Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

@GulfportDoc

Have you seen Dog Day Afternoon? I just watched that too and I thought that was head and shoulders over Taxi Driver. Though like I said in my review DeNiro was Oscar worthy and the first hour was exceptional. But I was very impressed with Dog Day Afternoon.

Yes, DDA got a lot of buzz in 1975. It was certainly a well done film, although I didn't love the story. This was a great vehicle for Pacino and Cazale, who reunited from The Godfather saga. I guess we can blame DDA for ushering in a whole string of bank heist/hostage films..

Do you see some parallel between this and Taxi Driver? Sidney Lumet did direct some great films. Two of my favorites are 12 Angry Men and The Pawnbroker. Network has come down as a classic, although it left me feeling that it was overrated, similar in that aspect to The Graduate.

~Doc

Yes, DDA got a lot of buzz in 1975. It was certainly a well done film, although I didn't love the story. This was a great vehicle for Pacino and Cazale, who reunited from The Godfather saga. I guess we can blame DDA for ushering in a whole string of bank heist/hostage films..

Do you see some parallel between this and Taxi Driver? Sidney Lumet did direct some great films. Two of my favorites are 12 Angry Men and The Pawnbroker. Network has come down as a classic, although it left me feeling that it was overrated, similar in that aspect to The Graduate.

~Doc
I've seen 12 Angry Men my review a couple of times. I hate that movie with a red hot passion. Even though it's universally loved, I know of at least 2 other members here who hate it as much as I do.

I didn't care for the over the top story line in Network my review or the wacky The Graduate my review, Dustin Hoffman's near autistic actions didn't jive with the story line of a privileged jock from a wealthy family.

I've never seen The Pawnbroker, but I will add that one to my watch list, thanks for mentioning it. I see it has Rod Steiger and he almost always impresses me with his acting...and I'm a fan of powerful performances.

[b]
As I've mentioned many times on this site, I'm one of the few people on the planet who thinks Pacino should have Best Actor over Nicholson for Cuckoo's Nest.

I've seen 12 Angry Men my review a couple of times. I hate that movie with a red hot passion. Even though it's universally loved, I know of at least 2 other members here who hate it as much as I do.

I didn't care for the over the top story line in Network my review or the wacky The Graduate my review, Dustin Hoffman's near autistic actions didn't jive with the story line of a privileged jock from a wealthy family.

I've never seen The Pawnbroker, but I will add that one to my watch list, thanks for mentioning it. I see it has Rod Steiger and he almost always impresses me with his acting...and I'm a fan of powerful performances.
Heh, heh. Well, there again "12 Angry" was from 1957. It would be done totally differently today, as it would have in 1975.

I agree with you about Network and The Graduate. That was a riot what you said about Hoffman. I too thought he was a spaz, and not the best choice for the role.

Oh, you must see The Pawnbroker. It was one of Steiger's premier roles. It's a heavy movie, but pretty moving, especially for 1964. And we get Geraldine Fitzgerald to boot! Such a deal..

~Doc

As I've mentioned many times on this site, I'm one of the few people on the planet who thinks Pacino should have Best Actor over Nicholson for Cuckoo's Nest.
Yeah, sometimes I think it's the character itself who wins the award. Most actors would give anything for a role like R.P. McMurphy!

I'm partial to Five Easy Pieces. Of course I was also very partial to Karen Black..

~Doc

Yeah, sometimes I think it's the character itself who wins the award. Most actors would give anything for a role like R.P. McMurphy!

I'm partial to Five Easy Pieces. Of course I was also very partial to Karen Black..

~Doc
I think Nicholson should have won his first Oscar for Five Easy Pieces

Heh, heh. Well, there again "12 Angry" was from 1957. It would be done totally differently today, as it would have in 1975.

I agree with you about Network and The Graduate. That was a riot what you said about Hoffman. I too thought he was a spaz, and not the best choice for the role.

Oh, you must see The Pawnbroker. It was one of Steiger's premier roles. It's a heavy movie, but pretty moving, especially for 1964. And we get Geraldine Fitzgerald to boot! Such a deal..

~Doc

Totally agree regarding The Pawnbroker...hands down, Steiger's best performance.

~Doc
It's been a long time, like decades since I seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I need to see again.

I did watch Five Easy Pieces recently, my review

I thought Karen Black was pretty special in it. Which is weird because I had just seen her in Family Plot and she didn't stand out in that film. It all has to do with the character they play, like you said.

Panic In The Year Zero! (1962)

Director: Ray Milland
Writers: Jay Simms & John Morton (screenplay)
Cast: Ray Milland, Jean Hagen, Frankie Avalon, Mary Mitchel
Genre: Thriller, Sci Fi

'A family of four leaves Los Angeles for a camping trip just before a nuclear bomb destroys the city. As lawlessness prevails, the father must fight to keep his family alive.'

Woohoo! This movie rocks!...I had no idea that they would've made such a ballsy film way back in 1962. This efficiently works as a 'preppers' guide book to surviving an end of the world disaster. Ray Milland is the man! He's a mild mannered family man who when the chips are down and most of the world is destroyed by nuclear war...he takes a no barred hold charge of the situation!

