1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Right away I noticed that the movie score was over the 20th Century Fox fanfares. That was something that got me interested right away. By the way I hate those fanfares and always FFWD them or put the volume down. I like how the very first scene sets the whole story up. In 2 minutes we know that the story is about Mrs. Muir, a one year widow and lives with her in-laws. She wants to live on her own and decides to move out of London together with her daughter Anna and maid Martha. This is what makes the story dynamic, engaging and interesting.

Right away we are given this ghost mood and it is clear that something is wrong with the cottage by the seashore. Agent revealed that the cottage is haunted but Lucy doesn't care and insists on renting. Very quickly we see a vis-a-vis encounter between Lucy and Captain. I was truly enjoying their conversations and had a few blasting chuckles too. It was all a nice combination of comedy, drama and romance. Camera was great and I loved the shades and lights. Shots of seashore with waves were beautiful and I liked the tempus fugit symbolism in Anna Muir carved wooden poll at the beach. I found this movie very entertaining and I liked it. Good nom @Jeff Costello !

I checked all your reviews on The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and all of you found the movie charming and that's exactly what I meant to say but couldn't find a word. The movie is charming.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'll be using the word charming as well when I write my review for ghost and Mrs Muir as well
Loved your review, Nestorio AND learning what they did with the post is called tempus fugit
VERY cool!!

I'll be using the word charming as well when I write my review for ghost and Mrs Muir as well
Loved your review, Nestorio AND learning what they did with the post is called tempus fugit
VERY cool!!
I'm not sure how it is called. I just made it up. Mankiewicz kept showing us that post how it was gradually deteriorating as the time passes so I found it very symbolic and associated it with famous Heraclitus' quote.

Did it bother anyone else that he stuck gum behind the map? Not just because it's disgusting, but also because he stuck it behind the side that's open to the whole room where anyone walking past could see it. If he had stuck it behind the other side of the map it would have been less noticeable.
that did crack me up when he did it. It's VERY visible because part of the gum (that hides the key) is part way on the side of the frame. Made a remark to my room mate about that and she was chuckling as well.
Of course, when he goes back for it, it is much better hidden BEHIND the map. LOL

I'm not sure how it is called. I just made it up. Mankiewicz kept showing us that post how it was gradually deteriorating as the time passes so I found it very symbolic and associated it with famous Heraclitus' quote.
reading the definition it IS appropriate

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I honestly think that Bruce and Hildy had a chance to be happy together. Unlike Walter, Bruce was sincere to her and legitimately wanted to please her. On the other side, Walter did nothing but deceive her and exploit her for his own purposes. Even Hildy recognized their relationship was toxic and wanted to get away from Walter as fast as possible, but ultimately she fell weak to his temptations. The ending itself ridiculed their relationship when Walter asked her to cover the "Albany strike" with him instead of going to a honeymoon in Niagara falls she wanted. Meaning he will continue to prioritize work over her, until she grows tired of it and leaves him again. So even though the marriage between Bruce and Hildy wouldn't necessarily worked out, because she was too adventurous, I still believe her chances of being happy with Bruce were much higher than with Walter.

As for rooting for Walter and Hildy to get back together, I really couldn't make myself to do so. It might have been different, if Bruce was shown as a vile man and someone who had mistreated Hildy, but by all accounts he was a good guy who genuinely cared for her, unlike Walter who wanted her for his possessive and exploitative needs.

I think the reason that Hildy would be happier with Walter than with Bruce is because being a reporter is in Hildy's blood. She can't just walk away from it and have a normal life, even if she thinks that's what she wants to do. Deep down inside, she wants to be a reporter, and Walter knows that. That why it took so little for her to let Bruce leave and go to Albany with Walter.

I just thought of something, Hildy is just as conniving as Walter.

Look how she put words into the mouth of the condemned man when she visits him in jail. She latches onto something he says about not remembering the murder and 'finding' a gun in his hand. She then totally fabricates a story, claiming the accused said he had a gun, the gun had a purpose and so he was only fulfilling the gun's purpose by shooting the cop. Which of course says the man is insane in an attempt to get him a reprieve from the electric chair, which the paper wanted to do so they could embarrass the mayor. It's pure satire.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just thought of something, Hildy is just as conniving as Walter.

Look how she put words into the mouth of the condemned man when she visits him in jail. She latches onto something he says about not remembering the murder and 'finding' a gun in his hand. She then totally fabricates a story, claiming the accused said he had a gun, the gun had a purpose and so he was only fulfilling the gun's purpose by shooting the cop. Which of course says the man is insane in an attempt to get him a reprieve from the electric chair, which the paper wanted to do so they could embarrass the mayor. It's pure satire.

That's the point. Walter and Hildy are basically the same type of person. They're both reporters who will do anything to get the story. That's why they belong together, and why she doesn't belong with Bruce.

