1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I just have to say this:

Oh my God, do I LOVE The Ghost and Mrs. Muir!

I just love it so much!

Yeah, I watched it tonight. For the first time in years.

And, oh, boy, do I love that movie!

That is all that I have to say about it for now.

I'm hoping to get back to the pace I started this HoF with fairly soon. I did watch The Sea Wolf Saturday evening, but haven't been able to write anything on it yet, and haven't read any of the other posts about it either, since I like to get my own ideas down first.

I'm back to using the mouse properly, but I still can't type with that finger. Luckily my hand doesn't seem to be cramping up too quickly now, though I have been trying to avoid typing lately.

Not sure what I want to watch next. A few of you have posted about Ride the Pink Horse recently, so maybe I'll go with that or Day of Wrath in an attempt to stay current haha.

Beauty and the Beast

I like Jean Marais and I saw him in so many movies (Fantomas, The Count of Monte Cristo, Le Notti Bianche, Beauty and the Beast just to mention a few). He was already an experienced actor when he did this movie and it is known for playing a double roles. I also like Jean Cocteau and I've seen some of his movies as well beside this one. We all know Beauty and the Beast based on a fairy tale of the same name originaly written by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont back in 18th Century. There are so many movie adaptation that it is really hard to miss. I think Cocteau brought this story to an entire new level and many movie set ups, dream-like scenes are essential for the further filmmaking development (the whole atmosphere, moving statues and hands, lights, shades and so on). Cocteau also touched up the story a bit. I mean he kept the story however is not that severe and moral towards the sisters and mother like in the original tale. I guess Cocteau didn't want to strangle the audience with heavy moral set and more like to be light and focus on the positive. It was right after World War 2 so it is pretty understandable. Considering it was 1946, I must say camera, effects were great and I like the score too. Nothing to say against acting. It was a neat nom @CosmicRunaway! Thank you

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm hoping to get back to the pace I started this HoF with fairly soon. I did watch The Sea Wolf Saturday evening, but haven't been able to write anything on it yet, and haven't read any of the other posts about it either, since I like to get my own ideas down first.

I'm back to using the mouse properly, but I still can't type with that finger. Luckily my hand doesn't seem to be cramping up too quickly now, though I have been trying to avoid typing lately.

Not sure what I want to watch next. A few of you have posted about Ride the Pink Horse recently, so maybe I'll go with that or Day of Wrath in an attempt to stay current haha.
Really looking forward to reading your perspective on Sea Wolf. Glad to hear your hand is doing better, as well.
I got Ride the Pink Horse from my local library today, so I'll be watching that within the week.

Enjoyed the write up @Nestorio_Miklos for Beauty and the Beast. And glad to hear you enjoyed Gentleman Jim. That WAS a great watch.

Gentleman Jim

I haven't make any notes while watching this movie because I was really enjoying the feature. Saying this, I'm just gonna write a few notes kind of pouring out my soul out as I go. I really liked the movie because it was easily comparable to any modern boxing movie. I had a good time to watch Errol Flynn as a Gentleman Jim, or his chum Walter, Victoria and all the others. I even out laud chucked in some moments. Like, let's say when a child said to his mother: „Mum, why my father doesn't look the same wearing shorts?!“ or Jack, an honest and down to earth red neck invaded the fancy shmancy high class gathering. I actually like Errol Flynn much more than in any other movie he played in. And I'm talking giants like Robin Hood, Captain Blood or Sea Hawk. Respectfully and honestly I must say this movie was his best performance. I was also crazy about camera that was simply amazing and essential to any future boxing movie. And another important observation that I want to share: even though a movie focused on an aggressive sport like boxing they still managed to make it positive and even there was this nice touch with the speech scene between John L. Sullivan and 'Gentleman' Jim Corbett receiving a gift. That was very deep and touchy. And i don't care whether this indeed happened or not. I don't say it is a genius movie but I must say I was very entertained and was enjoying the feature. The camera was amazing dancing in sync with Jim's legs. I think many after took over this idea. Excellent nom @Blix the Goblin.

reading your reviews on Gentleman Jim i gather most of you had a good time watching the feature. I'm glad to see we have a similar thoughts. This movie was one of the kind and essential to any future boxing movies including Rocky.

