The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I admit I have seen very few foreign-language films of the 40s and only had 3 on my list which is a lot fewer than previous decade lists.

Rome Open City was one I meant to watch and just didn't get round to before the deadline.
Yeah i'm in the same boat, that post wasn't me claiming i've seen many for the record.

I think people tend to gravitate towards films they've heard are great then if they are like Cricket and end up watching an insane amount they follow up with directors of those "great films" other movies and find some lesser praised gems that work for them. The 40's has less heavily praised foreign language films than everything after, think there's maybe 10-20 Foreign films you see in general "best of the 40's" discussions unless you dig deeper and most of us didn't have to dig deeper since we weren't able to watch enough.

I'm not trying to present my opinion as a fact , but I believe Scarlet Street just doesn't hold up really well.
I believe any movie should be judged by the standards of the day, and not compared to today's movies or today's standards. I kind of hate it when people say a film doesn't hold up. I I mean it's a 1940's movie, either someone can view it through a 1940s time frame, or not.

The story is slow and dull, characters are poorly written and unbelievable and hallucination scene is straight up laughable by today's standards.

Not to mention how far-fetched the entire story is.
That's your call of course. I would point out that today's movies have far more unbelievable characters and far more ridiculous story lines, say like John Wicks for one.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two more I didn't vote for but have some thoughts about.
Rome, Open City - What it lacks in subtlety, it more than makes up for in raw power, although there is some poetry in Rossellini's direction. Dialogue by Fellini. Filmed under the Nazis' noses.
Scarlet Street (Fritz Lang, 1945)

This is a good followup to The Woman in the Window, another film noir directed by Lang and starring Edward G. Robinson and Joan Bennett. In this one, Eddie's happiest moment is the opening scene where his boss is throwing him a party for being his faithful cashier for 25 years. Soon after leaving the party, Robinson, who plays a character named Christopher Cross (get it?), tries to rescue a young woman named Kitty (Bennett) from an apparent mugger named Johnny (Dan Duryea). Chris is a real sap though because he doesn't realize that Kitty is a whore and Johnny is her abusive pimp. Kitty quickly perceives that Chris will do anything for her, so she gets him to rent her a studio apartment, and then, after she learns that Chris is an amateur painter, she gets him to bring his paintings over to the apartment. Things really snowball from here. Among other things, Chris begins to steal money from his boss to pay for Kitty's apartment, and Chris is also stuck in an incredibly-loveless marriage. Chris basically turns into one of the most pathetic characters in film history because Kitty and Johnny are making love in the apartment, and Johnny starts trying to make some money selling Chris's unsigned paintings. And all this happens less than halfway into the movie. I still think that The Woman in the Window is a bit better, but this flick is pretty damn solid.

I believe any movie should be judged by the standards of the day, and not compared to today's movies or today's standards. I kind of hate it when people say a film doesn't hold up. I I mean it's a 1940's movie, either someone can view it through a 1940s time frame, or not.
Well, how exactly should I evaluate film if not by the standards of time I live in ? Are you suggesting that 40s films should be immune to modern criticism ? I don't see a reason why I shouldn't be able to apply technique of modern criticism to a film from 1940s . There are plenty of older films that stand test of time and manage to engage with today's viewer and to me personally Scarlet Street isn''t one of them. I think it's rather unrealistic to expect from people to judge film by the standards of the day, as if we're some major experts in film history who're actually capable of doing so.

Well, how exactly should I evaluate film if not by the standards of time I live in ? Are you suggesting that 40s films should be immune to modern criticism ? I don't see a reason why I shouldn't be able to apply technique of modern criticism to a film from 1940s . There are plenty of older films that stand test of time and manage to engage with today's viewer and to me personally Scarlet Street isn''t one of them. I think it's rather unrealistic to expect from people to judge film by the standards of the day, as if we're some major experts in film history who're actually capable of doing so.
Everyone should evaluate films as they see fit. I'm saying for myself I like to see films judge against the times that they were made in...From both the sociological & cultural norms of the times as well as the intent of the film maker...and the style the film was presenting.

A good example is some people today can watch 1940s American war films, that were made while America was at war, then criticize them for being patriotic, or for taking only 'one side' of the war. Some then say these films out of date, but they were made during WWII and that's the context in which they should be viewed. IMO of course

Sad to say I've never heard of Rome, Open City, so, no, not on the list.

Scarlet Street I've heard of but haven't seen. I need to, because of that cast, wow! I'm not looking forward to Eddie G. "playing the sap," but it sounds pretty great.

I purposely didn't include any foreign films --even British ones-- on the list. I felt that there were hundreds of foreign films that either I hadn't seen, or would likely not see. I do have favorites, but they were kept off the list.

Re Scarlet Street, I'm a little surprised that it rated so high with a few folks. To my taste the film was poorly acted (mostly Bennett and Duryea), although it was probably more the problem of the weak scripting for the Bennett/Duryea relationship. Over-the-top acting can't conceal unconvincing writing.

As others have pointed out, the same director (Fritz Lang), and the same stars (Robinson, Bennett, Duryea) made The Woman in the Window --a far more enjoyable and realistic film-- just a year prior. There's little doubt that the team was trying to capitalize on the success of the earlier picture. But in my view, they didn't succeed.

~Doc

It's not like I thought Scarlet Street was brilliant, and in fact my wife and I laughed out loud for most of it's duration. A lot of that might not have been the film's intention. I am surprised that so many people liked Woman in the Window. I would put that film's ending in the top two worst I have ever seen. I mean it really pissed me off how terrible it was, completely ruining an otherwise fairly enjoyable movie.

It's not like I thought Scarlet Street was brilliant, and in fact my wife and I laughed out loud for most of it's duration. A lot of that might not have been the film's intention. I am surprised that so many people liked Woman in the Window. I would put that film's ending in the top two worst I have ever seen. I mean it really pissed me off how terrible it was, completely ruining an otherwise fairly enjoyable movie.
What's the worst ending you've ever seen?

That and High Tension
Seen neither and i'm struggling to think of an ending i hate from a film i like otherwise.

There's definitely a few at least i just can't think of any...

Can't find the Munich PTSD sex scene or Terminal's life is about Jazz ending but if you want a guy who consistently makes me leave the theater because of his blatant emotional manipulative detritus it's Steven Spielberg.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I liked Scarlet Street, but not enough to include it on my list. I thought Edward G. Robinson was a bit too much of a wimp in the movie, and I had mixed feelings about the ending. I thought The Woman in the Window was a much better movie.

I haven't heard of Rome, Open City.

I liked Scarlet Street, but not enough to include it on my list. I thought Edward G. Robinson was a bit too much of a wimp in the movie, and I had mixed feelings about the ending. I thought The Woman in the Window was a much better movie.
I liked The Woman in the Window, the ending bugged me the first time around, but on a second watch I just took it in stride as I knew what was coming. I bet we'll see it sooner than later.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~72~

Director: Charles Vidor
Producer: Virginia Van Upp
Distributor: Columbia Pictures

62 Points - 7 Lists
(6th; 11th; 14th; 20; 21st; 24th-2x)