1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Once again! some delightful reviews @SilentVampwith those additional bits of life, that, dare I say, are delightful
I remember the conversations about Now, Voyager and those special moments and the specific one we shared and how your spoiler alert scene was very much like that I completely agree with the feeling of almost relief that happened with it.
With Rex Harrison I have only seen him play grumpy gentlemen and I absolutely love the way he does it with such aplomb.

And with His Girl Friday It really IS Rosalind Russell's film. Completely.

VERY cool. I have Beauty and the Beast and Days of Wrath left to watch and need to post my review for Mr. Lucky (which I enjoyed).
Though this week I also need to knock out my final two movies from the 13th HoF which I need to pick up from my library.

Sent my list. It was tricky because there were some instances when I put one movie ahead of another that I thought I liked more, but the other movie stayed with me more. My list probably would have been different had I sent it a month ago.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Mr Lucky

I didn't know anything about this before going in, except that it had Cary Grant in it, and was pleasantly surprised. I have to admit I didn't know what to expect and it wasn't obvious where it was going which I liked. It's sort of a comedy but not too silly, just enough humour to balance the drama, or maybe the other way around. Often Cary Grant seems to play smug characters who are awful but get the girl anyway, while remaining smug, but this was slightly different - he's a a cheat and a coward but undergoes a bit of a change of heart, partly due to his feelings for Laraine Day's character, partly because of his involvement in the charity he plans to hustle, and partly due to complications around his stolen identity. There's parts of it that are a bit dated - his reaction to being asked to knit, for example, although to the film's credit the joke goes beyond that. It doesn't look great to start with but there are some shots that really do.

How you guys doing? I'm coming back to town from my vacations this Sunday and I still have 3 movies to watch and comment. So i get to it soon.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I also loved The Stranger and enjoyed most of Woman in the Window until the ending.

I liked the ending of Woman in the Window. I thought it added a nice twist.

How you guys doing? I'm coming back to town from my vacations this Sunday and I still have 3 movies to watch and comment. So i get to it soon.
hope you had a wonderful vacation, Nestorio!!

Nestorio, sorry I missed your post. It's good to hear from you and I hope you had a good vacation! Where on vacation did you go?

I liked the ending of Woman in the Window. I thought it added a nice twist.
I liked the ending too, but not the first time. I think some people want a more dark ending, but the second time that I watched Woman in the Window, I realized it's not that kind of film. It's more like a Hitch movie with a gentile Professor (Edward G Robinson) who likes to set along with the other older men in their club and talk and theorize all night long. So I thought the ending went well with the introspective nature of the movie.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Like I said still have 3 but won't get to them till later in the month. I'm on vacation soon as well, so my movie watching will be limited.

Like I said still have 3 but won't get to them till later in the month. I'm on vacation soon as well, so my movie watching will be limited.
That's OK, the deadline isn't tell September 1st, But I can't extend the deadline, because I'm going on a two week vacation at the beginning of Sept.

Mr. Lucky

I've always enjoyed a good "grifter" movie and with a number of them they are set during this time or the 30's and with Mr. Lucky I get my grifting without seeing if they set the time era right or not, thereby simply enjoying the con and all its components.

I believe it was @SilentVamp who remarked about enjoying Cary Grant when he's being bad; and I totally agree. Having seen him playing the nice guy, I gotta say, I really enjoy him playing the rogue. He does it with such confidence and ease. Playing the epitome of a con man even against other con men. Never flusters, never lets things get to him -- well, except when being taught to knit -- but otherwise. . .

And speaking of the knitting scene, there's a nice lil splash of comedy to this without it going into silly or absurd.
At its heart, it is equal measure con and a romance story since it is there that springs board the possible conflict of Grant and a former partner; Charles Bickford who plays him with just the right amount of conniving vengeance. Though if not for the chemistry between Grant and our leading lady; Lorraine Day, I would have been VERY intrigued to see something darker and more sinister with Bickford and Grant taking their conflict to a more intricate depth.

But, because of the romance and chemistry, as well as the character that Day plays, it does bring a more full, and definitely enjoyable film. The fact that her character, Dorothy, has a checkered family adds far more to her than simply a good girl changing a bad man scenario. Their banter and their scraps with one another, and then working together is quite a lot of fun to behold.

Another character, like so many sidekicks, is Grant's Crunk; played by Alan Carney. Played with the usual faithful hound with just the right amount of comedic splash to him. His extension of the knitting scene made me chuckle. Along with just how many men were truly interested and intrigued by it. It was the exact same way as if someone was working on a car engine. It was pretty d@mn funny seeing them all crowd around.

EDIT: @Markf was very cool to let me know that the sidekick is actually Crunk played by Alan Carney. I had Zepp played by Paul Stewart. THANKS Mark!! mea freakin culpa

So, coming to a near end of all the movies in this HoF, I am truly seeing how incredibly hard it is gonna be to make a list of ALL these movies I have enjoyed.
BRAVO, @gbgoodies!! Excellent call!

Yahoo! @edarsenal it sounds like you found a favorite film in Mr Lucky Cary Grant is almost always good in his movies, was he ever bad? Charles Bickford is a fun-cantanerous character here and I always enjoy seeing him in movies. Mr Lucky is a film that has high watch-ability.

We should do a Cary Grant Hof sometime.