The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
both of these films WERE firmly in place and were sadly knocked out by new watches. Very happy to see others holding on to them.

For Stray Dog, it was the tangible heat that stuck with me well after seeing this noir of a detective who loses his gun played by Toshirô Mifune.
Heaven Can Wait is just frickin delightful. I had originally watched this when I saw that Laird Cregar (the taller gentleman in the image SV provided) was playing the devil, though in List of Cast it says His Excellency which is pretty funny. It was the rest of the cast that won be over as we see the life of a man played out; with Don Ameche, Gene Tierney and the always amusing Charles Coburn being my favorites in this.

Seen: 23/38

My List:
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Time (1 Pointer)

Oh wauw, would you look at that! Must be my lucky day today. I really can't believe it! I mean, what are the odds? Can it really be true? BOTH movies today are in fact neither on my list nor have I seen them. Really is a miracle ain't it?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Heaven Can Wait is my fave Lubitsch and was #6 on my list. Stray Dog is an early Kurosawa/Mifune classic.
Heaven Can Wait (Ernst Lubitsch, 1943)

First off, it's Lubitsch's first color film and it's one of the most-immaculate color films of the 1940s. Don Ameche plays Henry Van Cleve, a rake who dies and presents himself at the doors of Hell, but "His Excellency" (Laird Cregar) wants to hear his entire life story before he commits him to "Below". Henry's life is certainly one of the funniest and most-heartfelt stories ever depicted on film, creating crescendos of laughter and tears along the way as it basically tells two entire family's stories, that of the Van Cleves and that of the Strabels, whose beautiful daughter Martha (Gene Tierney) Henry steals from his cousin and elopes with. This certainly causes some problems, but since this is a romantic comedy, most everything works out for the better as the family evolves and Henry has to worry about his son trying to stop him just as much as his parents did earlier. One of the film's highlights is the sly performance by Charles Coburn as "Grandpapa" who actually won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar this year, although the credit was for The More the Merrier ("Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!"). I'm quite certain that the fact that he had both roles to refer to helped him garner his well-deserved Oscar. Anyway, this is easily a laugh-out-loud classic which I'd recommend watching at least once a year, just so you can feel as if you're truly alive and happy to be so.

Seen - 38/38
My List
6. Heaven Can Wait (63)
13. Yankee Doodle Dandy (66)
16. A Letter to Three Wives (76)
20. Sullivan's Travels (68)

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation
Oh wauw, would you look at that! Must be my lucky day today. I really can't believe it! I mean, what are the odds? Can it really be true? BOTH movies today are in fact neither on my list nor have I seen them. Really is a miracle ain't it?
Wow, what a coincidence! Neither made my list either and I've seen neither, either! Hey, can you put "neither" and "either" back-to-back in a sentence legally...that is, according to English teachers? Oh well, a miraculous day for both of us, MM!

Mine #6 Yankee Doodle Dandy Main: #66

This might just do nobody any good.
Need to get on more Kurosawa. I managed a neat run of late 50s to early 60s entries early last year (Criterion removing content from Hulu put an end to that).

Heaven Can Wait, what a great movie and this is probably one of my favorite Don Ameche films. I haven't seen Stray Dogs.

Kinda embarrased too say this but it looks like most of the 40s movies i remember happen to be the 25 in my list. But then again not every movie fan is film expert on all things movies.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Heaven Can Wait, what a great movie and this is probably one of my favorite Don Ameche films. I haven't seen Stray Dogs.
yes, but it WAS on your list, right? I just can't imagine it NOT being on your list

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Heaven Can Wait is another great movie that I just couldn't find room for on my list. I'm glad it made it onto the countdown anyway.

I haven't seen Stray Dog.

Strongly considered Heaven Can Wait. Fantastic film.

Stray Dog did make my list. It was my #19. Brilliant Kurosawa noir. He came close to the quality of his 60s noir films with this one. A perfect mixture of huge events and intimate philosophy.

Both very good movies but sadly neither made my list

Faildictions:
62. Betrayal From The East
61. That Uncertain Feeling

Just two days after the last one, we have another film from my list: Stray Dog was my #14!

My list so far:
8. Meshes of the Afternoon (#69)
14. Stray Dog (#64)
24. Gilda (#72)

Kurosawa's sweaty Noir thriller Stray Dog was in my top ten, up at number eight! Three for me, so far.

MY LIST
8. Stray Dog (#64)
20. Rome, Open City (#74)
25. Black Narcissus (#79)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I too had Stray Dog on my list.

My List:

12. Stray Dog (#64)
19. Sullivan’s Travels (#68)
25. Five Graves to Cairo (1-pointer)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~62~

Beauty and the Beast

Director: Jean Cocteau
Producer: Andre Paulve
Distributor: DisCina

75 Points - 6 Lists
(2nd; 7th; 9th; 20th; 21st; 22nd)

~61~

Director: William Dieterle
Producer: David O. Selznick & David Hempstead
Distributor: Selznick International Pictures

76 Points - 5 Lists
(2nd; 5th; 11th; 17th; 19th)

I know yesterday doesn't have anything to do with today , but I forgot to mention that I had Heaven Can Wait on my list. It was the third from my list. I had it at number 16.