I just seen a mini documentary on Wyatt Earp, you know the guy Kurt Russell plays in Tombstone (1993) (or for Vamp, the guy Kevin Costner plays in Wyatt Earp (1994)...

The real Wyatt Earp was a boxing promoter in 1896 San Francisco and during a big prize fight he awarded the win to the underdog which brought cries of a rigged match. Sort of like in the movie Gentleman Jim.

I just seen a mini documentary on Wyatt Earp, you know the guy Kurt Russell plays in Tombstone (1993) (or for Vamp, the guy Kevin Costner plays in Wyatt Earp (1994)...

The real Wyatt Earp was a boxing promoter in 1896 San Francisco and during a big prize fight he awarded the win to the underdog which brought cries of a rigged match. Sort of like in the movie Gentleman Jim.
Do you write reviews on documentaries as well? That could be very helpful i think. Since many of them are related to movies or better to say viceversa.

Only when they are full length documentaries. What I seen last night was a DVD extra on the Criterion Collection of My Darling Clementine. I just thought that it was weird that Wyatt Earp ends up promoting boxing in San Francisco and thought of Gentleman Jim which is based on real people.

I found an article about it
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/26/sp...pagewanted=all

Except:

San Francisco was also home to Gentleman Jim Corbett, the first heavyweight champion of the world to be crowned under Marquis of Queensberry rules. Thus, when Corbett retired temporarily in 1895, San Francisco was the natural stage for a title fight. The meeting pitted two of the best heavyweights in the world: the stocky native Irishman, Sailor Tom Sharkey, and Ruby Bob Fitzsimmons, a spindly legged, 170-pound former Australian blacksmith.

There was no problem dealing with the local police: Boxing was illegal, but very popular. The problem was finding a referee, as Sharkey's camp frustrated everyone by nixing several candidates. Desperate by the day of the fight, the prestigious National Athletic Club of San Francisco asked Wyatt Earp if he would consider the job.

Earp wavered, then accepted, reasoning that his arbitration of the fight might add gloss to his resume: "I don't know but what it will be a little bit of tone for me to referee a fight of this kind." What it gave him was a starring role in the first great controversy in American boxing history.

The Sea Wolf (1941)
Dir. Michael Curtiz
Starring: Edward G. Robinson, Alexander Knox, John Garfield

I hadn't heard of The Sea Wolf before joining this HoF, so I went into this viewing not knowing what to expect. And honestly, I found the beginning of this film to be incredibly captivating. It did a great job building atmosphere, and fully utilized that thick fog to its advantage. I absolutely enjoyed a lot of the early shots in the film, with the reveal of the Ghost being handled especially well. The film disappointingly loses some of that visual edge later on, with the haunting atmosphere being replaced by glimpses of the sinister side of man instead. It is a fairly organic transition, but I would've preferred if some of that mystery from the opening was retained throughout the duration of the film.

I actually found van Wyden to be the most interesting and engaging character, followed closely behind by Captain Larsen. During their conversations in the Captain's quarters, I thought Robinson and Knox had good chemistry, and I could've listened to the two of them talk about their backstories and Milton all day long. I wish the same could be said about Garfield and Lupino, but that sadly is not the case. I didn't think the character of Leach was necessary to the plot, or even Ruth for that matter, but Leach in particular seemed almost shoe-horned in at times. Garfield's performance paled in comparison to the one he gave in Body and Soul as well, which didn't help my inability to connect with or care for his character.

Despite being a little bloated, The Sea Wolf was still a very enjoyable film. While there are quite a few things that I would change, I was completely onboard with the majority of it. I found the heart of the film to be quite interesting, and that's really what matters the most.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	32061  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
loved the write up and the perspective, @CosmicRunaway. It's been a solid agreement, even with me, that the romance really could have been left out.
And I do wholeheartedly agree about the beginning. It really drew me in as well.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
As Camo has left the board his movie Odd Man Out, is no longer part of the Hof. However it's well worth watching and perhaps will make the Top 1940s Countdown.

Why did Camo leave? I thought he was happy here.

In early May he privately mentioned planning to leave the forum after the 13th HoF finished, but didn't want to make a big deal out of it, so I didn't say anything. When he decided to join this one, I figured he'd changed his mind and wanted to at least stay involved in the HoFs. Part of me is still hoping he'll come back after taking a short break, but he did seem rather serious in his conviction to leave.