Virgin Hall of Fame

Tools    

I thought there were 6 films, or are we not supposed to watch our own nominations ?
You are supposed to watch your nomination although if you have seen one of them quite recently, watching it is optional

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

movies can be okay...
Looks like a good review there and glad you liked the movie! I'm like you in that I've never seen The Graduate, so I'm excited to watch it for the first time

I haven't read your review yet, but I will as soon as I watch the movie.
Thank you.
And that's great, I'm eager to discuss it with you then, there are a few confusions still running around in my head that need to be cleared up.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

You are supposed to watch your nomination
Think this is the most flexible thing in these Hall of Fames, lots of members including myself most of the time don't rewatch our noms. It's usually a given that we know it pretty well if we decided to nominate it, with the exception of blind noms obviously.

movies can be okay...
Welp, I'll be watching "The Return" sometime this week, I remember having a few issues with it back when I first seen it, so I'm curious to see how I'd feel about it now. Great movie, nonetheless.

Ohhhh, I wasn't aware of this!

Well, I literally rewatched Deep Cover three weeks ago, so I don't see a point in rewatching it again. However, I'll rewatch The Graduate and Leon. The Graduate I only saw once before, and Leon I haven't seen in like five years.

You are supposed to watch your nomination although if you have seen one of them quite recently, watching it is optional
Think this is the most flexible thing in these Hall of Fames, lots of members including myself most of the time don't rewatch our noms. It's usually a given that we know it pretty well if we decided to nominate it, with the exception of blind noms obviously.
Ohhhh, I wasn't aware of this!

Well, I literally rewatched Deep Cover three weeks ago, so I don't see a point in rewatching it again. However, I'll rewatch The Graduate and Leon. The Graduate I only saw once before, and Leon I haven't seen in like five years.

If anyone has seen any of the movies before and can still remember it good enough to rank it from 1-6 (which is what you do with your voting list at the end of the Hof) then you can skip watching it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
two excellent reviews @Okay and @Ms.M
never seen The Graduate so I may need to see that during this HoF
and Ms.M has me curious about The Return, very cool

Oh, and Citizen, add me to those who enjoy Beautiful Girls. It's actually been a while and I'm in dire need of a revisit.

I can't remember the name, but there's even a film out there that downright spoils the ending.
Probably not but there's no chance this is a Simpsons Episode is there? The episode Lady Bouvier's Lover has nearly the exact same chapel and bus scenes at the end.

I do require a rewatch of The Graduate to properly rate it. The only time I saw it was over 10 years ago.

Leon I know well enough to rate, but in order to provide a nice review, I want it to be fresh in my mind.

So, my viewings will begin next week, and the order I've decided on is - Leon (rewatch), The Graduate (rewatch), Sophie's Choice (1st time), The Return (1st time), Bottle Rocket (1st time).

movies can be okay...
Probably not but there's no chance this is a Simpsons Episode is there? The episode Lady Bouvier's Lover has nearly the exact same chapel and bus scenes at the end.
It's definitely not The Simpsons I was thinking about.
I vaguely remember, but I think the main character of the film I'm thinking of was watching "The Graduate" either at home or in a classroom, and just like that, they showed its ending.

It's definitely not The Simpsons I was thinking about.
I vaguely remember, but I think the main character of the film I'm thinking of was watching "The Graduate" either at home or in a classroom, and just like that, they showed its ending.
Yeah didn't think it was going to be that. Agreed though like The Godfather and so many other classics it's parodied in everything. I saw it when i was very young thankfully, didn't understand most of the themes at the time but i loved it anyway due to Hoffman, the humour and especially the soundtrack.

I guess I'll do this, do you have links to the previous Hall of Fame tournaments so I know what type of films I shouldn't recommend.
Siddon we've already started, so if you want to join I have to ask the members if that's OK. It's OK with me. So I will check and see.

Here's a link to the list of films that won previous HoFs Link

I guess I'll do this, do you have links to the previous Hall of Fame tournaments so I know what type of films I shouldn't recommend.
Citizen's link has the winners, this link has all of the films that have been nominated if that's more what you were looking for - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=43149

The third and fourth posts.

The Graduate (1967)

I'm really glad this was nominated as I had never seen it before. I had no clue to what this was about either, all I knew was the famous "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you" scene.

As I was watching it I realized it was more than just a coming of age movie. The Graduate is an anthem to a generation. In 1967 the Baby Boomers were entering into adult hood, and there were millions of them! The were the biggest single generation ever known, Baby Boomers were born right after the returning WWII soldiers got busy and made babies and made babies and made babies. It was a huge spike in the birth rate in America during the mid 1940s to the late 1950s...And this film is symbolic of the Baby Boomers and their changing values, which was called the Generation Gap.

The film shows Ben (Dustin Hoffman) as being adrift in life and questioning the established order of things. Ben doesn't want the status quo, he doesn't know what he wants out of life.

In the opening scenes the director switches from showing him alone and isolated (like in the photo I used) to the party scene that shows extreme close ups of adults grabbing and pulling him all different directions. The adults in the film are all called Mr or Mrs while the young people go by their first names, emphasizing the Generation Gap. The adults advise him to go to Graduate School, to get into plastics as a career, they want him to be like them.

Symbolically there was a generational war going on in the 1960s with the baby boomers emerging self awareness movement...with 'hippies' at the fore, which put the younger generation at odds with society (their parents generation). And that's what the film explores.
Today it's hard for us to feel that aspect of the film, but back in 1967 young people felt this movie gave them a voice. That what made it so important.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Graduate 1967.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	38058  

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

"Leon" 1994

I took a look in the morning at only plant I have in my dwelling and I knew today is fantasic day for "Leon" (the truth is every day is great for Leon, IMO).

The sceond reason is previous film I've watch because of this thread - The return. Both movies are about families. In The return, boys had to deal with unfamiliar father only because of bloodline. They had nothing in commen with him. Leon and Matylda choose to be a family. In the beginning the only cause of their relationship is revenge. Matylda wants to avenge death of her younger brother, the only family's member who she truly loved, but later she bonds with Leon more than with own parents (which wasn't difficult). And maybe first time in their lives they stop being lonely. The question is only who is a parent and who is a child

Natalie Portman was only thirteen when she played Matylda and it's been her best role, IMO. Gary Oldman , who played corrupted policeman on the border of madness, is absolutely convincing schwartz character. And Jean Reno as Leon mixed perfectly rigidity of killer with defencelessness towards close person.

Cheers!