He stockpiles food, commits armed robbery to get an arm full of guns and then 'bugs out' to the high country. I just kept waiting for him to do some sort of typical hair brain movie move, but nope his character plays it like his family is in real & intimate danger.

Filmed in only 2 weeks, Panic In The Year Zero! has oodles of gutsyness and brutal realism, with some really sleazy bad guys, who Ray takes care of in a rather shocking revenge scene.

One of the best films I've seen in a long time!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panic In the Year Zero 1962 (5).jpg
Views:	305
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	38669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panic In the Year Zero 1962 (1).jpg
Views:	436
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	38672  

Wasn't it neat how the jazzy beat-nik background music was totally incongruous to a post-nuclear war apocalypse?
I liked that jazzy beatnik score, it's like crazy man

You've recommended me some pretty great films, and that one is right there towards the tops. Do you know of any other similar movies? Especially from the time period. Doesn't have to be the same theme.

I gave it a 7, a pretty enjoyable flick that played things to scale .... have to point out though that no amount of prepping is gonna help anyone survive an 'end of the world disaster'

I gave it a 7, a pretty enjoyable flick that played things to scale .... have to point out though that no amount of prepping is gonna help anyone survive an 'end of the world disaster'
Ha that's funny, because I struggled with that very word description, and even tried to find a substitute word/phrase, but couldn't find one that flowed with the sentence.

Don't hold back Citizen, how did you really feel about this movie? Four and a half bags of popcorn? Loved your review and will be adding this to my watchlist.

An orangutan was Samantha's father! Damn I never knew that the same actor did both roles.

I'm 99% Maurice and Endora were married but couldn't stand each other so lived separate. Though it sounded like a more bohemian life style was the norm for witches & warlocks.

I had seen both of these films before, but man were they fun to watch over. Have got to see more Veronica Lake movies.
I must concur regarding Maurice and Endora...I always got the impression that divorce didn't exist in Witches' World...in the eight seasons the show was on the air and all the scenes featuring Endora and Maurice, I don't remember the word divorce being used and I don't remember Samantha ever using it either. I always got the feeling that Samantha was secretly longing for her parents to reconcile, but Maurice couldn't control his wandering eye.

Don't hold back Citizen, how did you really feel about this movie? Four and a half bags of popcorn? Loved your review and will be adding this to my watchlist.
I'll be interested in reading your review. I'm not sure you'll love it like I did, but hey it has Frankie Avalon toting a gun, that's gotta be worth something.

I must concur regarding Maurice and Endora...I always got the impression that divorce didn't exist in Witches' World...in the eight seasons the show was on the air and all the scenes featuring Endora and Maurice, I don't remember the word divorce being used and I don't remember Samantha ever using it either. I always got the feeling that Samantha was secretly longing for her parents to reconcile, but Maurice couldn't control his wandering eye.
I agree with that. I was going to post more about that when Captain Steel asked, but I forgot. So...as I remember Endora and Maurice never said they were married or divorced. I think it's like Captain said, in the witches world it was more comme ci comme ça. The witches often talk about flying around the world and living it up, so I don't think there were marriages in their world.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
From the Harpies Bizarre website FAQ:

" Were Endora and Maurice divorced?

No, Endora threatened an ectoplasmic interlocutory (the witches’ version of Divorce Court) when Maurice paraded a new bombshell secretary around in front of her in #168, "Samantha's Good News", but they clearly did not live together or get along all that well on the show. Yet, they both accepted (begrudgingly) their daughter’s choice to live a mortal existence and popped in for visits with their grandchildren. Bewitched was very liberal for its time. Not only did they feature a couple that were separated, they also were the first sitcom to show bedroom scenes. Florence Henderson once attributed the Bradys to being the first couple to share a bed on TV, but Sam and Darrin were seen in a double bed (unlike Rob and Laura Petrie who managed to conceive little Richie despite their twin beds) since the 1st season in 1964."

From the Harpies Bizarre website FAQ:

" Were Endora and Maurice divorced?

No, Endora threatened an ectoplasmic interlocutory (the witches’ version of Divorce Court) when Maurice paraded a new bombshell secretary around in front of her in #168, "Samantha's Good News", but they clearly did not live together or get along all that well on the show. Yet, they both accepted (begrudgingly) their daughter’s choice to live a mortal existence and popped in for visits with their grandchildren. Bewitched was very liberal for its time. Not only did they feature a couple that were separated, they also were the first sitcom to show bedroom scenes. Florence Henderson once attributed the Bradys to being the first couple to share a bed on TV, but Sam and Darrin were seen in a double bed (unlike Rob and Laura Petrie who managed to conceive little Richie despite their twin beds) since the 1st season in 1964."
Actually, the first TV couple observed serving a bed together were Herman and Lily Munster.

Director: Ray Milland
Writers: Jay Simms & John Morton (screenplay)
Cast: Ray Milland, Jean Hagen, Frankie Avalon, Mary Mitchel
Genre: Thriller, Sci Fi

I enjoyed this movie very much, and it strangely enough holds up to today. Milland was a little long in the tooth for this role, but his direction and acting were top notch. Hey, they used to have us get under our desks at school to rehearse for a nuclear attack, so this story fits right in!..

~Doc