The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
There are several musicals on my list, but Easter Parade isn't one of them. It's a great movie with some terrific songs, but it just didn't make the last few cuts. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown without my help.

Sands of Iwo Jima was on my watchlist for this countdown, but it's one of the movies that I ran out of time before getting a chance to see it. (I'm not much of a fan of war movies, so it probably wouldn't have made my list anyway.)

Wow, CR...I didn't know they had cut a number of Judy's from Easter Parade. I see she's wearing the same costume she would wear for her famous Get Happy number from the end of Summer Stock a few years later. That outfit kind of became a famous getup for her and her legions of fans who honored her by wearing the same clothing.

Mark, nice link-up to the two movies.

SilentVamp, I like the two numbers you picked from the movie. It's just jam-packed with them!

My favorite number in the movie is Steppin' Out With My Baby by Fred Astaire and he's terrific in it. My favorite moment is when he goes into slow-motion and you can track every movement he makes, and the people behind him keep moving in regular time. A sublime moment in movie history for me.

That said, I didn't include this film in my list, although another movie with Fred Astaire did. I haven't seen The Sands of Iwo Jima in decades and I didn't have time to re-watch it so it didn't make the list, but I remember liking it. I like most Wayne films.

Of the films listed so far, I've seen 9/14. Getting better and better!

WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS IF HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE AND ALSO WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN IF YOU HAVE MISSED SEEING THE FILM.

Sands Of Iwa Jima Is the 10th film from my 40s list. And its also my first film in the 100 countdown not a 1 pointer film. This film is probably best John Wayne war film and its also probably first war movie where the Duke gets killed in the end. Which is a rare event for John Wayne to die in a movie and when it is it is shocking but it shows in war anyone can die at any time no matter the rank of the officer.

Congrats Ned, you got one on the list I'm always happy when one of my beloved movies makes it onto the countdown.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Sands of Iwa Jima, but it's been a long time. I like old war movies (not war itself) but even though these movies are dramatized they capture the feeling in America at that time and so in that they are a time travel window backwards. Glad to see the Duke make it on the list.

Wow, CR...I didn't know they had cut a number of Judy's from Easter Parade. I see she's wearing the same costume she would wear for her famous Get Happy number from the end of Summer Stock a few years later. That outfit kind of became a famous getup for her and her legions of fans who honored her by wearing the same clothing.
Yup good call, her costume from Easter Parade got recycled alright, but the Irving Berlin song Mr Monotony was never used in another movie, which is unusual as most cut numbers were used in another movie at some point...unless you count the musical documentary, That's Entertainment, which did show the cut footage of Mr Monotony.

My favorite number in the movie is Steppin' Out With My Baby by Fred Astaire and he's terrific in it. My favorite moment is when he goes into slow-motion and you can track every movement he makes, and the people behind him keep moving in regular time. A sublime moment in movie history for me.
That's a great number too. Can Astaire dance or what!? I heard it said back in the day when dancing was big...every woman wanted a dance partner like Astaire and every guy wished he could dance like that. Hands down he's the best hoofer, IMO of course.

That said, I didn't include this film in my list, although another movie with Fred Astaire did.
Bless your heart! I'm really glad to see the ultra talented and very likable Fred Astaire getting some MoFo respect

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~86~

Director: David Lean
Producer: Anthony Havelock-Allan & Ronald Neame
Distributor: General Film Distributors

43 Points - 4 Lists
(1st; 19th; 20th; 21st)

OH SH*T!!! I actually know that one! Have I seen it? No. I mean, what did you expect? But I actually do know about it and I even have it on my watchlist! I'm a God damn 40s expert! Wuhuuu

~85~

Director: Orson Welles
Producer: Orson Welles
Director: RKO Pictures

44 Points - 5 Lists
(4th; 14th; 20th; 24th-2x)

Not seen either again. Would have watched both if i hadn't sent my list in so early due to my exile. Not a big fan of Great Expectations the book but i've at least liked everything i've seen from Lean. Love Welles, watched six of his films but not Ambersons. Thought it would have been higher.

Ah, at last, one of mine makes it! I had Great Expectations at #19 on my list. Love the moodiness of the film and the surprises it holds all throughout. Great Lean movie.

I've seen The Magnificent Ambersons and like it very much but didn't include it here.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
two I (shamefully) have not seen though I have seen a few of the later versions of The Great Expectations and truly need to see this one. I have a feeling this would have been another one that knocked out an old favorite like quite a number on my list had.
And as for The Magnificent Ambersons I remember talking about this with CR during the first 40's HoF and, again, TRULY need to see this one as well.
(Starting to get a nice list of these lol)

Seen: 7/16

My List:
#18 Waterloo Bridge
#25 Arch of Time 1 Pointer

Not a big fan of Great Expectations the book
I am so happy to hear you say that because I am not a big fan of it either (I have really never found anyone else that feels that way). That is why I have never watched the film. I think I saw one version, but that is it. I am just not a fan of the story itself.

What was the mistake? Is it still to come or did i miss it? Just wondering in case the list i have on Letterboxd is wrong.
The mistake that I made the other day? No. It is over and done with and I blocked it from my mind until now. I revealed a film too early. It was an easy mistake of just getting the placement mixed up (all of the films had the same number of points). But I looked at the Letterboxd list and everything is fine.

Great Expectations (1946) :Fine film, but not something I particularly cared about. I thought it was rather strange they casted a 40-year old actor to play 20-year old.

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) : NO.24 on my list. I'm in minority here, but I believe " The Magnificent Ambersons " is a superior film to Citizen Kane. And if it hadn't been butchered by studio interference, I think it could've been one of the ultimate greats. Here's the copy pasted write-up from my late diary thread ...

Welles's second directed feature had a much greater impression on me than Citizen Kane. It wasn't really as advanced from a technical standpoint, but I could definitely connect with the characters much more. Tim Holt was terrific playing a young snobbish aristocrat George. At the beggining I thought he was going to be just a one-dimensional supporting antagonist, but was later pleasantly suprised to see the growth of his character. I particularly liked the dynamics he shared with his on screen aunt played by Dolores Castillo. Joseph Cotten and Anne Baxter did fine as well, although their roles didn't require much range as the previously mentioned. The Magnificent Ambersons had a special sort of nostalgic charm and depth, combined with elements of warmth and poignance. However the film had some apparent editing problems, which were caused mostly by studio interference. I was especially left dissapointed with the film's ending, which definitely failed to live up to film's power. IMO the ending would've been much more effective, if the film ended with a scene of George praying by his mother bed.

It's definitely a shame, that good portion of film's footage was deleted, as I fell this could've been one of the true greats. Nonetheless this is a still a very good film, with occasional touches of brilliance.

...The Magnificent Ambersons I remember talking about this with CR during the first 40's HoF...
I'll have to go and see what I said, I don't remember but it was probably how Orson lost control of the final edit as he was out of the country. The test audience hated his darker ending, so the studio put on a more upbeat ending. Still I do like it.

That was Sean's nomination in the 9th Hof. I think he really likes the film, but just didn't have room for it on my list, (sorry Sean)...but yea! that it made it.