how he barely sleeps, but it doesn't feel nearly as important. There's no real character purpose for him to be tired, other than the obvious "he's old". Is he tired because he's depressed? Because he's working a lot on the case? Because he feels like sleeping is a waste of time? We never know. So this is by far Pacino's weakest performance to date, and yet he's still the best actor in the entire movie. That kinda tells you how low the bar is set.

And now, the story. A serial killer constructs a game where he hangs his victims while filling out another letter on the hangman game. It sounds fairly interesting, but the execution is painfully dull. The implemention of the hangman game is not well-used. Sure, the victims (mostly) get hung and letters slowly are filled in, but otherwise this is nothing more than a standard cop thriller. We see the detectives doing incredibly simplistic police work and running around from place to place to check out who's been hung next. The dumbest part is when they save a woman from getting hanged, and we don't even see them asking her any questions about what she saw, if she knows how the killer looks like, the last thing she remembered. You're supposed to be experienced detectives and you don't go through basic police procedure? The twist ending
WARNING: spoilers below
where it turns out Pacino (Oh, his character is named Archer by the way) mistreated the Hangman killer during a childhood trauma where his father hung himself, is so cliché and obvious it's actually kind of laughable. Not just a trauma, but the most obvious one you could ever think of! Originality is lowest on the list. The scene where Archer dies is meant to be emotional, but it's ruined by bad execution, and we then get Karl Urban attempting to look like a badass shooting the killer dead making a constipated face. And by the end? Karl Urban's character gets a note where it's implied the game is not over. OOOOOOOOOH! **** this movie. It's not quite as crappy as The Son Of No One, but it's pretty close.

And lastly...

Ruiney.
Karl Urban plays a character who literally calls himself Detective Ruiney.
Boy.

Unfortunately Cate doesn’t get to turn things up to 11 as the film keeps teasing. The look is there, the anticipations builds but everyone involved is clearly more interested in the Sakaar stuff (which I really liked, btw) and thus there’s this big gap between the second and third act. I hope we get more of her. Lots of good actors have been throwaways as villains in the franchise of but losing Blanchett’s Hela this quick would be a real shame.
If you didn't
didn't see a body, she's not dead.
At least that's my hope.

On Hela

In the comics she's the goddess of death and cannot die, and if they were to do a Thor 4 or Doctor Strange 2 going into the realm of death might be how we get the return of characters we lose/lost in Thor films and Infinity War.

[quote=mattiasflgrtll6;1883921]Hangman

Laughably bad, you spent more time on your analysis mate than they did on the bloody story.

Close-Up (1990)

I wasn't crazy about this but I liked it much more than the only other movie I've seen from the director (Ten). I thought the story was interesting enough and overall my thought was that it was an amusing movie. I was impressed by the documentary feel and that the actors seemed so natural. I was then a little less impressed after I read the actors were mostly the real participants and that it was in fact a kind of documentary. That at least explained to me why most of the movie was set in a courtroom, because I wanted more. I liked it, but I would have liked it more if creative liberties were taken.

I liked that Renner played virtually the same character three years in a row with the Mission: Impossible movie, The Avengers and Bourne.

I also forgot Oscar Isaac was in that.
Yeah, Oscar Isaac being the moodiest of moodies in that film. Harsh working conditions I expect (the character ).

The truth is in here
Really? I actually liked this movie. The characters were very interesting and John Wayne gave a nice subtle performance. Granted I haven't seen The Searchers, but I don't see much wrong with this movie.

Outside of the cartoonish depiction of Indians, but it was the fifties.

Welcome to the human race...
It's got its strengths and all but I had no particularly strong feelings about it one way or the other. Having seen a bunch of Ford/Wayne movies does make this seem a bit more run-of-the-mill to me, though (hence the Searchers comparison).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

I haven't heard much buzz about the movie. There were like five people in the theater with me at the ten PM showing. I can't help but imagine if Mother had something to do with it. But it was an intense movie with a lot of psychological content.
Was curious about this one, even more so now, thanks Zotis.

Close-Up (1990)

I wasn't crazy about this but I liked it much more than the only other movie I've seen from the director (Ten). I thought the story was interesting enough and overall my thought was that it was an amusing movie. I was impressed by the documentary feel and that the actors seemed so natural. I was then a little less impressed after I read the actors were mostly the real participants and that it was in fact a kind of documentary. That at least explained to me why most of the movie was set in a courtroom, because I wanted more. I liked it, but I would have liked it more if creative liberties were taken.
May have misunderstood you here as i haven't seen Close Up yet. If not then Kiarostami made Docufiction films after Close Up, they are presented as Documentaries about the making of one of his earlier films for example (Through The Olive Trees) but it is a fictional film using fictionalized versions of the real actors that were in those earlier films (Where Is My Friends House? & Life and Nothing More...) and a fictional narrative that feels like real life, he's trying to blend the boundaries between fiction and reality.

Where Is My Friends House? is a fictional film and it's presented that way, then Life and Nothing More... is presented like a Documentary of the crew looking for the actors from Where is My Friends House? after a real life earthquake in Iran, then Through The Olive Trees is presented like a Documentary of the making of (the now fictional) Life and Nothing More... It's like a Russian Doll Film Trilogy

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Age of Shadows (2016)

Four stars for sheer grandiosity and style. Like Jean-Pierre Melville meets Park Chan Wook. It's too long really, some of the filler could have been cut to make it pacier, but the set pieces really are something - the sequence on the train is incredibly tense and there's a ballsy, well-timed use of Ravel's Bolero towards the end that works surprisingly well.

I'm halfway through this and REALLY enjoying it. Was tempted to nominate it for the Foreign HoF

If you didn't
didn't see a body, she's not dead.
At least that's my hope.
I saw her body and I died .