Okay's Thoughts on Okay Films

→ in
Tools    

movies can be okay...
I haven't seen the movie. I just want to meet your English teacher, please
He's a special one, isn't he...
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Thanks a lot
And please tell me your thoughts afterwards, I'm very interested in knowing what you will think of it.
Ok. Now I can tell something about Three Billboards And unfortunatelly I disagree with you a little bit. I don't think the movie will become a cult classic, but I see its orginality in comparision with movies which seem almost the same recently.
I love the cast. McDormand was really good, but the guys were outstanding: Harrelson and Rockwell rules The characters played by them captivated me totally. And Peter Dinklage, who is able to show with his face so many feelings, was for me a cherry on top.

movies can be okay...
Call Me by Your Name (2017) by Luca Guadagnino

I usually don't care that much about the winners or the losers of the Oscars, but after seeing Timothée Chalamet in "Call Me by Your Name", I suddenly crave for him to win the award of Best Actor, because he truly delivers the best performance of 2017, which is why I adore the film as much as I do. He surely knows how to effortlessly elevate whatever materiel he is given, to a whole better level.

Aesthetically speaking, Luca Guadagnino makes sure his film looks flawless, no complaints from me there. The fantastic cinematography captures the stunning scenery with such elegance and class, and that's not even all of what the movie has going. The soundtrack is just as great and fitting, with its significant contribution to the storytelling. Even though the story is far from being personally relatable to me, I can still acknowledge how excellently told it is with its patience and power, which is why I ultimately loved the build-up to the relationship between the main characters. This is indeed one of the very best films of 2017, and I thoroughly enjoyed it and would totally be down to watching it again.

🌟🌟🌟🌟

movies can be okay...
Ok. Now I can tell something about Three Billboards And unfortunatelly I disagree with you a little bit. I don't think the movie will become a cult classic, but I see its orginality in comparision with movies which seem almost the same recently.
I love the cast. McDormand was really good, but the guys were outstanding: Harrelson and Rockwell rules The characters played by them captivated me totally. And Peter Dinklage, who is able to show with his face so many feelings, was for me a cherry on top.
I agree with you on the fact that the story is far from the conventional, and sure all of performances are indeed fantastic, but I still don't think the performers really play off of each other as well as they should. The chemistry between the cast is there, but barely, and I think that's an issue with the writing.

I was thrilled that Harrelson got nominated because with all the attention Rockwell is getting, I was afraid Woody would get overlooked and he deserved a nomination as well and I also agree that Peter Dinklage is awesome.

I was thrilled that Harrelson got nominated because with all the attention Rockwell is getting, I was afraid Woody would get overlooked and he deserved a nomination as well and I also agree that Peter Dinklage is awesome.
You're right. Rockwell had more expressive character to play and that's why he was easier to notice, but Woody made really good job.

I agree with you on the fact that the story is far from the conventional, and sure all of performances are indeed fantastic, but I still don't think the performers really play off of each other as well as they should. The chemistry between the cast is there, but barely, and I think that's an issue with the writing.
I don't see it this way. The plot is interesting, but strenght of the movie is in twisted relationships between characters. At least in my opinion
It's pleasure to exchange opinions with you, even if we disagree

Totally agree with your thoughts on Call me by Your name. I wasn't fussed on Hammer's performance or the parents' characters - but everything else was top notch. The end shot of Chalamet's face close up was top notch.

movies can be okay...
Totally agree with your thoughts on Call me by Your name. I wasn't fussed on Hammer's performance or the parents' characters - but everything else was top notch. The end shot of Chalamet's face close up was top notch.
All of the performances were fantastic, with Timothée being the stand-out of the bunch, which is saying a lot, considering who his cast-mates are. You're right, that ending shot was truly formidable and beautifully acted.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) by Martin McDonagh

Beforehand, I thought I would have much more to say about the highly talked about comeback of McDonagh, but after finally watching it, I'm neither as impressed as I expected nor as disappointed as I feared. If you know anything about me, you would know that "In Bruges" (McDonagh's first feature film) is my favourite film of all time. It is single-handedly, the one film that made me interested in the medium. Had I not seen it, I highly doubt I would even be a member of this forum. Now, did "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" have a similar effect on me? Nope. Not even close.

With this film of his, I had a hard time adjusting to the occurring ridiculousness, and the snappy unfunny humour of it all, not to mention, the fast paced editing that sometimes looked sloppy. It's hard no to compare this to "In Bruges" and not shake my head in disappointment, when the latter's characters are much more layered and interesting, the humour is much more complex, and the chain of events are almost poetic. I know it always seems as if I hate a film I have mixed feelings about, when I actually really don't, and this is another case of that. Despite all of the missed opportunities, this was still a highly enjoyable watch. After all, the cast does a fantastic job with their not so fantastic characters, and the happenings are interesting enough to keep me wondering about what's to come.
In Bruges was a far superior film IMO. I didnt find this the least bit funny or have the warmth and charm of In Bruges, as much as I liked it. And I've said before on the board, I find the editing at times extremely choppy and a disappointment. It felt like a race to the finish line at times.

Awesome review

movies can be okay...
In Bruges was a far superior film IMO. I didnt find this the least bit funny or have the warmth and charm of In Bruges, as much as I liked it. And I've said before on the board, I find the editing at times extremely choppy and a disappointment. It felt like a race to the finish line at times.

Awesome review

I 100% agree with you on all of this. The editing was ridiculously impatient, it was annoying. The movie needed to be calmed down, and told that with forbearance everything would be okay.

I 100% agree with you on all of this. The editing was ridiculously impatient, it was annoying. The movie needed to be calmed down, and told that with forbearance everything would be okay.

I dont know what on earth happened. Did his editor get a better somewhere else?

I'll leave that now with a quote from In Bruges

Harry: [to Yuri] An Uzi? I'm not from South Central Los ****ing Angeles. I didn't come here to shoot twenty black ten year olds in a drive-by. I want a normal gun for a normal person.

OKay, just one more for you, OK.

Hilarious. I couldnt believe they left that in in this day and age.

****ing hell mate, now I really wanna watch it again.
LMAO. I was just thinking the same thing. Rudest word warning. The rudest.

Oops had to edit. Just too rudest.

Totally agree with your thoughts on Call me by Your name. I wasn't fussed on Hammer's performance or the parents' characters - but everything else was top notch.
I really liked the parents.

I really liked the parents.
They were parodies. The idylic lifestyle of liberal free spirits thingie was just too forced. And that monologue by the father at the end - jeez come on we get the message. I saw it a mile off, then it was shoved down our throats. But that only took a tiny shine off the film, it was still good. I spent most of the time transfixed on Chalamet anyway so it didn't matter too much. And it had the Psychadelic Furs' song "Love my Way" in which I love, so I was reigned in from an early point.

I also totally agree with Okay in the oscars thing - I'm not that fussed with them but of those nominated I'd now like to see Chalamet win the best actor gong.

I also totally agree with Okay in the oscars thing - I'm not that fussed with them but of those nominated I'd now like to see Chalamet win the best actor gong.
I'm not fussed on who gets the oscar. There's been too much hype this year so I'm sort of over it already.