That's the point. Walter and Hildy are basically the same type of person. They're both reporters who will do anything to get the story. That's why they belong together, and why she doesn't belong with Bruce.
Yup, that's what I was saying.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Odd Man Out

I dug this one. Maybe this will finally get me to see The Third Man. Before this I had only seen Oliver! from Reed, which I pretty much disliked. But this one had great direction. The cinematography is first and foremost the highlight of the film. The way the town was film and the use of shadows and the snow made the film look rather gorgeous. I have only seen James Mason in a handful of films but I thought he was rather good in this, perhaps the best performance of his for me so far (although I love him in NBNW). I loved seeing the heist and how it all was planned and went down, that was probably the highlight of the movie for me. I wish some of the supporting characters could have given more memorable performances, but that's just a minor nuisance. Overall, it was a surprising and enjoyable film for me.

+

^^Can't believe you haven't seen The Third Man!
There's a few popular ones I've not seen yet. Makes it so that I have some cool things to look forward to

I've been wanting to rewatch The Third Man for awhile now. The fact that I'm pretty sure I got half of it mixed up with Odd Man Out has me curious to know how much of The Third Man that I remember is correct haha.

I had planned to have a write-up for Mr. Lucky done days ago, but I haven't even gotten around to watching it yet. Late last week I got a request from my grandmother to paint a picture to match the living room of her new apartment, so most of my free time has been spend working on that. I only have a few details left to do and a couple days off work now, so hopefully I'll get to it soon. I'm really in the mood to watch something with Cary Grant in it.

Day of Wrath (1943) - Carl Theodor Dreyer

Thematically, this was one of the more interesting films I've seen in a while. Set in 17th century, Day of Wrath explored one of the darkest periods of Christianity and humanity in general. And that was witch hunting... With the establishment of inquisition in 13th century for the purpose of eradicating heresy, the persecution of innocent women soon began. At the time, literally any woman could of been accused of being a witch, without any evidence presented as well. Usually those were poor, old and seedy women who didn't have anyone to intercede for them. They were accused of ridiculous things like "killing with their look" or being guilty of elementary disaster. In order to extort confession out of them some of the most brutal torture devices were used, as well as the cruel methods of interrogation. It's actually scary to think that this praxis remained all the way to late 18th century.

Judging from the literature I've read about it, the film seemed very much realistic. It was just fascinating to see how genuinely consumed people were in their intolerance, ignorance, narrow- mindedness and hypocrisy. That's why I think that Martha's plotline was by far the most powerful aspect of the film. Slow-paced interrogation scene combined with torture was a horrifying watch, despite many of it not being shown on screen. And when the actual "burning scene" appeared, I was immediately reminded of the similar scene in Bergman's "Seventh Seal". Similarly to Bergman, Dreyer deliberately used glacial pace to faithfully demonstrate the agony of an old woman and to create a certain uneasiness for the viewer. Black and white cinematography also helped in creating film's gloomy ambient. Because most of the characters were dressed in black, they often looked like dark silhouettes, which helped to establish themes of death and evil. Admittedly ,I didn't care much for the romance between Anna and Martin. I thought it was a bit of a letdown after an impressionable first half. It just dragged on for too long and I thought that both actors were overly theatrical in their scenes together. On the other hand I thought Thorkild Roose ( Absalon) was brilliant as an old pastor who is forced to face with his own mortality and the fact that his young wife doesn't love him. It was little details that made his performance special like his shaky voice, remorseful look or how his left hand started to furiously shake when Anna confessed her romance with Martin to him. Sigrid Neiiendam (Merete) was also very good, as an overly possessive mother who is constantly frigid towards her daughter in law. Big fan of the ending sequence ! Haunting sounds of the child choir combined with an act of humiliation Anna is objected to and ultimately her resignation as she realizes the pointlessness of her existence and the pain she'll have to deal with if she continued to live. Brilliant !

Overall I think this was an impressive film, despite being uneven at times. Great nomination !

I expect Day of Wrath to do well here. I liked it quite a bit myself. Nicely written and thoughtful review, Jeff. And yes fact is stranger than fiction. I can scarcely believe people could brutally torture other people, all in the name of their religion. And yet it happened, and in some parts of the world it still happens.

I Remember Mama

A neat little story here about a simple life of a family who goes through many twists and turns like any other. I love how Stevens plops us right into their lives and makes us feel as if we are a part of the family. All the acting was good but I really liked Irene Dunn as Mama and then Barbara Bel Geddes as Katrin. I loved Katrin narration as it foreshadowed her as being a writer. Also liked Oscar Homolka as Uncle Chris. The scenes he was in were some of my favorite scenes, especially when he taught the little boy the foreign swearing. I liked the background music in many of scenes, gave the film a comfy cozy feeling to it. It's a simple little story and it is genuine, which is probably why I really liked it. This being my first George Stevens movie I am certainly looking forward to more.

-